BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Warp spiders squad size

2500 point list. Going to use Warp Spiders and have them deep strike, using them as a high-value target assault group.

Opinions wanted. Should I get:

1). 2 units of 8 including an exarch or

2). 3 units of 5 including an exarch.

Thanks.

Chapter-Master

Bigger squad size.
    The smaller squad size would be good for taking on small squads. But the big squad going after a 'high-value' target is more likely to get the job done.

Not to mention, this also frees up your fast attack for additional units.

"High-value target assault" is a bit vague. Who do you play frequently, and what units exactly do you want them going after? Spiders are a strong shooting unit, and reasonably durable thanks to their 3+ save, but 5 of them are not likely to drop in and wipe out a unit in one round. I also don't recommend deep striking them usually. With a 12'' range you need to drop fairly close to the enemy, and you're relying on them coming in in a timely fashion. They're a lot more reliable when you just deploy them normally--between a 3+ save and the ability to move 15"-30" a round, they'll get where you need them intact.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    "High-value target assault" is a bit vague. Who do you play frequently, and what units exactly do you want them going after? Spiders are a strong shooting unit, and reasonably durable thanks to their 3+ save, but 5 of them are not likely to drop in and wipe out a unit in one round. I also don't recommend deep striking them usually. With a 12'' range you need to drop fairly close to the enemy, and you're relying on them coming in in a timely fashion. They're a lot more reliable when you just deploy them normally--between a 3+ save and the ability to move 15"-30" a round, they'll get where you need them intact.
    I play against IG, grey knights, orcs, wolves, blood angles, codex marines, dark Eldar and those suck @&$ tau I hate so much. We have a small group around here, but a wide variety of armies.

I played a 2500 game against GK a few days ago. On turn two I dropped two squads of 8 spiders a bit over 6 inches from a dreadknight and that was the end of the dread. Now, I did get lucky...it was turn 2 and I was able to DS both units of spiders in together and much to my surprise, neither unit scattered. That said, I have tried that similar move a half a dozen times before and had every mishap and bad luck roll you could get. So I know the treacherous nature of this tactic, but when it works, I get a real kick out of it.

Veteran-Sergeant

I would go for the two units of 8.

I always prefer larger units of all aspect warriors with the Eldar. Minimum sized squads of Fire Dragons and Dire Avengers are fine if they are in a transport of course.