BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

I've found that Life and Death are the most powerful and the lores I hate facing the most, and like using the most. Fire and Shadow are a close second and also have 1-2 punches with their spells.
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

Hmmm... I think that different lores work with different armies, and in those armies, I think different lores work for different levels.
    I think that a lot of fire magic is generally taken on lvl 1's or 2's. I also think beasts is not worth taking on a lvl 4, except maybe beastmen.
    Shadow and life are generally solid choices, but if your lvl 4 isn't a loremaster I'd definitely take Shadow, just because you need most of the Lore of life spells for it to function properly.

Life is safest, Light is probably most fun, Shadow has some interesting bits. That's coming from a Slann's perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterioso View Post
    Hmmm... I think that different lores work with different armies, and in those armies, I think different lores work for different levels.
    I think that a lot of fire magic is generally taken on lvl 1's or 2's. I also think beasts is not worth taking on a lvl 4, except maybe beastmen.
    Shadow and life are generally solid choices, but if your lvl 4 isn't a loremaster I'd definitely take Shadow, just because you need most of the Lore of life spells for it to function properly.
    I think this is well said. I agree that life really needs all the spells to function fully while other lores can do with only 4 out of 7 spells.

I do think that a lvl 4 with beasts can work, but only if you have your army actively geared that way, and by that I mean you take a lot of characters. Since two of the spells only work on characters, but can work on multiple ones at a time, a list with only a BSB and lvl 4 as the general would suffer as opposed to my friends list which has 4 combat heroes, a combat lord, and the lvl 4.

@Ceramic Teapot:
    I hope you are casting transformation on a mounted wizard since it can only be cast if you are on foot.

Scout

@Blackthorne:
    Nope, it's my damsel that slumming it with the peasants. I use her with the prayer icon in order to give my men at arms the same blessing as my knights. The men at arms need all the help that they can get in combat, and what better way then having a mountain chimera on your side.

Scout
    New Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

Lore of Vampires of course. Well that's all I run on my VC. I like playing a war of attrition so I use most of my magic to replace losses. On my Empire, I like Life and Beasts. For my WoC I run Death because it's an army not afraid to get close and drop a purple sun and I take a lvl 2 Tzeentch Sorc because honestly it has some nice spells and being a 7th ed book, they're a bit cheaper to cast. Plus it fits my all Tzeentch army.

Scout

Shadow seems to have the best selection that works in almost every army. That said, I like Light for my Empire - both for theme and that it melds well with the Warrior Priests.

Heavens' Harmonic Convergence is an underrated spell. The re-roll ones for wounding is fantastic for a Great Cannon (being Str 10) and re-rolling ones for Knight's armor saves is amazing!

Metal, shadow, and death are always pretty great. Life is good but only for armies that aren't already tough like empire or wood elves. Light is good for low I armies beasts is good for armies that depend on their characters like brets and beasts. Fire is a good lore to but on a lvl 1 or 2 but never on a lvl 4, and Heavens I was never really fond of. Probably my least favorite lore after fire.

Scout
    New Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

When you are building an all-comers list, Shadow can be a good decision. I've been toying with using Shadow on my Lvl 4 in my WoC army.
    The Jersey General

General consensus is that Life, Death, Shadow, and Light are the best "generalist" lores. If you are playing in a tournament setting they are usually the go-to lores. I disagree with the sentiment that Life is only good for weaker armies. Lizardmen are best with Lore of Life and they are hardly weaklings.

Metal is a great lore as well but if you are playing against low armor armies then it is less useful. Heaven is useful but less so than the previous ones.

Beasts and Fire are the least popular. Fire you might see on low level casters and most people are unwilling to take beasts on anyone since they are largely combat buffs for a single model.

Lately I've been running Empire with Level 4 Lore of Life, Level 1 Shadow with Ring of Volans for a Lore of Light spell. Works brilliantly. My guys get +1 to hit from the hurricanium, enemy gets -d3 to WS from the shadow signature spell (meaning I hit on 2's many times) and, with any luck, I get the Lore of Light spell that makes my guys WS10 I10 (of course I will settle for autorally and autopass leadership for a turn too).Then I have life to make my guys tougher or wrap them in thorns for added effect. It's all about synergy.
    Armies - Skaven, Tomb Kings, Eldar, Iron Snakes, Dark Eldar, Retribution, & Legion
    Blog - http://chronowraith.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast