BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Painting eyes

Default Painting eyes

Hey everyone,
    I am trying to finish up painting my first army, it's Crimson Fists. I am having some issues getting the eyes to look right. Anyone have some advice or good tips on how to do this? Thanks for your help!!

Chaplain

Space marine eye lenses fortunately aren't' as hard as actual eyes. There's no real trick to it either, just use the right brush, take your time and be careful.

To make it a bit easier on yourself you can paint them before you paint the armour.

This is a theory, try at your own risk... water down the paint and drop it into the recess with a detail brush. The paint will fill the whole recess, then hit it with some badab black wash to make the edges dark agai

http://pitoftheoni.blogspot.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Oni has a good suggestion there. When painting the eyes of helmets, I prefer to use a series of light washes. Keeps from messing up the rest of the face, and gives almost a source lighting affect.

As for regular eyes, I find it easiest to paint a thin line of chaos black, and add small dots of white. Have to be patient though, and use the fine detail brush, otherwise you have a lot of fixing to do.
    Check me out on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/InquisitorialMandate or search for MWG Leland!

Chaplain

use a fine brush, brace your arms (most helpful), & take your time.
    for the colour of the eyes, use blood red, put a fine line of orange in the lower front part on the lens, then put a tiny dot of white in the opposite corner.
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Battle-Brother

I think you'll find what you're looking for [URL="http://www.paintrix-miniatures.com/articles.php?&art=7&page=3"]here[/URL].

There are many other articles out there...

Chapter-Master

Quick method from someone whose hands shake like a crackho at tea time:

1. Paint the desired eye colour in.
    2. If you go outside the lines now drybrush the helmet top colour (the edge of the eyes are raised surfaces) back on your misses.
    3. When dry with the smallest brush possible, wash the eyes with a corresponding colour ink or wash.
    4. When dry repeat step 3 with gloss varnish.

All this without saying 'blend 2 parts ultramarine blue, 3 parts skull white, 4 parts guinness, 1 part dandruff' etc.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

For the crimson fists I had I used white for the eyes Dont fill in the entire lens, leave a small outline of black and they stand out even more. All of the advice you will get is good in its own way though so good luck on how you decide to do it and post pics!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I will give it a try tonight and see how things turn out.

Brother-Sergeant

i always hated doing that until i learned a vital painting lesson. do them first. (some call it cheating, i call it less aggravating..... unless i need to do a touch-up...)

if your marines are not yet painted but primed, do the lenses first! follow up carefully with a foundation paint that is close to your chapter colour. paint armour per usual taking a liltte extra care around the lenses.

for regular faces again i cheat. i paint a horizontal stripe of white across the eyes an bridge of the nose. using a fine brush paint two vertical black lines where you need the pupils to go. lightly touch up on top and bottom of eye with white or leave as your hear desires. paint skin base coat. highlight as required.

i'm no prize winning painter, but i do get compliments for doing the small details like eyes on a figure.
    -Chris
    tied more games than i've won and still have fun every time i lose.

Quote Originally Posted by schoon View Post
    I think you'll find what you're looking for [URL="http://www.paintrix-miniatures.com/articles.php?&art=7&page=3"]here[/URL].

There are many other articles out there...
    There are some great tutorials found at Paintrix. Thanks for sharing!