BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Whos you Necron HQ?

Hello my fellow 40kers, had been reading (and thourghly enjoying) the new necron codex and was wondering who you would be picking for your HQ as they "all" seem pretty cool

I bought Trazyn, and he seems pretty cool, but I think I'll definitely start with a generic Overlord 'til I get a feel for the codex.

I really like the duo of Nemesor Zahndrek and Vargard Obyron. Overlord with full defensive kit and orb giving and taking USRs, and a melee overlord with uber-veil of darkness with homing capabilities, nice. Although if I'm low on points (either because of a smaller game or having lots of toys to try) I'll stick to a regular overlord or just Zahndrek.

Pointswise Zahndrek gives you pretty nice abilities and adaptability for low cost of points over a regular overlord with the same kit, while losing the opportunity to take the warscythe(and command barge because of that as well) or the Phaeron upgrade.

Veteran-Sergeant

Edited to remove my own stupidity. Nothing to see here folks, move along.

(The full text of my mistake is preserved in a quote below, for those who'd like to snicker over it.)
    Last edited by Luke Licens; 11-10-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Brother-Captain

Are you getting the Staff of Light confused with the Solar Pulse? The Staff of Light just gives you the 12" shooting attack. You can't take a Cryptek with both Staff of Light and Solar Pulse.

I think you got somethings mixed up there.
    The Staff of light is (just) a shooting attack with str5, AP3, assault 3, but no "turning of the lights".
    That is what the Solar Pulse does, of which you can get only one in each royal court, not 5, as it is a peace of unique Harbinger wargear.
    To take the solar pulse you upgrade to a harbinger and by doing this it trades it's Staff of light for an eldritch lance. If you upgrade to another type of harbinger the staff will also be traded for the default weapon of that class, sometimes this is free, sometimes at a point cost, but always in place of the staff.

You can upgrade 5 crypteks in 1 court to the same harbinger type, and thus getting five times the weapon of that class, (5x tremorstave placed in multiple units for some dangerous terrain fun!) but of the other upgrades just max 1 in each court.

So no "lamplighter" unit i'm affraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Licens View Post
    So, a lot of people are really hyped about the Stormlord and his 'lots of Night Fight' rules. However, a naked Cryptek with a Staff of Light is only 25 pts.

A generic Overlord, and a court of 5 Crypteks is only 215 pts (to Stormlord's 225) and can 'turn out the lights' 5 times. 6 if you don't upgrade the Overlord's weapon. Since Staff of Light only effects one PLAYER turn, not a game turn, your own shooting is unaffected.

Now, you do lose the crazy lightning, but you gain a unit of 15 shots of 12" Str 5 AP 3 Marine killing goodness. Upgrade one with Veil of Darkness, and mix in Lords to taste, and you've got a very scary deathstar.

The really cool thing is that this 'Lamp Lighter' court is also an option with any of the other Overlord special characters, so you can still turn out the lights if one of them compliments your list better.

~Necrons: bringing value back to the Black Sun Filter since 2011.
    you are wrong in more than one way...

first: the nightfight item is a solar puls and summa summarum costs more than twice the amounth of one naked cryptec
    second: you can only ever have one solar pulse per court, meaning per overlord taken, meaning a max of two in a normal army (though it still is awesome in a big apoc game to use ~5 of them hidden away in your warrior phalanx).

Battle-Brother

I would for sure take IMOTEKH the stormlord because in my opinion he brings the most to the table first off he makes turn one night fight awesome! also he seizes the initiative on a 4+ against everyone except orcs also some thing huge he does is in the beginning of the necron shooting phase as long as it is the night fight his special rule creates he gets to shoot lightning at all the enemy units lol which can be very devastating to a lot of lists. His night fight special rule should on average keep night fight for 3 turns which is awesome sense necrons a re a little fragile.
    www.frontlinegaming.org
    Painting Service/ Discount hobby supplies/ Podcast/ Video battle reports.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Amaunator View Post
    I really like the duo of Nemesor Zahndrek and Vargard Obyron. Overlord with full defensive kit and orb giving and taking USRs, and a melee overlord with uber-veil of darkness with homing capabilities, nice. Although if I'm low on points (either because of a smaller game or having lots of toys to try) I'll stick to a regular overlord or just Zahndrek.

Pointswise Zahndrek gives you pretty nice abilities and adaptability for low cost of points over a regular overlord with the same kit, while losing the opportunity to take the warscythe(and command barge because of that as well) or the Phaeron upgrade.
    i couldnt agree more, im gonna use a destroyer lord for the moment to see if they will release model for Zahndrek and Obyron in the second wave.

i think if you have them with an army list that suits them they will be unstoppable.