BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

From 1815-1914 Britain literally ruled the waves and so long as it never got involved in a continental ground war (like it did in WWI) it was unassailable and could choke trade and supplies to any of the other Great Powers, the US and German Empire included. This is what it did in WWI with great success, but as it was also involved in a continental ground war things didn't go so well on that front.

Fair point, but I didn't mean it as sole power so much as 'unassailable' and apart from a period after WWII before the Soviet Union developed atomic weaponry the USA was never unassailable until 1991.

Also a fair point, I worded that poorly. Britain was still the largest, wealthiest state in the world but the USA was certainly in a very strong position. Dominant was overstating it.

It is difficult to quantify, certainly but when you have direct control over a fifth of the human race,virtually every other power jostling for your favour, sending its elites to your universities and your culture touching virtually ever corner of the globe it makes for a powerful argument. I'm not trying to understate Americas influence in the 20th century either, I just think it is naive to write off the British Empires influence just because American culture is dominant today so we can see its effects first hand.

I am aware of the challenged Britain faced, but had they not had to contend with the French fleet in the Americas they could have moved tens of thousands of troops at will along the coast, reinforcing areas as needed, cutting off American forces and generally dictating how the war flowed. But with the French fleet there and the fleet in the Channel threatening invasion Britain simply couldn't respond effectively to what was a relatively minor insurgency.

You are quite right, Britain won the War in 1812-14 convincingly anyway. But had they not had to worry about foreign invasion chances are they would have been able to crush the USA and re-absorb much, if not all, of the former colonies. But with Napoleon pressuring and Wellington refusing to take command they had to settle for effectively recognising the status quo. Imagine the difference 20,000 hardened Napoleonic veterans under a competent general, if not Wellington himself, would have made to British efforts in 1814.

Fair enough, we British are consistently told to devalue our history and culture, even our contemporary status as a great power (just look at Hive Mind to see what I mean) so I tend to get a bit over-defensive. Heck we aren't even supposed to call ourselves British anymore, it is 'Brits' or 'Poms'.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I thought we were encouraged to refer to ourselves as "british" but woe betide anybody who considers themselves English...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master

Funny that, seeing as I'm British by birth and English by the grace of God...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Chapter-Master

Lol

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    From 1815-1914 Britain literally ruled the waves and so long as it never got involved in a continental ground war (like it did in WWI) it was unassailable and could choke trade and supplies to any of the other Great Powers, the US and German Empire included. This is what it did in WWI with great success, but as it was also involved in a continental ground war things didn't go so well on that front.

Fair point, but I didn't mean it as sole power so much as 'unassailable' and apart from a period after WWII before the Soviet Union developed atomic weaponry the USA was never unassailable until 1991.

Also a fair point, I worded that poorly. Britain was still the largest, wealthiest state in the world but the USA was certainly in a very strong position. Dominant was overstating it.

It is difficult to quantify, certainly but when you have direct control over a fifth of the human race,virtually every other power jostling for your favour, sending its elites to your universities and your culture touching virtually ever corner of the globe it makes for a powerful argument. I'm not trying to understate Americas influence in the 20th century either, I just think it is naive to write off the British Empires influence just because American culture is dominant today so we can see its effects first hand.

I am aware of the challenged Britain faced, but had they not had to contend with the French fleet in the Americas they could have moved tens of thousands of troops at will along the coast, reinforcing areas as needed, cutting off American forces and generally dictating how the war flowed. But with the French fleet there and the fleet in the Channel threatening invasion Britain simply couldn't respond effectively to what was a relatively minor insurgency.

You are quite right, Britain won the War in 1812-14 convincingly anyway. But had they not had to worry about foreign invasion chances are they would have been able to crush the USA and re-absorb much, if not all, of the former colonies. But with Napoleon pressuring and Wellington refusing to take command they had to settle for effectively recognising the status quo. Imagine the difference 20,000 hardened Napoleonic veterans under a competent general, if not Wellington himself, would have made to British efforts in 1814.

Fair enough, we British are consistently told to devalue our history and culture, even our contemporary status as a great power (just look at Hive Mind to see what I mean) so I tend to get a bit over-defensive. Heck we aren't even supposed to call ourselves British anymore, it is 'Brits' or 'Poms'.
    -Well said! Hear hear! And all that

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567