BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default A 60-70pt dilema

I'm sure in the grand scheme of things 60-70pts won't sway a battle but at my local GW there's an Apocalypse game next week against Necrons and I've been tinkering with my son's list and think I've settled on something he'll be happy with. Lots of Hormagaunts, a couple of Primes, genestealers a Tervigon, Trygon Prime, some Gargoyles a veritable slew of 'nid forms.

However we have 60 or 70 pts that can be overspent/clawed back/rearranged. The options we have are:
    • 1 Zoanthrope
    • 5 Ripper swarms [with tunneling]
    • 1 Biovore
    • more Hormagaunts

Maybe this is such a minor aspect of 1500pts that it doesn't deserve asking, so I'm sorry if it sounds trivial, but what would you go for? I want to go with the Ripper Swarms because they're fun and it'd mean my son and I painting the last two bases to go with the three he already has. Really though, a similar priced amount of Hormagaunts would be more useful and effective.

Alternatively he loves his Biovore and dropping spore mines on a load of Necrons could be fun. Equally the Zoanthrope has value in that it's the only thing that he's got [except for monstrous creatures] that could touch a monolith but with only 1 [which currently needs gluing back together and I'm short of superglue] I've found it to be less than predictable and so if it fails, your one big hope to do major damage is gone but of course it'd could do major damage, far more than rippers for instance. And anyway with other folks turning up with armies maybe we should just leave the tank busting to someone else?

More hormagaunts. Hormagaunts primary weakness is how easy it is to remove bodies as they run across the table. I generally think of each unit of hormies being ten smaller than it is, because that seems to be average casualties for me.

Well considering that of what you listed, he has nothing that can reliably deal with vehicles. I'd go with hive guard or zoans (preferrably hive guard).

At 1500 I'd honestly run about 6 Hive Guard or 4 Hive Guard + 2 zoans in a pod.

Brother-Sergeant

Well, if your GW is following the actual rules for Apocalypse and not making up their own, then 60-70 points doesn't matter at all. According to the book, even being 249 points over on your side doesn't matter. Once your side hits 250 points over (and every 250 point increment after that), the opposing side gets one more strategic asset.

So, if your 1500 point list is part of a 3,000 point team, you can actually take 1,749 points along with your ally's 1500 points before it matters game-wise, again according to the rules for Apocalypse.
    "Sometimes you just have to roll the hard six." -Admiral Adama
    Like my posts and ideas? Visit my Blog! http://www.dave40k.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

Personally, I swear by Ripper swarms. I always take at least ten. Everyone underates them and the enemy ignores them, but in terms of what they do for points cost I think they are the most effective unit in the game. They are such a pain for your opponent to deal with and fill the 'roadblock' function perfectly.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Personally, I swear by Ripper swarms. I always take at least ten. Everyone underates them and the enemy ignores them, but in terms of what they do for points cost I think they are the most effective unit in the game. They are such a pain for your opponent to deal with and fill the 'roadblock' function perfectly.
    Have a Tervigon give them Feel no Pain via Catalyst, and have the Swarmlord give them Furious Charge. Quite a nasty combo.
    "Sometimes you just have to roll the hard six." -Admiral Adama
    Like my posts and ideas? Visit my Blog! http://www.dave40k.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

If you have a tyrant with Old Adversary, then I recommend flying rippers: adrenal glands and toxin sacs. 69 points for 3 bases. 15 attacks of joy.