BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

I am a fan of the new destroyers. Combined with things like the ctan worldscape power, forcing people into the open and then blasting with ap3. Granted, they are not nearly as good as before, but they do have their uses. One of my good Necron general friends just uses them as cheap fodder for the heavies now. Making them last longer.

As for Imhotek, the potential that lightning has is fantastic! Also messing with alfa strikes is great. But sometimes a simple solar pulse will do the job nicely for cheaper. IMO some of the best items in the book are cryptec ones... the -D3" to charge is one of them.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Brymm View Post
    Doesn't "shelving your Necrons" seem to be a little bit of an over reaction?
    No, not really. Quite a few of the changes in the new Codex were done solely to force existing players into major overhauls of their army. Why should I reward childish behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    has anyone noticed that Heavy Destroyers are cheaper...
    Largely a moot point. Heavy Destroyers now take up a fast attack slot instead of a heavy support slot. In both old and new Codices, any army above a patrol that wanted to survive (much less win) needed at least two units of Scarabs. With Scarabs having received a substantial upgrade, with the Destroyers in general having been markedly nerfed, and with competition for the one remaining slot from Wraiths and the new jetbike unit, Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers are now "fluff only" additions to an army.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Veteran-Sergeant

No, not really. Quite a few of the changes in the new Codex were done solely to force existing players into major overhauls of their army. Why should I reward childish behavior?
    You can easily play with your entire collection of necron models and still win. You dont -need- new models you -need- to relearn what you do have.

I disagree with your comments on heavy and regular destroyers. I think that they have a spot in the army, force enemies into the open with the c'tan and worldshaping and then gun them down with AP 3.

Brother-Captain

For the cost of the Destroyers and C'Tan, I could get two Monoliths and do it better. Or, for a lot less, I could use the FA slot to get more Scarabs, and then I wouldn't need the C'Tan nor AP3 for anything.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Quote Originally Posted by Tynskel View Post
    has anyone noticed that Heavy Destroyers are cheaper...
    Reduced movement from 24" to 12", reduced WBB from 4+ to 5+, Range 36" (Heavy Bolter range?), preferred enemy (useless for them in 5th edition) and reduced cost from 65 to 60 (for a single-shot, 1 wound model), not really a bargain.

How many Space Marine 48" range Lascannons can you stick in a group of Longfangs for 260 points: the cost of 5 missmatched range and strength Destroyers and Heavy Destroyers? As a bonus the Longfangs can split their firepower and counter assault (which would make preferred enemy a bit more useful).

With mixed Destroyers/Heavy Destroyers you'll roll just 7 dice for shooting each turn, just 3 dice if your target is greater than 24" away.

A better example of the Heavy Destroyers mothball status:
    3 wounds of Heavy Destroyers = 160 points
    30 wounds of Scarabs = 150 points

I've played several games using Newcrons - I didn't come across any time I would have preferred to have 3 Heavy Destroyers instead of Scarabs - roll 3 dice with Lascannons for a 20% percent chance to glance and a 10 % chance to Pen AV14, or for 10 less points roll 50 dice with Scarabs which will remove any armour in the game...
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 11-17-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Heavy destroyers have something over long fangs in that they can move AND fire where long fangs suffer if they have to move and the 36" range is mitigated by the fact they can move 12" and still fire.

Now i'm not saying the cost for them is justified and they aren't as good as they used to be but long range anti-tank isn't exactly available in droves in the codex

Agreed.

With 19-24" assault range the scarabs are your anti-mech weapon of choice. Nightfight / Solar Pulse gets them into base to base with enemy vehicles. IG Chimera spam, rhino/razor spam, even the Stormtoaster tastes the same to Scarabs en-mass. Hit a Razorback just 5x and even scarabs will pen on 3's.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Scarabs Vs Reaver Titan

Yeah thats pretty much my view aswell, 150 points and the fact tomb spyders are a billion times better now for free reinforcements means the anti-mech is sorted in all aspects.

Still would be nice to have a chance to destroy that annoying predator/leman russ/vindicator in the 1st turn rather than waiting for the scarabs to get there and Zahndrekh can give them tank hunters too for strength 10

Just wait until they start eating Titans, Baneblades and Stompas in 1 turn during friendly Apoc games! Lol

Outflanking Scarabs anyone?
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 11-18-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Chapter-Master

4 things changed: 1) WBB--- which you can use 3 times a game turn, instead once every game round! 2) no longer jetbikes. 3) now 5 points cheaper. 4) Preferred Enemy.

The WBB is a significant enhancement.
    The jetbike loss is a loss, but I wouldn't say crippling. Generally, you want those guns shooting each turn.
    The cheaper = better!
    The preferred enemy may not be the best thing in the world, but it aides to keep them alive longer. Especially if you are thinking about regular destroyers. A marine combat squad that gets torn up by the AP3 fire will be vanquished by the preferred enemy on a charge.

Ultimately, the heavy destroyers are still 'Flying Lascannons'. 3 of them for a Doom Scythe. Which isn't bad--- with proper shennanigans, you can always have cover saves. The Doom Scythe will be hard to keep alive for long.

What it comes down to is: what are you using for your anti-tank? If you are using Annihilation Barges, you will need heavy firepower for anti-tank. Scarabs are nice n' all, but, are a high priority target, and don't work until you are in CC. In many ways, scarabs are a higher priority than the Destroyers.

Hmmm.... Heavy Gauss Cannons cannot 'glance', as much as everyone would want them to. They are Str 9--- 9+6 = 15 a pen.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 11-20-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast