BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    WE and Bret wouldnt be too bad if done properly but would prefer seperate books, only reason to join them is to give each less options and be lazy
    You are right, they wouldn't be that bad, they would be ABSOLUTELY F*****G AWFULL! Honestly, taking two armies, who already have their own distinct background, more than enough troop types to field valid and vaired armies, who have completely different playstyles and mashing them together is a ridiculous idea. The only connection they share is that they happen to be neighbours. So on that basis, why not do Lizardmen and Dark Elves!? Dwarves and Skaven!? The only possible redeeming feature for this idea is that you would end up with armies consisting of the best cavalry in the game backed up by the best archers in the game and thus have game breaking super armies. But even then, Bret and WE players would still be mighty unhappy (as would everyone else, I hasten to add).

Which is why I'm hoping I've misunderstood this and that someone can shed more light on it rendering my current nerd rage premature.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

maybe the "combined release" is just that they will be released at same time?
    would break the current habbit but ATM gw is already breaking habbits left, right and center.

it could also be that these books are more of an update (points, fluff, wargear, rules) and less of an upgrade (fewer new things) and therefore not much new stuff would come out (as has been said: the armies are allready quite fleshed out and have many good plastic boxes.

They are getting seperate books. The confusion came about because someone claimed there was going to be a combined WE/Bret book and Ghost said he thought they may have seen something related to the contingency book and jumped to the wrong conclusion, if I recall correctly.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Veteran-Sergeant

I agree, I think common sense should dictate that it was probably something along the lines of them being released 'bout the same time and the whispers' train turned it into the contingent.
    -insert epic signature-

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    They are getting seperate books. The confusion came about because someone claimed there was going to be a combined WE/Bret book and Ghost said he thought they may have seen something related to the contingency book and jumped to the wrong conclusion, if I recall correctly.
    Nerd rage assuaged thanks eldarga!l
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Honestly, taking two armies, who already have their own distinct background, more than enough troop types to field valid and vaired armies, who have completely different playstyles and mashing them together is a ridiculous idea. The only connection they share is that they happen to be neighbours.
    Read some more fluff - Bretonnia is Wood Elves puppet country, a buffer to protect their forest. Lady of the Lake is an elven deity, damsels and prophetesses are trained in magic by elves in the forest, and the green knight is a forest spirit.

I'm don't like the idea of combining them into one book but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dont-Be-Haten View Post
    Araby are like the survivors of the tomb king descendants no?
    No.
    Last edited by Keyoz; 11-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.

Veteran-Sergeant

So things were put into perspective for me last night on the reason there probably will not be any new armies or whatever. Basically it was summed up to me that GW only has an allotted group of designers that work on all of the fantasy armies, and there are already 16 armies in fantasy? With any expansion you are putting a heavier work load on a group of designers that are not going to increase. And the return on sales would not compensate for the return on investment. So it in fact would be pointless for any further new product lines.

Which made sense to me. Which is sad, I'd rather have chaos dwarfs than more humans I don't care about. xD
    -insert epic signature-

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Keyoz View Post
    Read some more fluff - Bretonnia is Wood Elves puppet country, a buffer to protect their forest. Lady of the Lake is an elven deity, damsels and prophetesses are trained in magic by elves in the forest, and the green knight is a forest spirit.

I'm don't like the idea of combining them into one book but it makes sense.
    Utter nonsense. Have you made this your account just to troll me? I've read plenty of fluff and clearly far more than you. Bretonnia is not the wood elves 'puppet country'. WE retreated into the woods when all the other elves left after the war of the beard and settled there, becoming more introverted. The Brets didn't wander into the land next door until much later. In fact if you read the Time of Legends stuff, they are forced into there by Sigmar's actions around 2000 years later and Bretonnia doesn't become united under Giles until nearly another 1000 years after that. WE don't bother with the Bretonnians except when stupidly wander into Athel Loren, a mistake they don't make twice. They occasionally fight against mutal enemies, but that is the extent of their link. WE like having Brets there as a buffer, but show me a single reference to back up your other claims as I have never heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    Utter nonsense. Have you made this your account just to troll me? I've read plenty of fluff and clearly far more than you.
    Try getting your hands on WHFRP 2ed. Knights of the Grail book. Its not like they try to hint at that stuff- they state plainly that the Fay (guys who steal children and train Damsels) are WE and Fay Enchantress is an Elven Sorceress (page 42).

If you look at the actual model of the Fay Enchantress - she looks like one of the older Elf sculpts.

Of course as with almost everything in WHFB/40K there is conflicting Black Library fluff because writers don't do the damn research, but when you realise that Fay are actually Wood Elves it becomes obvious that Damsels are their human agents and WE control the country using religion.
    Last edited by Keyoz; 11-17-2011 at 01:37 PM.

Chapter-Master

Ah and here enters the problem. There is a lot of debate about how cannonical the roleplay stuff is, given it is published under license by a variety of different companies over time and GW not being quite as tight with it as they are with the license for something like their video games. And even it were considered cannonical, it is still a stretch to call Bretonnia their puppet country and it certainly does not make sense from a gaming point of view to combine them into one book as they are two very seperate armies with seperate identities and playstyles.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast