BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?

As I've said recently in another thread, I'm more excited about 40,000 then I have been in years; maybe a decade. So, let's ponder the future of the far flung future, shall we. This will be a free form thread on my thoughts regarding what's coming next. Prognastication.

So, having voraciously consumed all recent rumors regarding 40,000 both here and on Warseer, what that future look like? Well, the rumors are strarting to seriously contradict one another and lots of it probably depends upon what you want to believe I guess. Personally, if I'm honest, I WANT to belive the next two codexes will be Chaos Legions and Chaos Renegades. Okay, I'd be willing to swap the order.

Anyway, the rumors as I see them, are that the following are coming (the order is the real question, isn't it?): Chaos Renegades (LatD FTW!!!!), Chaos Legions, Tau, Eldar, Black Templars and 6th Ed. Many grew very excited that Tau were said to be next. Others (including myself) were excited that Chaos Legions were said to be after that and that there was even a possability that a Chaos Renegades (Traitor guard, mutants, etc.). Having said all that, obviously it can't all happen next year. So, what are we to make of all this?

Well, I think the first thing to do it plug 6th edition into July next year. I think it is pretty obvious that this will be the big deal next year. Just too much pointing to this being a certainty for me. Given that, that means one or two codexes before the release -- mabe a White Dwarf one as well. Personally, I'm leaning toward 2 codexes, as there were only 2 official this year and I think it will be a real 40,000 year next year. So, if that means three codexes next year, what can we deduce?

Well, though I was kinda excited about Tau being next, just for the whole more Xenos thing ('cause I don't wanna play them myself), I think this really means Tau might be screwed. Because, upon deeper reflection, I don't believe for a second that the next codex will not be a space marine codex -- so, given rumors, that means Black Templars. And since I believe the 6th edition July thing, that means that the November slot will be the vanilla Space Marines. That means that there will be only room for one real codex around May sometime. I'm guessing the Chaos Legions book, with a featuring of Chaos in the boxed set for 6th. Either way, I personally believe that the Chaos Renegades 'book' will actually be a WD release thing around June.

So, in the end, I guess I'm looking at:

Black Templars -- Chaos Legions -- 6th Ed. -- Space Marines

Of course, that looks like too much marines. So perhaps this is more likely:

Black Templars -- Tau -- 6th Ed. -- Space Marines

Hmmmm.... Neither feels right considering the big Tau and Chaos Legions rumors lately. There is also the supposed Chaos thrust of 6th edition that is hinted at (which my gut says is true), and leaving Chaos Legions to 2013 does not seem to support that. Also, it has been forever since Eldar were done (which I'm kinda fine with truth be told ... stop with the whole dying race thing already, get it over with).

So ..... I think I'm hurting my brain. Still, I guess I'll go with this:

Black Templars -- Tau -- 6th Ed. -- Space Marines
    *with a Renegades (LatD) list in WD May-June or June-July

So, are you pondering what I'm pondering? Man, watching too much Pinky and the Brain lately.

Why keep putting Black Templar before 6th ed or even Chaos Legions? We have not even heard any rumors on them yet. (Unlike say. Chaos and 6th.)

In all honesty I keep seeing people sticking Tau here, But I doughy that too.

With 6th so close, and the rumors we have now... I got a feeling we are going to see a fairly heavy Fantasy Release sceudal until July/August, or if thier is a 40k release it's probly not going to be a new book.

Just my own speculation.
    =U
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    Why keep putting Black Templar before 6th ed or even Chaos Legions? We have not even heard any rumors on them yet. (Unlike say. Chaos and 6th.)

In all honesty I keep seeing people sticking Tau here, But I doughy that too.

With 6th so close, and the rumors we have now... I got a feeling we are going to see a fairly heavy Fantasy Release sceudal until July/August, or if thier is a 40k release it's probly not going to be a new book.

Just my own speculation.
    =U
    Actually, I've seen several rumors regarding Black Templars. Besides, I contend that GW is incapable of going two codexes in a row that are not a Space Marine chapter of some kind (Chaos does not count). WD codexes do not count for this. Also, there will be at least one full on codex before 6th summer release. Believing there will not be a full 40,000 codex for 6-8 monthes is flat out ludicrous.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzigum View Post
    I WANT to belive
    X-Files FTW! God, it's been a long time since I've seen that show.

So time for me to put my two cents in:
    -I'm pretty sure that Eldar are going to be the November release. Eldar/Elves almost always get this slot.
    -Legions are almost definitely before Renegades. The more reliable rumors I've heard have said that the current craptastic codex Gav Thorpe left us like a flaming bag of dog turds on the front porch will receive an extensive WD update around the time Legions comes out in order to have it completely focus on renegades.
    -New editions are always a summer release.

That being said, I'm looking forward to seeing what the new edition brings. An advancement of the fluff would be nice, but I'm worried about some of the rumors I've been hearing regarding the directions it might be taking, like the bit about 'Chaos teams up with IoM to fight Xenos.' This reeks of Wardism, and should be saved for the fan fiction. The rumors 'to hit' modifiers have gotten me excited, as I think they will add a rebalancing element to the game. Now speed will really be the best weapon for the Eldar, while the lumbering parking lots and Razorspam which dominate our tables will be (hopefully) be forced to adapt to an increased chance of enemies blowing up their vehicles from afar. Really, I'm astonished that GW hasn't made more use of BS modifiers. The only one I can remember was that one Nurgle Minor Psychic Power in the 3rd ed. CSM codex... I miss that codex. Sure, it was clunky and convuluted, but you could do so much with it, like actually playing individual legions!

I do hope that GW does BT sometime soon. Though I never played them, they were always my favorite of the Space Marine chapters, both in terms of looks and fluff. (Screw you, Codex Astartes! 50,000 battle brothers FTW!)

Brother-Captain

I'd expect to see Black Templars in 2013 to coincide with the release of the video game that features them. I wouldn't be surprised if the models were already finished or in progress (which would explain why there have been a few rumored sightings of them) but they're on hold for a while.

I'm going to take a leap and guess this release order

February 2012: Tau
    May 2012: Chaos Legions
    July 2012: 6th Edition
    September 2012: 6th Edition Box Set featuring Chaos Legions vs. Dark Angels, plus White Dwarf Dark Angel update
    November 2012: Vanilla Space Marines

Quote Originally Posted by Lerra View Post
    I'd expect to see Black Templars in 2013 to coincide with the release of the video game that features them. I wouldn't be surprised if the models were already finished or in progress (which would explain why there have been a few rumored sightings of them) but they're on hold for a while.

I'm going to take a leap and guess this release order

February 2012: Tau
    May 2012: Chaos Legions
    July 2012: 6th Edition
    September 2012: 6th Edition Box Set featuring Chaos Legions vs. Dark Angels, plus White Dwarf Dark Angel update
    November 2012: Vanilla Space Marines
    This I would love. Still, that would mean three codexes in a row that are not Space Marines. Can we believe this of GW? Perhaps there is precidence for this at the tail end of some of the previous editions? I should look it up.

Veteran-Sergeant

my 2.56 cents, i think these times will be delayed by fantasy. arent woodelves due and dwarfs? i also heard some stuff about orcs and empire. the reason i think this will be the case is that theres the new fantasy edition and many books are quite old. 6 books(counting the 3 you mentioned above)- 7 months. i wish.

i want to see both tau and legions asap, i play chaos and i want to play tau so badly...

Actually, I've seen several rumors regarding Black Templars.
    Were the flying blue blazes have you seen that?

I haven't see jack get post about the Black Templar lately. Much more Tau and Chaos stuff.
    =/

Besides, I contend that GW is incapable of going two codexes in a row that are not a Space Marine chapter of some kind (Chaos does not count). WD codexes do not count for this.
    1)The marine every other release thing is more of a 5th ed thing then anything eals. For example we got Orks and then Deamons right after, can't remember far enought back for other examples. Hopefully in 6th we will see the end of Marine-Hammer 40k.
    >___>

2)And even then. Why would Chaos Marines not count as Marines?

Believing there will not be a full 40,000 codex for 6-8 monthes is flat out ludicrous.
    I could see it personally. Their are plenty of 40k armies that need their 2nd or 3rd release waves to finish filling out their ranges. Nids, Space Wolves, and Imperial Guard Spring to mind off the top of my head.

In Fantasy Wood Elfs and Brets NEED updated. On top of that Empire, Dwarfs and Vampires are rumored for updates. Thier is also the idea of a "Contingents" expansion floating around.

They could easily go 6 months with out a new 40k book....

With-in a 6 month span we usely get 2, sometimes 3 books. So all I'm saying is I will not be surprised to see two fantasy books in a row.

Do I know that for a fact? Nupe. Just my speculation. Not worth that much of course, but no more or less then yours.
    =U
    Last edited by Lockark; 11-21-2011 at 12:15 AM.

There have been some BT rumours on Warseer. BT before TAu, plastic Neophyte and Brethren kits, emphasis on larger units of these supporting power armoured brethren or something. Sonme kind of special knight kit.

So:

BT
    Tau
    Chaos Legions
    C:SM
    Eldar
    SoB

Would be my educated guess. I'm more sure of the last three than the first three.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    There have been some BT rumours on Warseer. BT before TAu, plastic Neophyte and Brethren kits, emphasis on larger units of these supporting power armoured brethren or something. Sonme kind of special knight kit.

So:

BT
    Tau
    Chaos Legions
    C:SM
    Eldar
    SoB

Would be my educated guess. I'm more sure of the last three than the first three.
    Even if 6th was in August, That doesn't leave alot of room for Fantasy Releases....

O.o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast