BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default WYSIWYG camo cloaks for Guardsmen, on the cheap

Would the following be acceptable from a WYSIWYG prospective for giving guardsmen camo-cloaks?

I want to a whole army of stealth vetrans... and doing them all wearing cloaks like the gaunt's ghosts models is beyond my buget and modeling skills...

However, if you look at this squad of space marines with camocloaks, one of them just has their camo-cloak rolled up on their back

[url]http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440273a&prodId=prod1060 078[/url]

Now, that simple rolled up cloak I can do very easily and cheaply...

If I made a similar roll for each of my guardsmen, do you think this would be acceptable to show they have a camo-cloak?

Chapter-Master

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but for tournys, check with your TO, especially if you are concerned about WYSiWYG points. Maybe have the sergeants and commanders and/or special operatives like snipers or heavy weapon's teams with un furled cloaks as well; in creases the cost/modelling difficulty, but on only a few key models it shouldnt be too big a concern.

Other option is to paint them looking like they have camo war paint on and use some plastic leaves from aquarium plants to look like they are trying to blend in to their surroundings with something other than a cape. Again, you would probably want to check that this would be OK with a TO
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Adeptus Custodes

I've seen Ghillie suits made of shredded toilet paper- thats as cheap as it comes - maybe try tissues?
    More Necromunda please.

The old metal scouts models had their cloaks rolled up...now if those are GW sanctioned camo cloaks then anything you make that resembles that must be ok.

You could always do a base with footprints only on it near a shrub...the guy is so well camouflaged that he is invisible!

Veteran-Sergeant

I made ghillie suits for my old metal scouts using flocking and wire mesh. It work so well I forgot them in terrain all the time.

Chapter-Master

Shredded sprue ghillie suits...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

i have used medical gauze in the past, dip it in green wash, then PVA dlue & drape it over your figure, sprinkle in flock.....job done!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by tongalad View Post
    You could always do a base with footprints only on it near a shrub...the guy is so well camouflaged that he is invisible!
    I remember that Golden Demon entry. But it was a Tau Stealthsuit, iirc.