BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Exclamation Logan Wing w/o terms?

I was thinking about a logan wing army with very few if any terminators....think 30 wolf guard...with combi meltas...in pods. what do you guys think about that? are 30 melta shots worth 150 pts? would it actually be effective? will your opponent ever play you again? idk just wondering what yall think

Quote Originally Posted by jksigler View Post
    I was thinking about a logan wing army with very few if any terminators....think 30 wolf guard...with combi meltas...in pods. what do you guys think about that? are 30 melta shots worth 150 pts? would it actually be effective? will your opponent ever play you again? idk just wondering what yall think
    i'm thinking you are only going to hit with 20 of those, I won't bother doing the math but i'm guessing maybe 10-15 will be effective, and not all will hit the vehicles to earn their points back. And after that you have "only" got 30 termies.

Personally my BT army would eat that up by simply reserving my forces, letting you land and maybe pop a rhino or two and then I'd go to town on you =)

The more pertinent question would be, would you be able to get a hold of, or afford, 30 combi-meltas?

Those things are like hens teeth on ebay, and don't come cheap.

But even if you had 30 combi-meltas, I don't think you will need that many.

You are almost certain to loose bodies before you get a good target in your sights. With everyone packing meltas, you are loosing them from the first casualty. Better to at least have a few guys with nothing to put wounds on.

The more pertinent question would be, would you be able to get a hold of, or afford, 30 combi-meltas?
    Yes it is quite silly...I have managed to make a few with bolters, meltas, green stuff and alot a patience with good results.

But even if you had 30 combi-meltas, I don't think you will need that many.
    Yeah I've been thinking 20 would be better so that you can drop 10 first turn next to something nasty and save 10 to drop later after you get some enemy units out in the open. Maybe give the second unit combi plasma instead. My plans for this would be to decimate a squad of infantry, cavalry, bikes, terminators etc. not vehicles

You are almost certain to loose bodies before you get a good target in your sights. With everyone packing meltas, you are loosing them from the first casualty. Better to at least have a few guys with nothing to put wounds on
    Very good point. The plan would be to fire them all as soon as they land but plans don't always work. If they survive the enemy shooting phase they are still wolf guard with 2 attacks and counter-attack if assaulted.

I know this would not be extremely effective everytime but imagine dropping 2 of these squads on either side of a landraider full of terminators, popping the LR with one squad and severely wounding the termie squad that comes out with the other

Thanks for your thoughts keep 'em comming

why not plasma pistols, shorter range but your going to be dropping in anyway right? That's an epic army, just be sure to add in some melta bombs.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.