BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default IG Valkyrie or Chimera?

Ok, tactics question. I'm relatively new to the Imperial guard (I'm a closet Tau player) <ACKEM!> So! for you IG generals out there which would you recommend for a transport, Chimera or Valkyrie?

This is what I've come up with and maybe you can help me out with this...

1. Valkyrie: Pro- better side armor, twinlinked las cannons and missile pods, deep strike, skimmer, fast, heavy bolter sponsons.
    Con- more expensive points wise, $52 a model, pain to lug around without paying another $30 in precut foam.

2. Chimera: Pro- less expensive points wise, $28 a model, easier to carry around, easier to paint and assemble
    Con- Not a fast vehicle, can only fire las shots and heavy bolter shots, has 10 side and back armor, can't move 24" flat out, fly, or land on terrain.

These are what I'm dealing with in regards to tactics and building my army up. Please let me know if you have any comparative tactical and building advice.

Danke.

Chapter-Master

Mostly chimera, but a couple of vendetta are probably never a bad thing.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Chimeras(4-8 in an army) with Vendettas/Valks (2-3) as fire support.

Use the one that lets you turbo boost your bs4 melta troops in the scout phase and then drop them anywhere you please on turn one, while still flying around dropping large blast templates.

fvcking imp guard...

Vendettas. Blow up armor all game before dropping their squads on objectives on turn 5. Tough to argue with at such low points.

Scout

in a 1500 army, 3 chimeras with some heavy support and a vendetta should suit your needs. Once you start getting up to 2000 points, you should consider adding some more vendettas, and more infantry before you expand you chimera count, unless you're going for a fully mechanized army.

Veteran-Sergeant

I don't know if this will influence your decision...

At 'Ard Boyz last year, all of the winning IG armies in local and regional rounds had at least three Valkyries/Vendettas. I've added them to my IG list (which didn't fare well at regionals) and I've had a big improvement in my win/losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Nungunz View Post
    Chimeras(4-8 in an army) with Vendettas/Valks (2-3) as fire support.
    This.
    caellachsector.blogspot.com
    This message made from 100% recycled electrons.

Chimeras are great, but lets be honest, Vendettas are amazing. Everything everybody says about them? All pretty much true. They are just that good.

Battle-Brother

As a player who faces off against IG a lot. I think valykre/vendetta are more of an asset to my opponent. They can move across the board so much better that it really changes my tactics in order to deal with them. They are contstantly contesting at the end of games just because they can go flat out with a cover save, very hard to kill at that point. You don't need a lot of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast