BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default How do you deal with:

With the launch of my [URL="podcast"]www.skared.podbean.com[/URL]. I have decided to talk about various different psychological aspects of the game. From my very uneducated point of view. Last time I asked people what they thought of Burn out and how you would deal with it and that is what I touch on during Episode 2. Well, for episode 3 I wanted to talk about how we all differently deal with that "uber" unit death star, or what ever.

So far I can think of a few things that we do:
    Ignore it.
    Stall it (by feeding it smaller units).
    Give up and loose to it.
    Wait till the time is right and then hit it with all you have!!!

So, what do YOU do against this uber unit.

Cheers!

Also, check out the podcast, short and sweet worth your time and looking for feedback .

It depends on the capabilities of the army I'm playing against vs what my guys are capable of. If I'm playing IG against ?, I either take out his uber-heavies with my heavy units, or he takes out my heavies and I curl up in a ball and die by turn three.

If I'm Tau playing against whomever, I keep on the move, shoot heavy targets with marker lights, drop in XV suits where he's weakest, and if that fails, curl up in a ball and die by turn 3.

Brother-Sergeant

The thing about Deathstars is that they almost always represent a significant investment in points on the part of your opponent, and therefore his or her strategy will be based around the Deathstar. The best way to deal with Deathstars is to kill them with extreme prejudice early on, as this will:
    A: Take out the large and highly dangerous portion of your enemy's army, substantially weakening it in the process
    B: Protect your units from getting their ***** kicked by the Deathstar (assuming you succeed in killing it early enough)

This is the strategy I use to deal with Deathstars. The tactics I borrow from Schlock Mercenary's Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries:
    6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    35. That which does not kill you has made a tactical error.
    36. When the going gets tough, the tough call for close air support [or equivalent].
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'time to reload.'

What this means in practical game terms... shoot the bejeezus out of Deathstars as soon as they get in range. I like to use massed poison weapons or a Plasmacutioner for this.

Do I actually want it to die? - shoot it with hundreds of poison shots
    Do I just not want to deal with it for a while? - light it up with poison for one turn then assault with wyches +hameoc
    Do I want to show them how it's done? - Assault with 10 grotesques + lady malys (squad immune to force weapons)

Armored sentinel with a heavy flamer. Works pretty well.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.