BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Battle-Brother

Default Scarab Farm necrons Vs. Draigo wing grey knights

Here is our store necron army vs. the well know draigo wing army very great game check it out and let us know whatyou think.

[url]http://www.frontlinegaming.org/2011/12/03/40k-video-battle-report-jy2s-draigo-wing-grey-knights-vs-reecius-scarab-farm-necrons/[/url]
    www.frontlinegaming.org
    Painting Service/ Discount hobby supplies/ Podcast/ Video battle reports.

Chaplain

Interesting fight. ...hmmm I wonder how a 10 man paladin squad with 4 incinerators would do. Sure you probably will not assault a lot since your opponent would take units from the front line but it would be interesting....A lot of instant death I believe.... At least against scarabs.

Chapter-Master

4 Incinerators? On a pure footslogging unit? You'd be luck to ever even shoot them. Considering how good psycannons are, don't ever bother with Incinerators on terminators.

As to the battle itself, I question the GK player's deployment. A big part of the reason why Reece was able to pull the draw was because he out-deployed the GK player, and Driago and friends were left out of the fight and the GK army was strung out. That let Reece assault one unit at a time and do more damage rather than face the whole GK army at once. Had he deployed centrally and maneuvered more cohesively as a result, it would have been much harder for Reece to get favorable conditions for a multi-charge.

Plus, there's not much of an excuse to take 10 paladins and not find a way to fit Rad/Psykotroke grenades into the list. The prescense of Rad grenades would have won the game for him, as they cause you to automatically inflict ID on the scarabs with no need for psychic powers.

I do like these series of of reports, as they show some of the weaknesses that people don't typically see in GK netlists. Driagowing is slow and has trouble controlling large areas, and Purifier spam can be overwhelmed due to its fragility relative to its model count when you know what you're doing. In both cases, a more diverse list could have avoided some of those weaknesses and made the fight much harder for the necrons.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Couple questions.

I was curious why the necron player didnt attempt to seize initiative and attempt to blast everything with lightning before it even moved?

Next, with a shunting Dreadnight, I thought he would have at least positioned his incinerator shot to hit some of the conga line of scarabs, since it would have caused massive damage to them.

Lastly, im curious as to why the scarabs just went to ground on the objective rather than attack the Dreadnought. I would think with the amount of attacks you had, you would easily destroy it.

Anyway, good report as always. I love the converted scarabs and spyders.

Chapter-Master

There was no good reason to seize the initiative, as paladins are slow enough that one turn of movement is insignificant, and in objective games the second player has a big advantage in having the last say in who gets to claim/contest objectives.

The Dreadknight started on the opposite side of the board, and had to shunt just to get even remotely close to the scarabs. It might have hit one or two, but was too far away to do anything else. After that, it was locked in combat.

And finally, 2+ cover was worth much more than killing the dreadnought. All Reece needed to do was keep those scarabs alive, and had he assaulted the dreadnought he would have lost a couple to the str 6 attacks even if he killed the dreadnought.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

ah ok, i didnt notice the DK was on the far side, I thought it was in the center.

not criticising, just curious to the moves I like to hear people's reasons for why they do what they do. helps me in future games if I see how someone else would have played it, helps me learn.

cheers.