BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Blood on the Badlands Initial Thoughts

So I did pick up BotB this weekend, if only because I really enjoy the idea of siege warfare, and was really, really pleased. The book, as with any of the recent WHFB books, is gorgeous; it's full of color, thematically written, and contains a good number of scenarios, etc.

I've only read through the Campaign portion in passing, but it looks to be very fun and flavorful. Lots of different armies involved in the skirmish, with the Dwarves really being one of the main features. Two Skaven clans are also involved, which was of great interest to me as well.

The siege rules, quite frankly, look like an absolute blast to play. I'm very excited to try them out, as they simply look fun. Additionally, the underground fighting rules look like they're going to provide for some really interesting close quarter scenarios (the board setups are really varied, which i very much liked).

Again, these are just quick impressions, and a full review with pictures will come, but I have to say I'm very pleased with the book. Seems more than worth the $30.

I'd love to hear other thoughts, or any questions you'd like me to direct my book review toward for tonight. Cheers!+

www.queencityguard.com

Brother-Captain

I may actually consider picking this up... siege rules have been something I've really wanted for a long time...

I'll need to flip through it first...

Q: Is it just a revised 'generals compendium' w/ siege rule?
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master

Not really.... but I can see where you'd make that assertation. It really is a full fledged campaign book that, honestly, reminds me a TON of a miniature Imperial Armour book. It's set up in very much the same way. I didn't specifically count (I will tonight) but I think there were around 16 different scenarios in it. Its all quite neat, IMO, but the again, I'm much more of a fluffy player than a WAAC/Hyper Competitive player. The only problem is this may temporarily pull me away from my Throne of Tamurkhan Review.

TOO MUCH TO READ! Aghhahghahg!

But yeah, I'll get some more detail, with pictures, up tonight. I may do a straight book/fluff/rules hypotheticals overview and do a play review later.

www.queencityguard.com

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Not really.... but I can see where you'd make that assertation. It really is a full fledged campaign book that, honestly, reminds me a TON of a miniature Imperial Armour book. It's set up in very much the same way. I didn't specifically count (I will tonight) but I think there were around 16 different scenarios in it. Its all quite neat, IMO, but the again, I'm much more of a fluffy player than a WAAC/Hyper Competitive player. The only problem is this may temporarily pull me away from my Throne of Tamurkhan Review.

TOO MUCH TO READ! Aghhahghahg!

But yeah, I'll get some more detail, with pictures, up tonight. I may do a straight book/fluff/rules hypotheticals overview and do a play review later.
    I have it and like it. I tell you what it felt like though and I think it a good product line, is like the pre-made adventures for RPG games like D&D, etc. basically taking the idea of the huge Imperial Armor books and scaling them down a bit. A good story, a few news rules, an expanded White Dwarf battle report and *poof* you have a good product and a fair price.

Chapter-Master

Agree quite a bit. It does feel a great deal like a scaled down Imperial Armour. That's a very good thing IMO.

www.queencityguard.com

I have to say I love it too wish they had a bigger print run

I love it, people are always complaining about GW being too faceless well having a staff campaign pubished along with fantastic special rules should help alleviate that.

My one complaint is that more race specific siege items weren't included, not because my group can't think up plenty (we already have) but because there are so many players seem incapable of doing anything for themselves it is a shame some races will miss out with them.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Scout

I like it, but for that matter I would have liked a dedicated siege supplement again. Perhaps with more race specifics.

I'm working through it now. The local GW here (in China) is using it as the basis for the campaign. I'm liking the narrative. Nice to see people actually play rather than just Theory Hammer.

BitB is what I used to read White Dwarf for. Lots of fun conversions, made up rules and general craziness.
    These guys played a fun campaign and shared it in a great format, well worth picking up the book.
    If WD was closer to this in style and tone I'd subscribe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast