BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Risk

Brother-Sergeant

Default Risk

Is it just me or do most 40k/Fantasy gamers also like RISK?

I hate to admit it but the LOTRs version of RISK is my favorite. The additions of missions, objectives, army generals and defesive postions just make it so much more fun.

I totally want them to make a 40k edition of RISK, which would probably be a very basic game of 40k anyway. I actual have been thinking of doing a 40k campaign that was based on a RISk style board. Just a thought.
    "If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night, but if you set a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life."

Fly Lord

Well I always fuonr RISK to be the introductory grand strategy boardgame. Its readily available, simple to learn, and is the first step towards Axis and Allies, and all the other more advanced games.

You also end up with tons of cool little playing pieces to use when designing other campaigns of your own.
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Veteran-Sergeant

This game was banned in our share house as it started several world wars! I loved it though and never took it personally as others did.

Hmmmm, might have to look at the LotR version.

I loved Risk. LOVE! One of the funnest games I've ever played, although its hard to get the same group of players to sit down and play it a second or third time because it often gets pretty cutthroat. Used to have a Risk night at the barracks when I was stationed in Okinawa. Me n a couple Communications guys would all sit around and play, make alliances between each other, break them, goad each other into killing other opponents, etc etc. It was always so fun. I ended up getting banned because of my ruthless diplimatic approach winning me the game every time I played. Haha. I always played on the rivalry three players held against each other.

The LotR Risk edition is also pretty fun. I regret only owning the Two Towers edition... would much rather have the entire map of Middle Earth to play on.
    Heck, I'd like to have a Simirilian edition. That'd be fun.
    Check it: http://hotschnitzel.blogspot.com/

Hehe even without the diplomacy part of the game, Risk really showcases the character of the players. Is he a risk taker or a patient camper. And why is he leaving that connecting country open??

Ah the joys of world domination

Fly Lord

I can't think about RISK without laughing at the Seinfeld with Kramer playing on the subway...

"The Ukraine is weak....NO, THE UKRAINE IS STRONG!!!"
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Librarian

Have you ever tried out Risk 2210? It added some new areas (underwater colonies and the Moon) to fight over, plus some new concepts (Hero units and action cards), it's a pretty good game overall. Gives you a couple more strategies to try out, and it's a lot of fun. Definitely worth checking out.

Brother-Captain

I used to play risk all the time in HS and college - then I found warhammer. I recently has some friends over and we played a game - they aren't warhammer lads (yet) but fun was had, However I have become more comfortable with lengthy rule books so I found the game a little too simplistic, or perhaps the tactics a little too inflexable!

I heard that the new vanilla flavour Risk has eliminated the Australia strategy, can anyone confirm this? The last game I played I used said strategy and ended up with everything but the Americas before we had to call it quits 'cause my younger brother had to go to bed.(BTW, if anyone's interested in where to branch out from Australia, I went Africa, Europe, Asia, then I would have gone S. America before N. America).

The Star Wars version(s) are a blast too!

If you guys like Risk, play Twilight Imperium. That is the most brutal and cut-throat game of all time. you start screwing you opponents over while designing the map!
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast