BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Risk

Risk is one of those games for me that all the players get too exasperated or too aggravated to finish. And not to mention, I have horrendous luck with the dice at risk. "surely my 20 men can overtake this country with 3 defenders.
    snake eyes.
    snake eyes.
    snake eyes.
    Rage.

Also I wish the pieces did more then signify numbers of infantry. Sweet cannon, oh wait, it doesn't do anything.
    But apart with my aggravation at sometimes crippling bad luck its a great game.

I like risk and most of its variants... however its a game that many people dont find appealing (at least in my experience) specially since in many cases when you got pounded you are out and you miss the fun, nevertheless i love it...

Risk LoTR? didnt enjoyed as much as the normal one... it was somehow... i dunno lacking in fun....

Cheers!
    Wolfen

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfen View Post
    I like risk and most of its variants... however its a game that many people dont find appealing (at least in my experience) specially since in many cases when you got pounded you are out and you miss the fun, nevertheless i love it...

Risk LoTR? didnt enjoyed as much as the normal one... it was somehow... i dunno lacking in fun....

Cheers!
    Wolfen

It's fun to use it for an alternative map. Ignore the special rules, and just play normally. Makes it really interesting, and very difficult!
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post
    Have you ever tried out Risk 2210? It added some new areas (underwater colonies and the Moon) to fight over, plus some new concepts (Hero units and action cards), it's a pretty good game overall. Gives you a couple more strategies to try out, and it's a lot of fun. Definitely worth checking out.
    I happen to own that one but never really sat down to learn all the new rules, always seemed to complicated for a board game but thats probably because I tried teaching myself it when I was 13.
    I think I should try it again oh yeah and its the only risk game I've seen with the moon included. Not just world domination but moon domination as well.
    "INTO THE FIRES OF BATTLE, UNTO THE ANVIL OF WAR!"

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Dunadan View Post
    I heard that the new vanilla flavour Risk has eliminated the Australia strategy, can anyone confirm this? The last game I played I used said strategy and ended up with everything but the Americas before we had to call it quits 'cause my younger brother had to go to bed.(BTW, if anyone's interested in where to branch out from Australia, I went Africa, Europe, Asia, then I would have gone S. America before N. America).

The Star Wars version(s) are a blast too!
    Australia Camping, my uncle was doing that in the 60's lol and I did it in the 90's!

I haven't played Risk in years, man had some great games with my mates.

The number of times someone left the 'Alaska' back door open to the Commies......

Risk is kinda fun. I like both the redone 'black' version and 2210. It's always a little silly, though. The dice have a huge impact and strategy has a pretty minor impact. The last game I played, I got a string of bad rolls attacking some-place in Europe. It was about ten guys to one, and I lost six or seven of them before I took the country. Lost me the game. That one, first turn string of bad luck put me irretrievably behind, and there was no way, short of a similar string of bad luck on someone else's part (which never happened) that I could possibly come back and win.

And that's basically silly.

Twilight Imperium is a good game.
    Risk is only really worthwhile if you like something that'll let you roll a bunch of dice without actually making you think.

For any of you lovers of the classic RISK game, this online game approaches it's feel the most:

[URL="http://www.conquerorgame.com/"]http://www.conquerorgame.com/[/URL]

It's played on a Map of Europe 1000 AD, and adds culture and fortifications (both 3 levels) as well as population (unlimited) to the original concept.

If you will enjoy it, don't forget to thank "Attila"

Risk is one of those games my friends won't play with me anymore. Something about me being too cutthroat. The players controlling Asia and Europe made a temporary détente. I had Africa and was on a more losing side of that treaty than Europe was, so I made it my mission to stop at least one of them from claiming their continent bonus each turn.
    I'll definitely be checking out Twilight Imperium sometime. Looks pretty interesting.

Veteran-Sergeant

Awesome game. While a lot more simplistic than Axis and Allies, its faster pace can be more fun, and it'a a lot easier to get others to play.

you guys heard of risk legacy?

[url]http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/22/cardboard-children-risk-legacy/[/url]

writing on the board? tearing up cards?
    INSANITY!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast