BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Though there's talk of having multiple Chaos codices, I don't see a real need for it. There isn't a need for so many SM codices, due to the whole Chapter Tactics system. You could consolidate all the Marine codices into one book, other than Grey Knights. Even Space Wolves could be fit in without losing their uniqueness, as most of the difference in their army comes from a handful of unique units (Wolf Guard, Thunderwolf Cavalry), and most of the other difference could be changed simply by giving them a unique Chapter Tactics.

So they should have a system where you pick your Chapter (or the Founding Chapter your chapter came from), giving your dudes a unique Chapter Tactics and unlocking a couple of unique units and some Force Org swapping. Dark Angels would get armywide Stubborn, and Bikes and Terminators as troops.

Same principle could be applied to the Chaos Legions. Pick your Legion, get a unique set of special rules, and unlock certain units and FOC swaps. Picking World Eaters gives normal dude Furious Charge, moves Berzerkers to Troops, and unlocks Bloodletters and Juggernauts of Khorne. Night Lords, on the other hand, wouldn't get Bloodletters, but would have access to Raptors and Bikes as troops and have Hit and Run/Acute Senses on everything.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    You realize the 10000 years isn't typically anywhere close to 10000 years yeah? Most of the fluff suggests that 2-3 days in the warp could potentially amount to 200-300 years in real time. There's no concrete time, and while they are older than most other marines, the chaos lords certainly aren't 10000 years old.
    I remember reading the opposite is also true, to some extent, so even if not for 10,000 years its still going to be a long time.

My mate also suggested that chaos being chaos, that all units have a 6+ inv. save vs. psychic spells.

Another thing to remember is that not all Lords are survivors of the Horus Heresy. There is probably just as many, if not more, Chaos Lords (or similar title/ranks) that were created post heresy (like Honsou), or were Loyalists turned Traitor (Lord Zhufor). So while I think a Chaos Lord should get a buff, I don't think it should be THAT much greater statline wise then a Marine Captain or Chapter Master. Where I think a Chaos Lord should shine and be separate from their Loyalist counterparts is in special rules and wargear.

A rather different idea I was thinking of was, what if instead of totally abandoning the Icon system, they make it so you can chose to give a some units Icons OR Marks. Marks would cost X amount of points per model, and would essentially turn the unit into their cult equivalent, so a Khorne marked Raptor unit would be like Berserker Raptors, or Tzeentch Marked Terminators would be like Rubric Termies. Meanwhile Icons would pretty much be what they are now, except cheaper, and if the Icon Bearer dies you can roll (maybe a 4+) to see if another Marine picks up the Icon before it falls/breaks/whatever.

That way with the pay-per-model Mark system you end up with a smaller elite style Cult/Legion army. Where as with the cheaper flat rate of the Icon system you are encouraged to take larger units leading to a more horde style Renegade Chapter/Undivided Warband type army. You wouldn't be restricted to one system either, so you could take mixed army of some units with marks, some with icons, and as long as you made sure to model them clearly it would be easy for your opponent to tell them apart ("Okay so those Raptors are Rapterkers because they have bunny ears and chainaxes, but those Nurglenators are only Icon'd because one of them is holding a big flagpole thingy and they aren't totally covered in slime."). Also that way unlike in the 3.5 codex, you can still take a Tzeentch Marine army that IS NOT Thousand Sons.

Default Night lords

I want the Night Lords to have their own section in the code with their own perks. I want them to make night fighting last and get extra bonuses for night fighting. They don't really follow any chaos god. They really aren't fans of demons any either. I think they all should have the infiltrate rule or something that puts emphasis on their stealthy ways. Also to add in with the fluff their models should be allowed to be represented in a mix mash of different space marine/ chaos space marine armor/ gear within reason. The raptors could have wings like the sanguinary guard. Personally I feel that the chaos legions have always been under powered. The majority of the chaos space marines that are still around are from the original founding in comparison to many regular space marine chapters that have had seen multiple foundings and have recruited many new members.
    Ave Dominus Nox!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12