BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Making Deathmarks work

I accidentally placed this over on the general 40k topics forum - I've copied it here in the correct location!

================================================== ==

Basic Deathmark units need to be taken in sets of 2 to be effective. Mark 2 targets and both units will wound on a 2+ vs. each other's targets. Great for board control.

To make Deathmarks useful at long range add a Cryptek - Harbinger of Transmogrification with a Harp of Dissonance (infinite range). Remove the armour from a Grey Knight Baby carrier anywhere on the table. Fixes the 24" range issue! Park them in-cover on your side of the board and plink away at uber-units across the board. With 2 Deathmark units and 2 Harps you can cover most of the board and abuse each others "Marked for Death" targets.

For Deathmark Deep Strike abuse - a Harbinger of Despair (finally - a use for the oddball staff!). Strength 8, AP1 Template - but with the "Marked for Death" rule they wound on a 2+ instead of the goofy leadership roll (usually a 3+ or 4+). Deep strike in and wipe-out almost any unit in the game in one shot. Ignores FNP and 2+ saves. Not bad for a 125 point squad (including Cryptek).
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

I've found the deep-strike suggestion popping up on multiple sites today. Looks like it's making the rounds quickly...
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 12-11-2011 at 06:54 PM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Does the Marked for Death rule ("Hunters from Hyperspace") apply to attatched Charachters though or just the Deathmarks?

It does say 'when unit of Deathmarks....' not a unit containing Deathmarks.
    Last edited by Sonikgav; 12-11-2011 at 08:57 PM.

From the Royal Court entry:
    Before the battle, each member of the Royal Court has the option of being split off from his unit and assigned to lead a different unit from the following list: Necron Warriors, Necron Immortals, Lychguard or Deathmarks."

Once assigned, they permanently become part of the unit (unlike a basic or Character HQ that can detach from a unit) - Go forth and drop the Shroud of Despair on Terminators, Longfangs, Paladin squads....
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 12-11-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstorm View Post
    From the Royal Court entry:
    Before the battle, each member of the Royal Court has the option of being split off from his unit and assigned to lead a different unit from the following list: Necron Warriors, Necron Immortals, Lychguard or Deathmarks."

Once assigned, they permanently become part of the unit (unlike a basic or Character HQ that can detach from a unit) - Go forth and drop the Shroud of Despair on Terminators, Longfangs, Paladin squads....
    Boy, I hope this gets errata, because what you've mentioned doesn't really clear up the issue at all. It would be just as correct to say the unit with the Cryptek loses "Hunters from Hyperspace" because it no longer is a "unit of Deathmarks." It's now a unit with Deathmarks.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Nothing to discuss here from my point of view. Rule says all Deathmarks wound on 2+. A Cryptek even so he joined the unit permanently, will never become a Deathmark.

The Deathmark rule says "unit", the Cryptek is permanently part of the unit.

In the recent brb FAQ it gives an example of a model joining a unit with Stealth, the new model is given Stealth even if it did not have it before joining.
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 12-13-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Theres a difference though between special rules that effect the unit, and special rules that effect models in the unit.

If you want to argue that then why dont all IC's that join a unit with Furious Charge or Counter Charge get the same benefit etc?

Crypteks joining a unit are not IC's. They never have been. They never will be. They are NOT independent characters. They can't leave the unit. They do not have the independent character rule.
    The rule of "independent character" is not in the cryptek entry.
    Crypteks are just like Wolf Guard. Read the FAQ's on them. That should clear this mess up.
    Again, before you type any reply, CRYPTEKS ARE NOT INDEPENDENT CHARACTERS. So take anything you would type about Crypteks doing this and that because they are independent characters, remember that they are not and revise what you are about to type.
    To quote the FAQ on the Space Wolves, since there is no Necron FAQ yet:...

"Q. Can a Wolf Scout Pack with a Wolf Guard Pack Leader
    assigned to it deploy as Infiltrators, make a move before
    the game begins because of its Scouts special rule,
    choose to outflank or use Behind Enemy Lines? (p86)
    A. Yes, to all of the above, because the Wolf Guard Pack
    Leader is not an Independent Character and therefore the
    fact he does not have the Infiltrate or Scouts special rule
    does not preclude the squad he has joined from using
    those abilities."
    Last edited by Brymm; 12-12-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Ignore my use of IC. I meant Charachter in general. Its a force of habit that most Charachters were IC's. No need for a whole chapter nitpicking my use of terms.

And yes i agree, the addition of a charachter like a Wolf Guard doesnt stop the unit using the ability because he is a permanent part of the unit he gets taken along. Likewise a cryptek being added to the unit doesnt stop the Deathmarks using the rule, but he doesnt have it himself.

Kind of a poor example though with the scouts as its a rule to allow deployment and as such a special case to allow a charachter to deploy with his unit in the same way that the Cryptek would be allowed to use the Deathmarks deepstrike rule. Once theyre on the field though, a better example would be if a WolfGuard joining a unit of Bloodclaws gain the Bezerk Charge rule etc?

I beleive in that example it even goes so far as to say it doesnt apply, proving that not all special rules transfer to the entire unit (as i mentioned earlier, Furious charge/Counter Charge) etc

How about the Traveller in the necron army. He may give a unit of Immortals the two rules above. Would this also be passed onto the Crypteks since they arent actually Immortals? It specifically says the Immortals are upgraded but doesnt mention attatched charachters?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast