BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by GrandmasterRay View Post
    Woot. Thanks guys. Now GW knows what captain hammer felt like after the death ray explodes. "I think this is what pain feels like!" Then I'm going to go play vassal just to be in the evil league of evil.
    lol vassal iusbt htat bad: its non profit, yeah the minis are free BUT they arnt real minis :P

@grailkeeper:

how hasnt it treated customers well? im now fond of the if theres a defect in your finecast we will give you another, so lets buy a calgar and look for every little error, :P
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    lol vassal iusbt htat bad: its non profit, yeah the minis are free BUT they arnt real minis :P

@grailkeeper:

how hasnt it treated customers well? im now fond of the if theres a defect in your finecast we will give you another, so lets buy a calgar and look for every little error, :P
    Well, mabye you have been lucky.
    But im sick of not getting what I buy, then having to wait for a replacement... because all the junk on the wall has defects.

4 Stormlords later i just gave up... every single one had a defect of some kind...
    Necron Overlord... 3 of them and gave up. 1st had a broken stave, next had a big void where the chest wires are... 3rd had bubles in the cloak.. i take that as i can fix it.
    Every single Failcrap mini ive bought has had a flaw, and had to be replaced. and somtimes there is no stock to replace it with... again... not getting what I want.

GW has horrible QC with finecast. Ive yet to be happy with a puchase from the get go. This is completely not acceptable with the money we are paying and the size/resources of the parent.
    I get better casts from ANYONE else ive ordered resin from...

If these guys make better FW than FW..... hmmmmmm I think things like this shed some light on how little QC goes into to some of the GW.

Any decent resin producer would have thrown away the theunderhawk molds by now and made new ones. It took my buddy 6 months before he was readto to paint it... so much **** to fix, warps... ect..
    Yet they continue to use flawed molds....

My "new" Emp. Champion still has the same casting flaws as the metal one.... again... cheepasses..

The brand new Forgeworld Thunderhawk I built this summer was a complete nightmare. I would not recommend the kit to anyone. Mis-cast, warped beyond belief and it had HUGE sprue blobs that required a bandsaw and belt sander to remove!

Forgeworld should be ashamed.

DO NOT encourage them to make any more by purchasing them until they make new molds and improve their quality.
    Last edited by Maelstorm; 12-18-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    My question is why are people outraged? GW hasn't treated its customers particularly well, should we be outraged on behalf of a multinational?
    If they get away with pirating GW products how long before they branch out to smaller companies or other products. Would you feel the same if they started undercutting placed like Secret Weapon, Scibor, etc? How about if they started selling copies of rulebooks from Privateer Press, Pathfinder or D&D? If the Chinese pirate companies wanted to they could make exact copies of those books and sell them cheaper because they had little or no development and marketing cost.

You may not believe it but our hobbies are a very small market and most game companies have fairly small profit margins. We also have very little influence in the government. If we allow pirates to make even a small foothold, by purchasing from them and proving the market is there, then expect some companies to be driven out of business. You may not like GW but how would you feel if their competition also went under. Or worse, GW was the only survivor.

First-Captain

Shesh I barely know anyone who buys a thunderhawk based on price, and anyone who does has the patience to fix the kit, Id be surprised if it would cost soo much to replace thats why they aint bovered.
    For the Greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post

All I can say is, "<*GASP*> Counterfeiting in a communist nation whose stated purpose is to destroy the West. Whoda thunk?!!"
    Regardless of what the rest of this thread was about, I highly doubt China would want to destroy the western world when that is the precise source making China the fastest growing economy in the world. No Chinese official is working on a secret plan to drive GW out of business to stick it to the west. Why would they, they make all of the plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    How about if they started selling copies of rulebooks from Privateer Press, Pathfinder or D&D?
    I would be less inclined to buy from the pirate because these companies keep their prices reasonable. I can buy a rulebook to play an ENTIRE GAME (Pathfinder) for the price of a single terminator box... And if I still couldn't afford that, they provide alternatives (downloadable pdfs) so that I can still enjoy their game on a shoestring budget. You can still find the books pirated of course, but if no one feels the need to look for them...

GW is pricing themselves out of their own market. When people want something, and want to pay for something but just can't, someone will be there to provide them product for the prices people are willing to pay. To some people, some money is better than no money. That's just the way it is. Is anyone surprised that this appeals to people? Why is there a market for the pirates in the first place?

Counterfeiting is wrong, and because of this I did not buy from them, but it's a symptom.

And touching on the legality of the situation, let's try to keep things in perspective. If you claim that you do not speed on a regular basis then you are the extreme minority. Speeding is illegal because it kills people. Counterfeiting does not kill people (directly anyway, they could be an organization that does other bad things but they could also be feeding a starving chinese village). So lets try to keep that in mind while we are calling people idiots for buying counterfeit toys. It's likely that we are all just as idiotic, but for different reason.
    Last edited by GrandmasterRay; 12-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Counterfeiting would still occur even if GW prices were cheaper, because a small Chinese outfit can always undercut their prices. So long as people continue to convince themselves that buying from a counterfeiters is anything but morally bankrupt, these people will continue to hurt other peoples businesses.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

But why is it any worse than the speeding that everyone has done, and still does? Granted, this is a post about counterfeiting, not speeding, but lets not pretend that speeding isn't worse than buying counterfeit goods just because the legal penalties are less.

Buying counterfeit goods (no deaths, and hardly anyone does it) = morally bankrupt

Speeding (deaths, and everyone does it) = ...not as morally bankrupt?...

My point is that the vast majority of us are guilty of much more heinous crimes than buying counterfeit stuff. Buying counterfeit goods is wrong, but before we judge other people for doing it, make sure your moral compass is calibrated correctly.

Speeding* is morally bankrupt, you risk killing someone. I don't speed (or I should say our designated drivers don't speed, I don't drive). That most people speed sometimes doesn't make it better, just like the fact most people illegally download music/films doesn't make it right. Is speeding worse? Yes, counterfeit models won't kill anyone. But it is still morally bankrupt.

*Obviously there are exceptions, speeding up to avoid causing an accident or whatever, but for general purposes I mean to just going faster out of impatience/thrill seeking/whatever.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast