BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Yep, I would have to agree with Wildeybeast on that one. A Space Marine Codex is almost always released with a new edition.

A huge portion of 40k sales comes from Space Marines and they will always be GW's poster boys, and any changes in the core rules will be capitalised on in the new Dex.

That would mean that if Eldar were coming it would have to be in Q1 or Q2 next year, which just seems too unlikely to me.

Of course I will look silly if they do appear early next year, but I have seen no solid indication that they are even out of the concept stage just yet.

Veteran-Sergeant

Makes one wonder what two armies will be in the starter box. Eldar and Space Marines would be fantastic btw

I do agree, I could see Eldar being second but it would indicate a really seismic shift in thinking at GW HQ to see Marines come after Eldar in a new edition. Having said that as Dark Eldar are doing so fantastically well by all accounts it is possible they may decide giving Eldar a lot of attention will make them enough money in the short and long terms to justify it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    It will be a cold day in hell before you can persuade me that Eldar will be released before a new SM codex. They are alwasy first because they are a) the 40k archetype and b) they make so much damn money. Eldar as the first alien dex sounds fine to me, but not before SM
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

If GW did some sort of 8th FAQ to update all the old stuff to be compatible with the new edition, then Eldar coming out before the new SM codex makes a bit more sense. GW knows that goodie marines will make them money no matter when the release it, so by putting a strong seller before them probably won't hurt.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by flekkzo View Post
    Makes one wonder what two armies will be in the starter box. Eldar and Space Marines would be fantastic btw
    I'm not sure you can take the starter box set as a guide to which codexes will be released first. Look at Island of Blood - Skaven and High Elves, both of which are yet to recieve a new army book. I think GW are looking at the starter boxes as an opportunity to make some cool new models for two of the races, and also perhaps to give a sales boost to armies that they have no plans of updating any time soon. And look at Black Reach - its not like the orks have had much love this edition.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I'm not sure you can take the starter box set as a guide to which codexes will be released first. Look at Island of Blood - Skaven and High Elves, both of which are yet to recieve a new army book. I think GW are looking at the starter boxes as an opportunity to make some cool new models for two of the races, and also perhaps to give a sales boost to armies that they have no plans of updating any time soon. And look at Black Reach - its not like the orks have had much love this edition.
    Orks have gotten some decent model releases and Orks were mostly done with 5th edition in mind as they came right before Daemons in the codex release schedule. Sisters were the ones who were shafted in the 5th edition release schedule. We are still using the same minis that we got in 2nd edition for the most part. Only the vehicles and couple of extra models were added in the 3rd edition release.
    Last edited by andrewm9; 12-21-2011 at 07:46 AM. Reason: spelling

If G.W. do a white dwarf codex for black templars, I will personally lead a crusade to Nottingham to purge the Traitors.
    That is all.
    PhillCo. Heavy Industries "Crushing the World one step at a time"

I can see why you would feel that, but honestly I've never felt anything about Dark Angels nor Black Templar warrant an entire new codex clogging up the schedule. It is bad enough 25% of the current 5th ed codices are Marines when some books go a decade withou seeing an update without adding more. Give Black Templars and Dark Angels a WD codex, then maybe we could see WD codices for all the First Founding Chapters without turning 40k into Marines vs Marines and Rarely Something Else Maybe If They Get a Really Good Codex*.

Of course this would only be a good thing if GW can start producing decent WD codices, which I think would be easier with Marines as most of the work is already done in C:SM. By the same token I would much rather see WD Exodite, Corsair and Harlequin army lists than see the release schedule clogged up with books for them or have them stuffed into an already crowded Craftworld codex.

*MvsMRSEMTGRGC for short, still working on the name. Pronounced Mee-vizz-mister-sem-tigger-gee-see.
    Last edited by eldargal; 12-22-2011 at 05:44 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

WD codex is not good, barely any fluff and GW would put minimal effort since it makes minimal effort.
    For the Greater good.

True enough, I'm assuming GW gets their act together with the rumours of more fun WD lists in the future. I think the key would be GW thinking of them as proper army lists and not stopgap measures or an effort to clear out old metal stock (SoB).

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast