BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Lightbulb Introducing the family...

Tis the season to share, and what better to share than our wondrous hobby?

Now, I'm not talking about trying to get Granny screaming "For the Emperor!" while diving in to the christmas turkey (though if anyone can get a video of that on youtube they shall have my eternal respect), but introducing those family members who do show an interest to the grim dark that is 40k. How would you lovely people of BoLS go about it?

Now, I have a young cousin who is a few months older than I was when I started playing who has down a genuine interest in the game, as well as an appreciation of the fluff (i.e. he didn't just go "space muhreens is teh awesomez!"), and so I've promised him a little game at some point in the next 3 days. I'm thinking of playing a small 600 point game with him having written a Space Marine army list, an Imperial Guard list and an Ork list and letting him pick which army he would like to play with and against. I've gone with those there armies because they are the ones I own.

So how would you guys go about it? Any recommendations for lists I could use for those armies, preferably without too many special rules but still retaining the character of that particular race?

Have a very merry christmas everyone,

Shades
    Last edited by SotonShades; 12-24-2011 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Starting a thread on a mobile phone is a bad idea...
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chapter-Master

my wee cousin saw me painting and wanted a go.

now even though he likes space marines he is more into painting than gaming:
    SUCESSS!

as for lists as its beginners we will forget FOC :P and focus on cool toys:

sm:
    captain+ drop pod+ termis+ tacs (swap pod for a rhino if felling lucky :P)

IG:
    2 squads + sentinel + valk

pork?!
    is this some newfangaled army for 6th ed!!!!!!!!!

ork:
    lotsa boys: truck: bikes: waghboss nobz
    Last edited by fuzzbuket; 12-24-2011 at 08:01 AM. Reason: lists
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    pork?!
    is this some newfangaled army for 6th ed!!!!!!!!!
    Writing a thread while on a mobile phone and standing in the Kitchen while you mother prepares lunch and dinner for christmas and boxing day is a very bad idea it would seem :P Who, knows? Maybe GW will get wind of this idea and we now have the first Codex for 6th!
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

Chaplain

What I did with my kids is let them look at my display case holding all my armies. Those each picked one, My eldest daughter choose Imperial Gaurd, and my son choose orks. I asked if they wanted, big guns, tanks, lots of troops, things that moved fast (they both picked fast). I put together a couple of lists for them, pulled out the models and talked'em through a few games. They liked playing and every know and then I play a few games with them.
    First off it's hard to just show'em lists cuz they don't know what it all means, or what works well. So at first I just put together armies for them. After the game I conduct an AAR (After Action Report) and find out what they liked and didn't like in the army and tailor the next list from that info.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Brother-Sergeant

"Granny screaming "For the Emperor!" while diving in to the christmas turkey "

Haha that would be epic

Just make sure to not crush him

Most of my family are either already games and understand it or are still of the opinion that it's all devil worship. I am happy with both of these states of being.

Chaplain

Try to fit in one of each on the main marine units, a tac squad, a rhino to show armour rules, a dreadnought cause we all love dreadnoughts and a low point captain. Don't be to hard on the rules just go for the basics. If he likes it scale it up a notch and bring in some of the more interesting toys such as scouts (not very interesting I know) just to give him an idea of infiltrating etc.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Adeptus Custodes

I have the same problem, but in fantasy

[url]http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?p=170081#post170081[/url]
    More Necromunda please.

Chaplain

easiest solution for either fantasy or 40, (I know I posted already) is the starter set just have it lying around I pretty much used them like a board game if someone wants to know how it's played I pop it out other than that it collects dust. Easy to use, has a variety of models that look good, particularly the fantasy ones and is a complete game in a box, this may seem like a huge love cry GW but hell it works.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast