BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rumour clampdown due to Hobbit

From Warseer:
    Quote Originally Posted by N.I.B.
    t the Las Vegas Throne of Skulls, staff and regional reps stated the lockdown is due to one thing.

The Hobbit

That was what was stated in a Q&A they had at the end of the tournament. When GW re-upped their license to cover the new movie, they were forced to accept a one week info window. The design studio has had full access to scenes and images from the new movie. MGM does not want any info released early on the movie and required GW to demonstrate they can keep a fairly tight lid on info and images coming out of the studio. No one at GW likes it, but given how much money LotR made for them, they decided it was worth it. Any money loss due to reduced subscriptions or sales would be more than made up for with the Hobbit license.

Expect this format to stay around for at least two more years. Once the second Hobbit movie comes out, hopefully this silliness will end.
    So there we go.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Le'Sigh.... But then it gives us all sooo much more to talk about between releases.

Librarian

So what does that make all the rumours in the rumour section? Do they still hold any weight, or have they become wishlisting?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalleron View Post
    So what does that make all the rumours in the rumour section? Do they still hold any weight, or have they become wishlisting?
    It seems that even when the rumors, taken as an aggregate, over the last 6-9 months have not been 'spot-on', they did at the very least give a very convincing picture of the general flow of an army or the release date rumors were close enough to plan ahead for saving up, etc.

I find that when I look at several 40k sites and associated gab-fest about upcoming products, I get a good overview of what is coming and/or what is being planned. So I believe that overall, the Almighty Web that is our Sky-net early warning system et.al., e rumors may not be as bountiful, but they are still a good source to continue to fill our '' yeah, I still play with little plastic dolls, so shut the F%#^ up' wants/needs list.

Sorry I should have been more specific, the reduced advance order time, no next month previews and clampdown on rumours are all part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalleron View Post
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Adeptus Custodes

Does this apply to everything, or just to Hobbit related stuff?
    More Necromunda please.

Everything, by the sound of it they implemented the new policy to show New Line or whoever it was that they can keep the information secret. Interesting, though, that leaks of high quality GW kits have made it out in time to hype up future releases but nothing relating to the Hobbit has.

I heard this too. Apparently, the rumor window will be reopened once the Hobbit part two is released.

And frankly, I don't know how LotR makes GW any money. Maybe as a tax write-off?

It made them a fortune while the films were still being released, and without any data of sales by game system from GW we really have no idea how it is doing now.

Chaplain

Well I have to say this is no big surprise, it was exactly the same when LOTR was in development.

Security has definitely upped significantly at GW HQ recently.

LOTR more than doubled GW's annual turnover whilst the movies were at the cinema. And when I say more than doubled, I mean way more than doubled, so expect the Hobbit to provide a welcome boost in sales.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast