BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix01 View Post
    I heard this too. Apparently, the rumor window will be reopened once the Hobbit part two is released.

And frankly, I don't know how LotR makes GW any money. Maybe as a tax write-off?
    From what I've heard, they still sell fairly well as collectables separate from the game. Probly why we still see larger plastic kits like the Nazgûl come out here and thier.
    Last edited by Lockark; 12-26-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Veteran-Sergeant

LOTR was my first war game actually and I enjoyed it allot. I have since moved on to warhammer, 40K, and many others but I still pick a kit from time to time and I still play games every once and awhile.

Chapter-Master

That makes sense. And I have to say, GW has done a fairly good job of clamping down on the unofficial rumours. The really reliable stuff is only coming about a month in advance and some stuff it top secret right up until the last minute. Anyone remember how much rumour mill hype there was about SoM? That's beacuse there was absolutely nothing and most people were banging about 'summer of flyers'. Whether that was fanboy wishing or deliberate mis-info from GW, they kept their big summer release under absolute lockdown until very late in the day. Which is why I'm sceptical about 40 next ed this summer, particularly in light of this news.

Quote Originally Posted by snikrot View Post
    LOTR was my first war game actually and I enjoyed it allot. I have since moved on to warhammer, 40K, and many others but I still pick a kit from time to time and I still play games every once and awhile.
    Hence why GW were so keen to get the license to the Hobbit
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Librarian

Well, it makes sense...

Here in Spain many people buy LoTR miniatures as they did with the old Mithril ones...

Only for painting and collect, not for playing.

So maybe it is not as top seller as 40K or FB, but it still makes money
    Lord Macragge and wielder of the Ultramar´s Gauntlets

Quote Originally Posted by StraightSilver View Post
    Well I have to say this is no big surprise, it was exactly the same when LOTR was in development.

Security has definitely upped significantly at GW HQ recently.

LOTR more than doubled GW's annual turnover whilst the movies were at the cinema. And when I say more than doubled, I mean way more than doubled, so expect the Hobbit to provide a welcome boost in sales.
    I'd be willing to bet very few actually played the game, more than likely people did like me and a few others at the shop, used them for WFB
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix01 View Post
    I heard this too. Apparently, the rumor window will be reopened once the Hobbit part two is released.

And frankly, I don't know how LotR makes GW any money. Maybe as a tax write-off?
    Put it this way. If there was no LotR game, there might not be no 40K or Fantasy. For a time LotR was the bread and butter for GW. It was said that it was the LotR money that kept 40K and Fantasy going. It even sold more money than SM for a time. So without LotR back in the early 2000s, there might not be 40K or Fantasy today, or it would be very different now.

As a side note, I do not know how this proves GW can keep a secret. Just look at how the Necrons were leaked out with pics and all before even the release. I can't see how MGM is assured that GW can keep it low. We have seen with Necrons we get to see the stuff early.

I think MGM will be PISSED if there was a week early release of pics and what not.

No I do not think you can blame LotR The Hobbit as to why. If it is true, MGM should be getting on GW case because it can't keep anything a secret. Espically with all the rumours coming out for 6th edition and BT, Tau and Eldar. I guess all these rumours are bunk then as was said before, if The Hobbit is the reason why to GW secrecy then.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

It is certainly true that for a while LOTR was GWs bread and butter, but I don't think it did them any favours in the long run. The influx of money masked a bloated and inefficient business structure that has had to be radically re-worked in the five years since the LOTR bubbled burst.

I think if they hadn't had the LOTR license they may not be in a very different position today, in the long run they didn't seem to gain much from all the money.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

So, how is it with LOTR and GW?
    Has LOTR truly been that big hit for GW? I have always understood that it was in no way profitable miniature range.. This is however based on fully personal experience, and understanding from our local hobby centre where (again to my understanding) has almost nil LOTR stuff on the shelves due to poor sales..

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcard View Post
    So, how is it with LOTR and GW?
    Has LOTR truly been that big hit for GW? I have always understood that it was in no way profitable miniature range.. This is however based on fully personal experience, and understanding from our local hobby centre where (again to my understanding) has almost nil LOTR stuff on the shelves due to poor sales..
    Depends what you mean by a 'big hit'. They sold a bucket load of stuff when the movies were in the cinemas and coming out on DVD and they used it as a gateway drug for 40k and fantasy, so it proved quite popular then. But when the fuss over the movies died down, the volume of players taking it up waned. The problem they have is generating interest in it. 40k and fantasy are fine beacuse they can keep adding new stuff, but with LoTR they are working with someone else's IP and well defined universe. They can't just add in a new race or new troops and monsters. They tried re-doing the rules after the movies and releasing the War of the Ring to stimulate some interest, but I'm not sure how succesful it was. I think they gave up on doing anything new as soon as the Hobbit movie was definitely confirmed so they could focus on new games for that. My personal feeling is that for all the LoTR fanboys in GW, they only do it because it makes them a load of money and brings people into their core game systems, if they thought they could make a really good, profitable and sustainable game out of LoTR they would have tried to accquire the rights to the books long before the movies came out.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12