BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by doom-kitten View Post
    The way I see it the ramps are no different from a Rhinos rear ramp, you don't measure the 2" from the end of the ramp but from the access point it'self, as to it being model shut, well it looks better open and looks like what it's meant to be and prevents confusation as to how it shoots it's weapon through a door. Using it to block LOS with the doors closed seems like a sad use of the rules and the model it'self, it's counted as open topped so should appear so, atleast I feel that way.
    +1 for this answer.There are no special rules at all on the doors, so it is safe to assume they function exactly like the door on other vehicles, which act as dis/embarkation points. Otherwise they are decoration and do not count for the hull of the vehicle (in the same way as anntenna and suchlike), they do not impede movement and do not increase the footprint of the vehicle. Use the main body of the vehicle for measuring distances, template hits and so on. As for the doors being open, it really is up to the controlling player. It is no different to sticking any other vehicle down to block LoS, so I don't see why people should moan about drop pod doors but not that. There are plenty of valid fluff reasons why some/all of the doors stay shut (the marines deliberately don't blow them, malfunction, they shut them afterwards to protect their valuable transport/provide themselves with some cover etc), so people can use them how they want.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chaplain

I've actually sat in on an arguement about pods blocking LOS and it was pretty interesting to see how determined the marine player was that it could happen, in the end the guy playing him packed up and left and refused to play marines again. Basically the guy took his pods as DT's but deployed the marines outside much like I do with my sisters and rhinos, he then used the Drop pod assualt rule to land two of these pods blocking a Havoc squad and one of his marine units. He did this again with the next couple of pods and eventually the Chaos player got curious and started asking questions about it and thus the arguement.

In the end the store owner came up with a hose rule, I don't remember the whole thing but it caused the marine player to stop using pods as he claimed the rule took away the point of the pods in the first place. I personally feel the pods should provide cover to any squad behind it as normal but it shouldn't block LOS, additionally like I said is a rhino's rear door doesn't increase it's footprint than a pod's door shouldn't either that's only fair and if an opponent argue's otherwise then their being a jerk. I'm pretty sure theres a FAQ that can better answer these questions.
    Battle Sisters Record 2012 2/0/0
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Scout

hanks for the feedback guys, and I can say that I will always lean towards the fluff i.e: all doors open but the doors do not obstruct enemy troops, nor do they contest objectives.

Agreed????

While I agree. I'd still like to see some page references. Where do you find any of these rules? (Regarding the drop pod and what the doors counts as, the measure from the hull is obvious)

I looked through my codexes yesterday, and the faqs it is not spefically mentioned anywhere, but at my FLGS we just played that way and most just assume that is how it works.
    The way the local Blackshirt/Redshirt explained that for the wings do not count as the hulls that drop pod with wings down would be like 6-8" in diameter and contest 8-12", and block 7-9" movement. For somthing like a drop pod which is immobile, and can't really move why would it block so much space?
    Ramps once again are debatable and their is no page number to my knowledge. But I think that what others have said, is most correct that they should open up and if they don't or cannot you can see through it, it just provides a cover save.

pardon spelling/grammer

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by doom-kitten View Post
    I've actually sat in on an arguement about pods blocking LOS and it was pretty interesting to see how determined the marine player was that it could happen, in the end the guy playing him packed up and left and refused to play marines again. Basically the guy took his pods as DT's but deployed the marines outside much like I do with my sisters and rhinos, he then used the Drop pod assualt rule to land two of these pods blocking a Havoc squad and one of his marine units. He did this again with the next couple of pods and eventually the Chaos player got curious and started asking questions about it and thus the arguement.

In the end the store owner came up with a hose rule, I don't remember the whole thing but it caused the marine player to stop using pods as he claimed the rule took away the point of the pods in the first place. I personally feel the pods should provide cover to any squad behind it as normal but it shouldn't block LOS, additionally like I said is a rhino's rear door doesn't increase it's footprint than a pod's door shouldn't either that's only fair and if an opponent argue's otherwise then their being a jerk. I'm pretty sure theres a FAQ that can better answer these questions.
    There is nothign about it in the marine FAQ. The issue with cover/doors is TLoS. If you leave the doors open, people can see/fire through it (with a cover save) in the same way as firing under a vehicle with a flying stand. If you close them, it becomes a solid vehicle in the same way as parking a land raider in front of someone. I agree the tactic you discuss above is pretty beardy, but no more so than using another vehicle as cover. And it is valid according to the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellend View Post
    While I agree. I'd still like to see some page references. Where do you find any of these rules? (Regarding the drop pod and what the doors counts as, the measure from the hull is obvious)
    There aren't any, hence why people have different interpretations of how they work. There are no special rules at all about the drop pod doors (at least in the vanilla codex, there might be in some of the other chapter codexes). As such, the safest way seems to be to use them in the same way as doors on other marine vehicles - they do nothing. Ultimately, I think each gaming group as to figure out their own hosue rules on whether or not you have to open the doors, as there are no offical rules either way.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chaplain

@ Wildeybeast, oh I know where your coming from I use my rhinos for the purpose of breaking LOS all the time, drop pods are different in the sense that is just happens, theres no need to move it to a good location as it will land pretty much where you want it. I've never had a problem with them myself and when playing I blow them up anyways, also I'm not looking to argue the rules it just seems weedy to use a Drop pod like this. I agree each gaming group should just make a call on it and stick to it, however in a tournament scene GW treats the pods as open and the doors mean nothing, just something to consider if your planning to play a GW sponsored tourney.
    Last edited by doom-kitten; 12-28-2011 at 08:35 PM.
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Brother-Sergeant

I myself am a Drop Pod player. I currently have TWO of the Forge World Dreadnought Drop Pods (YAY ARMY DEPLOYMENT MONEY) so I tend to use them as much as posible. When I first got them I left the doors fuctional, being able to open them and actually place a Dread inside it was pretty cool. However after repeated use the little tiny flap of resin holding the dorr hinge on started to get worn out. To minimize extended breakage I glued the doors shut. Now the FW Pod is rather open so shooting through it was VERY possible and now with the Doors glued shut it becomes a Large LOS blocker as per the TRUE LOS RULES. I will agree that it is a bit "Beardy" to use them like this but I generally allow people to shoot through them, providing a cover save due to the abstractness required for such an action. However the Old Forge world troop pod is a solid mass that you cannot shoot through, all beit a bit smaller than the current plastic kit (the FW one is designed to carry 5 models). I think a bit of gamesman ship is required when doing things like this. Can you shoot through a DP? Well can you SEE through it? and better yet are you SUPPOSED TO BE ABLE TO SEE THROUGH IT? (Putting a skirt on your Storm Raven does not block line of sight underneath it) And if anyone tries to say "well if the doors are glued shut then the models cant get out, or the storm bolter/deathwind launcher cant shoot" I reply with "well then your guys cant get out of their Rhino or shoot out of the top hatch because the doors are glued shut"

After re reading this I realized I have just ranted.....sorry for taking up your time but I feel better now!

Chaplain

Ahhh My rhino hatches are so worn they flop open everytime I move them or the table shakes alittle, it's so annoying but I painted the innards and can't bare to close the view on my workmanship. I had a guy freak out when he went to the bathroom and came back to see an immolator with it's hatch down, he started going on about how the squad already disembarked and I can't possibly have another squad in there. It was funny for about five minutes, such a baby (have so much more to say about that dude but another time).
    Empire Record 2012 1/0/3

Brother-Sergeant

What would be really fun is if you could shoot THROUGH a rhinos side hatches!
    "My drop pods doors are glued shut, but I will allow you to shoot trhough them IF I can shoot trough your Rhinos/Land raiders side hatches" lol I like to pretend my Drop pod doors can open and shut like a garage door lol (no not really)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast