BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ciaphas Cain novels - the comedy of 40K?

So, I have been reading a lot of Cain lately, and it seems like he is the comedic relief character in the 40K universe.
    But I am also intrigued/curious/? about the author's use of real world names and other cultural phrases: (I'm citing without the books in front of me, so bear with me): On Perlia, she names one of the plateaus Rite pat, as in Right Patterson Air field (the base is an air base in the book), and in the book where Cain crash lands on the ork invaded planet, one of his gunners shoots an ork war wagon, and Cain says to the guy "Good shot, but don't get cocky kid!" (a la Han Solo)".
    Has anyone else noticed this trend?

These books are FILLED with references like that (never noticed the Rite Pat one, good catch)

Wait until things like "Chap with the wings, 5 rounds rapid" start popping up. If you don't mind spoilers check out the tvtropes page for Cain-I mean COMMISSAR CAIPHAS CAIN HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!!!!

Which still, for the "comedy" it can be dark at times...
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

oh i missed the one with the guy with the wings. What was that about?

Correction to my original post: i beleive the plaent with the trope city names is Periremunda. Another of the plateaus is named Konnandoil (ie Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)
    also, here's the link to the tropes page: [url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/CiaphasCain[/url]
    my fave is Miyamoto de Bergerac as Cain's fencing instructor LOL

"I didnt Know that Was possible" Guard when viewing a Slaneesh murial
    "It isnt, And if it was it would be against regulations" Cain.
    But its the foot Notes and Jurgen i find the best.
    But i cant wait for the next where he has a young commisar with him.

on a brief side note away from my original intent of this thread: i like how anything to do with chaos does not automatically turn people it psychotic loonies like it used to in 2nd/3rd edition fluff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaximum View Post
    on a brief side note away from my original intent of this thread: i like how anything to do with chaos does not automatically turn people it psychotic loonies like it used to in 2nd/3rd edition fluff.
    IT would be impossible to fight them then.

i agree, but in old fluff regualr guardsmen looking upon chaos demons would lose their minds... there was even a trilogy: Draco, Harelquin, Chaos Child, where an Imperial Fist Captain freaks out trying to fight against chaos, and the inquisitor with him goes to talk about how all space marines who came into contact with chaos were always mind wiped of the experience because it was too traumatic even for them. I thought that was a little overboard, because, as you said, then they would never know how to fight against chaos.

Oh how much I love those books. The comedy is a nice pill to be able to swallow the grimdark with

I bought first CC omnibus and only one I liked there was first short story. The rest felt repetitive and because of that very boring. It felt as I would be reading same book instead 3 separate novels. I liked both main characters but Sandy is not author for me. It is still good that there is something more than usual grimdark from BL.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast