BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Salamanders: Tome of Fire trilogy

Ok, I am half way through book II.
    Got a lot of questions:

***********************SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS************************
    In book I: Tsu'gan hates Iagon, yet in book II Tsu'gan recommends Iagon replace him as a sergeant. makes no sense.
    Is Nihilan (the leader of the Dragon Warriors) a former Salamander? During the scene where he is having his war council with other renegades and FRIKKIN XENOS (thought even chaos space marines on the whole hated xenos) it seems like Nihilan eludes to his past as a Salamander, plus a Marines Malevolent contingent was there (thought they were loyalist) and a FRIKKIN BLACK DRAGON!?!?!?! Thought those guys were wiped out.

Please, someone shed some holy light on this mess.

Thanks!

Yep, Nihilan is a renegade Salamander:

Nihilan, formerly a Lexicanum of the Salamanders, was a Chaos Sorcerer bend on the destruction of his former Chapter. His motivations are initially to avenge the death of Vai'tan Ushorak of the Black Dragons Space Marine chapter whom he had followed in worship of the Chaos Gods. ([URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Nihilan"]source[/URL])
    After turning his back on the Salamanders, he joined the Black Dragons and became Ushorak's protégé.
    Last edited by jodrell; 12-29-2011 at 03:53 AM. Reason: fixed typo

was that Book I of Tome of Fire? I must have missed all of that....
    thanks for the source tho!

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by jodrell View Post
    After turning his back on the Salamanders, he joined the Black Dragons and became Ushorak's protégé.
    He doesn't join the Black Dragons, he joins Ushorak's (a renegade Black Dragon) warband- there's a big difference.

Tsu'gan doesn't hate Iagon in the first book, not sure where you got that idea from.
    And no, the Black Dragons weren't wiped out, and yes, the Marines Malevolent are loyalists but that particular contingent was mutated in some way and so had been (sort of) exiled from the Chapter.

@baonr Spikey-
    Doesn't Tsu'Gan have a very deep hatred for a 'low-born Ignean' Salamander in Book I? Because it seems like there is a divide in the CHapter between high-born and low-born Salamanders, and the fact that some feel they should embrace and nurture their human heritage and others think they should cast it out.

Also, I thought in the 40K fluff in general the Black Dragons Chapter was a cursed founding and thus labelled Excommunicatus or something.

And would you know where I can find the source on the Marines Malevolent split? Would be curious to read that fluff too!

Thanks

Chaplain

He detests him for being born low-born society on Nocturne. Where Tsu'Gan was born to a noble family and history. He thinks its beneath him to have such a low-born become a Salamander thats all.
    "Heretics crave the cleansing fire of absolution. They need not fear, for we shall deliver"

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Jmaximum View Post
    @baonr Spikey-
    Doesn't Tsu'Gan have a very deep hatred for a 'low-born Ignean' Salamander in Book I? Because it seems like there is a divide in the CHapter between high-born and low-born Salamanders, and the fact that some feel they should embrace and nurture their human heritage and others think they should cast it out.

Also, I thought in the 40K fluff in general the Black Dragons Chapter was a cursed founding and thus labelled Excommunicatus or something.

And would you know where I can find the source on the Marines Malevolent split? Would be curious to read that fluff too!

Thanks
    Yeah he hates the Ignean but not Iagon, 2 different people

The Black Dragons are a cursed founding but doesn't mean they're automatically classed as Excommunicatus- a lot of Chapters arose from the 21st Founding and most of the ones we know about haven't gone renegade.

And this Marines Malevolent split is explained in slightly more detail in the 3rd book in the Tome of Fire.
    Last edited by Baron Spikey; 01-05-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: oops I meant haven't gone renegade, not 'have'

again, my thanks to Baron Spikey for shedding some light.
    But, while reading Book II I have come across this, on page 293:
    'Ba'Ken had always thought of Iagon as a serpent dressed in ceramite, a poisonous creature unworthy of the title Fire-born.Polar opposites, like their feuding sergeants had been, Ba'Ken and Iagon had never liked each other. Like Tsu'gan and Dak'ir before them, it bordered on enmity.'

So I may have been confusing Iagon with Dak'ir from book I.

Chapter-Master

Seems so. Iagon is clearly named after Othello's Iago--a traitor and a backstabber.

www.queencityguard.com

just finished book 3 (will have to go back and read book 1 again because I dont remember anything about the Marines Malevolent on the Archimedes Rex).
    While it is indeed called a trilogy, I do hope they write a fourth book, or at least a side story about what happens with Tsu'gan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast