BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Unless he made them scoring . . . then there is almost no reason to move auto cannon dreads up the board.
    I think he was worried about Zoanthrope shots, which I did manage to shove under the Reinforced Aegis anyway. I'll suggest that Dreads need to stay in the back.

And supposing a Purifier squad does maul my Gaunt screen, then my Tervigon coughs up a fresh dozen Gaunts, then Prime and Venoms charge your squad. Prime has Shadows, if you passed last time you're due for a miss, Venoms have Lashwhips knocking you down to I1, the Prime gets 5 ID power weapon swings at I6, S6, and WS6, 4 of your 5 remaining go splat and then the Venoms gnaw the last one to pieces. I consolidate back into my Gaunt screen, next turn.

Or at least, that's going by percentages. Even when a dice rolls statistically average, it rarely doles out a precisely average set of numbers each turn. That's why we play the game (well, that and nicely painted bugs look better on top of nicely painted terrain than in a carrying case).

Quote Originally Posted by celestialatc View Post
    Crowe should be hiding out behind a rhino or razorback you bought for another squad on turn one. Then jump in and stay in the razorback on your turn.
    not always, if Crowe is not an objective (ie its not a Kill Point mission or special points for killing an HQ) he may as well join the fray. I mean WS 8 is awesome and he has some weird abilities plus he has a 2+/4+ invo from iron Halo/ Artificer armor and 2 wounds giving some survivability. What I tend to do if he isn't a victory condition is run him up and engage those monstrous creature Crowe can kill one on his own, even if he does die to it he can cast his heroic sacrifice and take the blasted thing to the abyss with him.

I usually use him to protect dreadnoughts in the back field....which you said your opponent kept moving up. Unless he made them scoring (which he did not because you need a Grand Master for that) then there is almost no reason to move auto cannon dreads up the board. It's a 48" reach, it will hit something!
    This is something else you can do with Crowe, but I only resort to it if he is again a victory condition. Also I routinely move my dreads because guess what Reinforced Aegis is as far as Psychic defense goes. I can shut down all those annoying Eldar dooms and Space Wolf JotWW, LL, MH Rune Priests. In this situation though you raise a valid point because it doesn't look like you had any Pyschic attack abilities you could have used (unless I fail at my Nid knowledge).

I learned with crowe that he is a little bit better then what I thought, if a large out flanking party comes up in the backnd then ju I can use cleansing flame ast defensive stance with him. He hopefully gets one attack and then can reroll his armor saves...it's pretty sweet. He becomes a tar pit for a turn or two.
    ^This is one of the many reasons Crowe is actually pretty amazing too. He can take on an entire squad of gants or Genestealers him self and at the very least he will keep the unit tied up in CC until a better unit can get there to clean them up.

The way I run purifiers is I tend to have 2-3 Psyfileman dreads and then a bunch of 6 man Purifiers squads in Razorbacks with psybolt ammo (this can lay some hurt on your monstrous creatures). Then if I have the points I throw in a Psychic Inquisitor with Rad and some times psykotroke grenades with a bigger squad in a rhino mostly for assaulting big units.

The last time I played my local Nids player I ran my Inquisitor unit into 3 separate Carnifex's without loosing a singly model in CC and killed each one very easily. Rad grenades are a vicious beast and unless you kill that unit with shooting its going to eat through your army.
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

Zoanthropes, I run a brood of 2, are basically a walking psychic gun. Has both an 18" range, S10 AP1 Lance spell and an 18" range, S5 AP3 B3" Blast spell. Ld 10, Dread Aegis probably should have stopped more, but that's the upside to dice with a fear of 4+ rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Zoanthropes, I run a brood of 2, are basically a walking psychic gun. Has both an 18" range, S10 AP1 Lance spell and an 18" range, S5 AP3 B3" Blast spell. Ld 10, Dread Aegis probably should have stopped more, but that's the upside to dice with a fear of 4+ rolls.
    lawl yeah. I love it though when I play against a Psyker heavy army and people look at me like why are you dreads marching and I am like 12" bubble of F U!!!!!!
    Ahhh- I might be having a heart attack!! I am over weight, over fifty and I am speedballing tranq darts and pure adrenaline!!

Chaplain

Haha, I did not know that is how Zoanthropes work....makes perfect sense to move the dreads up and protect your boys with the -4 LD shield! Aegis FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    Does your local player run Venomthropes? Because they make the Gaunts a little scarier in close combat -- any unit of Termagants who connects to the 6" aura (Unless I've missed it, I only need 1 model in range of the aura to extend power to the whole unit, like Sang Priests) gets Defensive Grenades and inflicts Dangerous Terrain on all models who assault. That takes away the assault bonus at least, might get a couple of Purifiers on the way in depending on dice luck ('1' was a very popular number for this game, on both sides).
    I used venomthropes to great effect in my local games ... right up until people realized that they were actually a threat. Now they're just primary targets, and even though they're 2 wounds each, they're still T4. It's been a long time since I've had a venomthrope last more than 1 turn. They're good, but only if your opponent doesn't appreciate how useful they are and realize that it's not much harder to put wounds on them then on the guys they're protecting, and that once they're gone it's easier to kill everything else. Better off using the precious elite slot for something else, IMO.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Denied View Post
    lawl yeah. I love it though when I play against a Psyker heavy army and people look at me like why are you dreads marching and I am like 12" bubble of F U!!!!!!
    I was under the impression that it only worked on units which already had the basic aegis, so wouldn't work on most vehicles.

I was under the impression that it only worked on units which already had the basic aegis, so wouldn't work on most vehicles.
    SM vehicles in a GK army have Aegis themselves. Only thing which doesn't is the Chimera.

I used venomthropes to great effect in my local games ... right up until people realized that they were actually a threat. Now they're just primary targets,
    If the Venomthropes are eating all the bullets, that means my Tervigon, Hive Guard, and Zoanthropes aren't. And that's good enough for me. Or I can put the Carnifex and Tervigon side-by-side and physically cut off LOS to the venoms if I need them to stay alive.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

How did you like ripper swarms?

Are stormravens really as bad as people are making out? I've had some luck with them but it's all in the deployment / 1st & 2nd turns.

If you go first then have it on the table and pray he doesn't steal the initiative , if you go second just keep it in reserve. Generally move it 24" and use the multi-melta to take out tanks that are a threat (in my last game it was a tripple las cannon predator). Then when it's safe use the 12" move to fire all weapons and disembard your assault squad near the target of choice.

I ran it with TL Plascannos / Multimelta / Teleporter Homer in a 1500 list . The non scattering deep strike from a dreadknight and regular termies pretty much won me the game . Focus fired all anti vehicle + tank units with the 2 psyriflemen and whatever gun needed firing via POTMS .

I can see it being especially useful against nids if you loaded it with a GM with grenades + terminator unit , gave the stormraven Assault cannons + Heavy bolters + Hurricane bolters and gave it psybolt ammo , could be very nasty. The psi-strike missiles also have their uses for hurting zoanthropes .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast