BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Tyranids at 2000

After reading today's front-page article on Synapse and some of the comments, I decided to review the 2000-pt list I plan to collect for Tyranids. Currently, I have ~1500 points of models (well, once I finish assembling the 20 million or so Gaunts I need to feed my Tervigon), but everything from 1500 up to 2000 is going to be expensive, and I'd rather hash out any problems *before* purchasing any more Monstrous(ly expensive) Creature kits.

The List (everything marked with ** has yet to be purchased):

HQ - Tyranid Prime (Boneswords, Talons, Adrenal)

Troop - Termagants (12)
    Troop - Termagants (12)
    Troop - Tervigon (Toxin Sacs, Catalyst)
    Troop - **Tervigon (Toxin Sacs, Catalyst)
    Troop - Genestealers (11; Toxin Sacs; Broodlord w/ Scything Talons)

Elite - Hive Guard (3)
    Elite - Venomthropes (2)
    Elite - Zoanthropes (2) in **Mycetic Spore

Fast - **Gargoyles (10)

Heavy - Carnifex (2x T-L Brainleech)
    Heavy - Trygon (Prime, Adrenal)
    Heavy - **Trygon (Prime, Adrenal)

I'm currently running both trygons as primes for the extra containment field shots, and so regardless of which one shows up first, Shadows is in place to keep Force Weapons out of my hide. The Gargoyles are mainly just there to create extra cover for the main MCs (Carnifex, both Tervigons). Your thoughts please?

Quote Originally Posted by DWest View Post
    After reading today's front-page article on Synapse and some of the comments, I decided to review the 2000-pt list I plan to collect for Tyranids. Currently, I have ~1500 points of models (well, once I finish assembling the 20 million or so Gaunts I need to feed my Tervigon), but everything from 1500 up to 2000 is going to be expensive, and I'd rather hash out any problems *before* purchasing any more Monstrous(ly expensive) Creature kits.

The List (everything marked with ** has yet to be purchased):

HQ - Tyranid Prime (Boneswords, Talons, Adrenal)

Troop - Termagants (12)
    Troop - Termagants (12)
    Troop - Tervigon (Toxin Sacs, Catalyst)
    Troop - **Tervigon (Toxin Sacs, Catalyst)
    Troop - Genestealers (11; Toxin Sacs; Broodlord w/ Scything Talons)

Elite - Hive Guard (3)
    Elite - Venomthropes (2)
    Elite - Zoanthropes (2) in **Mycetic Spore

Fast - **Gargoyles (10)

Heavy - Carnifex (2x T-L Brainleech)
    Heavy - Trygon (Prime, Adrenal)
    Heavy - **Trygon (Prime, Adrenal)

I'm currently running both trygons as primes for the extra containment field shots, and so regardless of which one shows up first, Shadows is in place to keep Force Weapons out of my hide. The Gargoyles are mainly just there to create extra cover for the main MCs (Carnifex, both Tervigons). Your thoughts please?

nice list! This is really close to what I run with my nids. I have had a lot of success after dropping the genestealers and adding a third tervigon...I also always run with 3 trygons. I miss carnifexes but they dont work for me anymore.

yep trygons>fex

am also not sure about the single stealer unit . runing bigger guant ones maybe better . if there is any cover a lot of armies can kill stealers both with hth and shoting [thx crudd for removing frags from our army]. I would either go with a bigger stealer unit to soak up dmg or trade them for more guants.

also . Gargoyles , why ?

OK, let me go one unit at a time.
    The Prime, what will it join? Let me get back to this later.
    The broodlord is, in my experience, too expensive for what it does. It's a HUGE points sink.
    MSU Termagants FTW, only add more as a points sink.
    Zoanthropes. From what I've seen, they only work in groups of 3, because they are sooooo unreliable. They seem to be anti tank, but the odds are SO heavily stacked against you they rarely do their job. Plus since you are clearly an army that will walk there (TM) any counter-assault or assault unit the enemy has will eat them in no time.
    Venomthropes, one works just as well as two. They can die easily, so just hide them well. And for cover, you can use the Gargoyles. (more on this in a second.
    Carnifex, poor little guy. Expensive for a shooting platform., but if you have the model, go ahead and play it. It really isn't as bad as people say.

So as a Tyranid player, here's what I recommend playing:
    [code]
    Tyr at 2k BOLS suggestions (2000pts)
    2000pt Tyranids 5th Ed (2010) Roster (Standard)

Selections:

* HQ

* The Parasite of Mortrex
    ("Sarge is Acting Strangely...", Host Organism, Implant Parasite, Independent Character, Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature)
    Bonded Exoskeleton, Implant Attack, Rending Claws, Wings

* Elites

* Hive Guard Brood
    * 3x Hive Guard
    (Instinctive Behaviour - Lurk)
    3x Claws and Teeth, 3x Hardened Carapace, 3x Impaler Cannon

* Zoanthrope Brood
    * Mycetic Spore
    (Deep Strike, Fearless, Immobile Pod, Limited Sentience, Transport Spore)
    Hardened Carapace, Lash Whip, Ripper Tentacles
    * 3x Zoanthrope
    (Psyker, Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature, Warp Field)
    3x Claws and Teeth, 3x Reinforced Chitin, 3x Warp Blast, 3x Warp Lance

* Troops

* Genestealer Brood
    * 10x Genestealer
    (Brood Telepathy, Fleet, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover)
    10x Reinforced Chitin, 10x Rending Claws, 10x Toxin Sacs

* Termagant Brood
    * 10x Termagant
    (The Scuttling Swarm)
    10x Chitin, 10x Claws and Teeth, 10x Fleshborer

* Termagant Brood
    * 10x Termagant
    (The Scuttling Swarm)
    10x Chitin, 10x Claws and Teeth, 10x Fleshborer

* Tervigon
    (Brood Progenitor, Psyker, Shadow in the Warp, Spawn Termagants, Synapse Creature)
    Bonded exoskeleton, Catalyst, Claws and teeth, Cluster Spines, Dominion, Toxin Sacs

* Tervigon
    (Brood Progenitor, Psyker, Shadow in the Warp, Spawn Termagants, Synapse Creature)
    Bonded exoskeleton, Catalyst, Claws and teeth, Cluster Spines, Dominion, Toxin Sacs

* Fast Attack

* Gargoyle Brood
    * 20x Gargoyle
    (Instinctive Behaviour - Lurk)
    20x Adrenal Glands, 20x Blinding Venom, 20x Chitin, 20x Claws and Teeth, 20x Fleshborer, 20x Wings

* Heavy Support

* Carnifex Brood
    * Carnifex
    (Fearless, Instinctive Behaviour - Feed, Living Battering Ram)
    Bonded Exoskeleton, 2x Twin-linked Devourers with Brainleech Worms

* Trygon
    (Deep Strike, Fearless, Fleet, Subterranean Assault)
    Adenal Glands, Bio-electric Pulse, Bonded Exoskeleton, Scything Talons (two sets), Upgrade to Trygon Prime (Containment Spines, Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature)

* Trygon
    (Deep Strike, Fearless, Fleet, Subterranean Assault)
    Adenal Glands, Bio-electric Pulse, Bonded Exoskeleton, Scything Talons (two sets), Upgrade to Trygon Prime (Containment Spines, Shadow in the Warp, Synapse Creature)

[/code]
    Created with [url=http://www.battlescribe.net]BattleScribe[/url]

The 20 Gargoyles replace the Venomthropes for granting cover saves, since they cover more than enough of any of your units. I also drop the Prime in favor of The Parasite of Mortrex. He's an independent character, so he joins the Gargoyles and grants them Synapse. And the Gargoyles are 20 ablative wounds for your HQ. Ripper Swarms are a problem, since they are free points for your opponent. Except the rules say you only put them in play if you have the models. So, don't have them.
    the Gargoyles themselves, however, are so much more than ablative wounds. The Adrenal Glands ar mandatory, since it allows them to glance vehicles, and to hit before the enemy if they assault most non-assault units. The Parasite is surprisingly good against MCs and Vehicles. 5 S6 rending attacks on the charge. And if you rend an MC, you kill it thanks to Implant Attack. It's quite nice in mirror games for hunting enemy Trygons, and Vehicles can be easily torn apart even if you're not an MC.
    I've cut the Broodlord and one Genestealer, but have upped the Zoans to a full 3. that helps them be more of a distraction, and means that you'll, on average, actually do something to the enemy with them. That and the Genestealers (dropped to 10, no Broodlord) will keep the enemy busy while your army runs to kill it.

DISCLAIMER: These are just tips and my opinion. It's YOUR army, play whatever you're most comfortable with!

Gargoyles , why ?
    Oops, I actually meant to address that -- they're a mobile LOS screen that sit high enough off the ground to block for the Tervies as well. And it also feeds my desire to cover the table in as many large piles of bugs as possible.

I guess a bigger question I should ask is: Can Tyranids still do a big horde list? I feel like if I swap in a 2nd Trygon and more stealers, while it would probably be an upgrade I would then be better off grabbing a Flyrant and going null-deployment. And I already have a Blood Angels army configured for null-deployment. So I should probably change my original question to "What can I do to improve this list while still starting mostly on-board and carpeting said board with models?"
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

I cannot recommend getting some Ymgarls in there enough. Their deployment rule is solid gold for nids. I've found that the key to playing nids is minimizing your opponent's chances to shoot at you, and well placed Ymgarls will not be shot at. If they are shot at, the 4+ save helps out a lot against bolters and they can serve as a fantastic distraction that keeps the rest of your advancing army alive. At this point I find myself taking 20 or 30 in every game.