BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Primer flaking off?

I just moved from Texas to Colorado and I am getting some weird problems with primer. I have used Army Painter on resin, and GW on metal, but the primer easily chips and flakes off.
    The conditions for priming should be good. The air is dry. The temp may be a little cold, but I would say no colder than 50F when I spray. Not having any problems with the plastic models. Any tips?

Chapter-Master

did you wash your models beforehand?
    There's usually a lubricant used to release the model from the mould on the sprue. This will prevent the primer from sticking.

To remove the lube (hehehe) just soak n' water with a little bit of Dawn (or appropriate sink dish soap-no dishwasher/laundry detergent).
    Then rinse.
    Let dry.

Veteran-Sergeant

I did a good wash beforehand in both cases. I wash after trimming the flash. With the metal there could have been oils from my hand on there since I played a few games with the model before priming. The resin models were totally clean.
    I feel like it is mostly an environmental issue since I never had problems like this before I moved. You'd think that hot, humid Texas would be way worse for spraying than Colorado.

Low temp can cause problems with spray paints.

make sure the paint and minis are both about 70 (F) and try painting indoors. You just need enough for a test, no need to fill house with fumes. If that works better try same temp but spray outside then bring inside to dry.

Chapter-Master

Well there's your problem.

You were using expensive primers. You should just use Krylon Flat Camo primers from Walmart for 4 bucks. They're GREEEEEEEEAT.

www.queencityguard.com

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    Low temp can cause problems with spray paints.

make sure the paint and minis are both about 70 (F) and try painting indoors. You just need enough for a test, no need to fill house with fumes. If that works better try same temp but spray outside then bring inside to dry.
    Sprayed while it was warm today. Looks like I got better results. Guess I just need to wait for the warm days to get my primin done.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Well there's your problem.

You were using expensive primers. You should just use Krylon Flat Camo primers from Walmart for 4 bucks. They're GREEEEEEEEAT.
    I started out using that stuff and the same auto primer I used on motorcycle tanks. I'll never go back. I can't use 900 grit sandpaper on a mini to make sure the finish is smooth.

I've never understood why people will pay $50 for a box of models and not spend the $0.35 extra per model to make sure the primer is right.

Just keep in mind that GW's isn't a primer, it's just black spraypaint. It stopped being an actual primer years ago.