BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Necron Doomsday Ark

This is an open thread (well when are threads not open ) just wanted to know what other people thought of the doomsday ark as a heavy support choice for necrons, do you think it's worth the points, are you concerned about it having to remain stationary to get the strength 9ap1 large blast? Have you used it in a game yet and if so how did it go?
    http://malletman40kfantasyhobby.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

Hi, mallet man-

I've used the Doosday Ark in several games, and it's generally been worth its points.

With such a long shooting range, I can usually place it so that no one can get much of a shot at it (the only problem is making sure the Ark can see its targets).

Give it a try in a game or two and see how it works for you.

Brent

Just make sure you proxy it first before you buy or make it. This way there will be no regrets, if you take the time to buy it, make it and paint it, and then find you hate it.

Only you can know for sure if you like it. Play a few games with proxies if possible.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Brother-Sergeant

I've used one in a couple games so far (Brand new to 40k, and picked Necrons as the awesome death robots that they are) With the starter army coming with a Ghost Ark, I just put the Doomsday cannon together and slapped it on a base to proxy it as I had already built and not magnetized the Ghost Ark.

This unit is a beast. Wiped out a bunch of Orks with this gun, long before they even reached me. Then proceeded to wound and harass other units in the enemy army until it finally was destroyed. I likes it.

As nice as it is... is it worth the points? Especially when you have Annihilation Barges competing for the same slot?

Brother-Captain

I'm not impressed by it. It's expensive and has to sit still to make use of its gun. With proper terrain and smart play by your opponent, it won't be firing to full effect very often and likely into/through cover.

It's not bad as area denial or if you have the means to slow down/corral enemy units, but it definitely won't fit in every list.

Definitely try before you buy.

Scout

I haven't actually used the Doomsday Ark in a game yet, but that's because I generally choose the Barges over it due to points difference. The Barges are more mobile (I'm a big fan of the mobile shooting), and if one get destroyed it's not a huge loss points-wise. Also, the Barge has a greater chance of having a higher return for your points ivestment.

Brother-Sergeant

Definitely my big issue with the Doomsday Ark is the placement of the gun and having LOS issues. Unless I manage to play a game where there is a piece of terrain that is higher up or on a plateau like area, it normally gets destroyed before I get to fire off a shot. The other gun it underwhelming by comparison.

Hmmm.... Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but my friends and I have a rule we follow when we make lists. 10% of the points we dedicate to a unit we wouldn't normally take, or because it isn't as reliable. For instance, for Grey Knights, I will take a Xenos inquisitor with Conversion Beamer, in a squad of 3 plasma Cannon servitors. Not because they are that good, but because they are fun. If I would use the Doomsday Ark, I would use only 1, and only at 2000. I know that it won't reliably do anything, but I feel that having a giant cannon in the corner blasting shots off would be fun.

Brother-Sergeant

As mentioned it does struggle with making points back due to those pesky cover saves.
    Although they do have a large target painted on them as people are scared of the gun even before the know what it can do they dont generally last that long for me

But if they are shooting at that they are ignoring my barges and troops

Has anyone tried 2 of them for more coverage of the board?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast