BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Necrons 2K competitive.

I've been thinking about Necrons and slowly tweaking lists, finding out things that work and things that don't. Let's see where I am right now:[code]
    Things that go Bump in the Night (1995pts)
    2000pt Necrons 5th Ed (2011) Roster (Standard)

Selections:

* HQ

* Destroyer Lord
    Mindshackle Scarabs, Warscythe

* Imotekh The Stormlord
    Bloodswarm Nanoscarabs, Gauntlet of Fire, Phase Shifter, Phylactery, Sempiternal Weave, Staff of the Destroyer
    * Cryptec
    * Harbinger of the Storm
    Voltaic Staff
    * Cryptec
    * Harbinger of the Storm
    Voltaic Staff
    * Cryptec
    * Harbinger of the Storm
    Voltaic Staff
    * Cryptec
    * Harbinger of Eternity
    Aeonstave, Chronometron

* Troops

* Necron Warriors
    * Ghost Ark
    2x Gauss Flayer Array (5 Flayers per Array), Quantum Shielding
    * 5x Necron Warrior
    5x Gauss Flayer

* Necron Warriors
    * Ghost Ark
    * 5x Necron Warrior
    5x Gauss Flayer

* Necron Warriors
    * Ghost Ark
    * 5x Necron Warrior
    5x Gauss Flayer

* Fast Attack

* Canoptek Scarabs
    7x Canoptek Scarab Swarm

* Canoptek Wraiths
    * Canoptek Wraith
    Phase Shifter, Whip Coils
    * Canoptek Wraith
    Phase Shifter, Transdimensional Beamer
    * Canoptek Wraith
    Particle Caster, Phase Shifter
    * Canoptek Wraith
    Phase Shifter

* Canoptek Wraiths
    * Canoptek Wraith
    Phase Shifter, Whip Coils
    * Canoptek Wraith
    Phase Shifter, Transdimensional Beamer
    * Canoptek Wraith
    Particle Caster, Phase Shifter
    * Canoptek Wraith
    Phase Shifter

* Heavy Support

* Canoptek Spyders
    * Canoptek Spyder
    Fabricator Claw Array, Scarab Hive
    * Canoptek Spyder
    Scarab Hive
    * Canoptek Spyder
    Gloom Prism, Scarab Hive

* Doom Scythe
    Death Ray, Twin-linked Tesla Destructor

* Doom Scythe
    Death Ray, Twin-linked Tesla Destructor

[/code]
    Created with [url=http://www.battlescribe.net]BattleScribe[/url]

This is basically an Imhotekh list, but I'd say a quite efficient one. Let's walk through the options.
    The Destroyer Lord joins one of the units of Wraiths. The Whip Coils help the Lord strike first even with his low initiative, and the Wraiths themselves make sure the Lord gets to the target to dish out some damage. Wound allocation musical chairs are good with 3++ saves, or so I hear. Mindshackle Scarabs are mostly there to deal with the real melee powerhouses you can find in the game, since it has a good chance of turning them off for a very low price.They strike at the same time as the two Doom Scythes. The Scythes are your go-to tank killers, and can easily hit 2 tanks in a mech list every time they shoot.
    This is followed closely by the rest of the army. Scarabs and Spyders are a terrifying combination, even without trying to claim the conga line is valid (it isn't). Scarabs hit very hard in this codex, easily taking out any vehicle in the game. And the Spyders have 9 MC attacks on the charge, also playing wound allocation musical chairs to make sure they get there too.
    Seems like WAMC is the new black.
    Troops are quite light, and the weakest link in the army list. 3 MSUs of Warriors in Ghost Arks, each joined by a Harbinger of the Storm. Fluffy for an Imhotekh list, although unintentionally so. You have to be very careful not to get greedy with the Warriors, although they dish out some damage. Losing them early in the game can spell disaster! each unit can shoot out 20 Flayer shots and 4 Voltaic Staff shots at 12", or 10 Flayer shots at 24". The Haywire rule on the staffs really helps disable enemy vehicles, and is reason enough by itself to get the Crypteks. But since they also provide volume of fire against hordes ,there really is no better alternative here.
    Here is where things get sketchy. I have Imhotekh with a Harbinger of Eternity armed with a Chronometron. The good thing this does is greatly increase the chances your Night Fighting stays turned on, along with the free lightning bolts it provides. But it also means thet Imhotekh better hide himself well in terrain and go to ground, or he'll die in no time. You could remove the Harbinger and put Imhotekh in a unit of Warriors, or even in the unit of Spyders! But having him hide this way has several interesting side effects. It tends to draw more attention than needed on Imhotekh ("I gotta kill those two dudes to see sunlight again!"), meaning the enemy general tends to make mistakes, the most common being directing firepower towards him. In addition to that, it prevents any of your units to become too precious a target, since adding Imhotekh to them means more than doubling the reward for killing it. Even being alone with his Cryptek bodyguard, Imhotekh is surprisingly hard to kill, so I opted for playing him that way.

So any thoughts, comments and criticism will be welcome!

Veteran-Sergeant

One problem is your going to have trouble holding objectives. In an objective game a good general would destroy your toops before they can even get to the objectives, and the only way u can win is a wipe out or go for a draw. Your troops would have to stay in the GhostArks and hope they dont get shoot down, because once they come out they will not survie long. Possible keeping one or two in reseve might help them live long enough to get to objectives hold well thats another story, hopefullly night fight cont. and u dont have to get too close. I would suggest makeing them bigger or something to make them live longer in case night fight goes away

The wraiths are a good idea the only problem is with only one whip coil in each squad might be a problem, since (i dont have my codex in front of my) but its only models in base contact with the wraith with the coil which means only a few will not attack, if u postion him right u can work it out, i would suggest throwing another one in there to make sure to cover the whole squadm i mean i get the point of wound allocation but u want to get more bang for your buck

As for your Doom scythe, u have to remember they will need to get close nice u will also be rolling for night fight ss well (once agian i dont have my codex lol)and i think the max range is 36"

either way looks like a fun list best thing to do is to test play it figure what works and doesnt and go from there I have a 2000 necron list as well maybe i will post up when i get home

Yes, Whip Coils only work against miniatures in B2B contact. If I could I'd add another Wraith with Whips to each unit, but I can't find where to get the points. The ideal unit is 5 Wraiths: 2 with Whip Coils, 1 with Particle Caster and one with Beamer, joined by a Destroyer Lord. I'm tempted to try out only one large unit of Wraiths, since I can't get two optimal ones, but feel this will give me more flexibility.
    Doom Scythes have Death Rays, not sure what you're confusing them with. They shoot at 12", and draw a 3d6" line from the origin point to wherever you decide. The whole idea is I get to sidestep the Night Fighting restrictions.
    Yes, I have few troops, and that's a problem. But I can screen my Ghost Arks (that are AV13 at the beginning) with my Wraiths, giving them cover quite easily even if there's little terrain. I can also zoom them around until I need them, so I don't really fear them dying too quickly. So we have Night Fighting, cover, and AV13 to protect my precious troops. In an objectives game they are the prime target, so if usiing all this I can draw fire away from my killy units I'll probably have an edge.
    Last edited by Lemt; 01-06-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Veteran-Sergeant

Ok on the Doom Scythe lol forgot they were 12" I dont have the codex lol with me.

Screen the arks with the wraiths would be a good idea, giving u a chance for cover save and all, just the lack of troops will be a problem, if you do a larger squad of wraiths that might free up some points maybe increasing those squads a little, and as i said maybe leaving on in reseve might help if u lose one or two scoring units.

Best thing is to play test it its how it works tweak after all in all your plan seems sound and should work hopefully