BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default The Dark Journey, 20 Games to Kabal Greatness.

It has been over a year since the new book hit the shelves. And with a great number of games under my belt I am hoping to embark on a quest to find the keys to success commanding the Dark Kin. I shall be taking you all on 20 realspace raids. I shall be reporting the battles and will then embark on more detailed tactical discussion and general comments on the performance of my army. It is widely accepted that at -least- 20 games with a certain army against a plethora of opponents will give you insight as to the ebb and flow of an army list. Hence I seek the wisdom of the Kabals and invite you to join with me on this journey. I ask you to gain inspiration from these feasts and insight to the path you will each embark on yourselves. And the end of these 20 games we shall have a better understanding of the deadly tools at the disposal of the Kabals and how to use them with tactical and strategical efficiency in game.

Cheers!

If you are also interested, you can follow the painting of my Kabal here: [url=http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102867]Kabal of the Deadly Mist[/url]
    You can also follow my Archons Painting Challenge here:
    [url=http://thedarkcity.forummotion.com/t2087-hq-edition-comment-thread-skari]HQ Edition[/url]

http://.skared.podbean.com Twitter: @Skari2 Youtube Channel: Skared Cast

Veteran-Sergeant

Ok, so on to game 1. I decided to do this journey after this game so its not as detailed and more meant as a prologue to the journey itself. So, on to the lists and generals, ill begin with the crons:
    Mark is a good general, played crons religiously since their previous release, all through 3rd, 4th and up to the new book, with good results. He is a great tactician and general and every time we play its more a chess match then a 40k game, he has been trying a few concept lists and his latest one is aimed ad destroying transports and eating the insides.
    Vanguard Obyron and His Overlord. (Amazing combo)
    5 cryptect with s8, 36" assault funs
    Lord with resorb and power weapon
    6 lychguard with sword and board
    5 6 man warrior units
    2 5 man wraith units with 2 pistols and 2 sets of coils
    10 scarabs
    That was it.
    My list:
    Archon, agon, drugs, shadow, phansasm launcher
    2 heamies with liquifiers
    4 incubi with venom dual cannon
    2 sets of 9 wyches, hex with agon, haywires , one with gauntlets, one with s and I.
    Raiders with ff
    10 warriors with syb,sc, bl
    Raider with ff
    5 warriors blaster
    Venom dual cannon
    3 wracks
    Venom dual cannon
    6 rbj with champ, 2 heatlances
    2 lance ravagers with ff and NS
    Razorwing, sc, ff and dissies.
    Each list was 1850 pts. We played a local tournament mission with 3 objective levels:
    Pitched battle, victory pts primary, sieze ground secondary and kill points tertiary
    We rolled off and I won the roll, although I knew he had a lot of guns I let him deploy first. He then deployed in a line across the table, I would usually reserve everything and I think he was expecting that, but then I sprung this little gem on him:

The refused flank.
    To sum it up. Even having first turn he was unable to bring enough firepower to bear, and the little that he did have was uneventful. This allowed me to rush up his one flank and pick his force apart. I also kept a venom warrior unit in reserve to come in and later affect the battle and the razorwing, that loves to arrive and cause mayhem. In order to keep him on his toes I left the rjb unit on my far left (top of the pick) this deterred him from moving towards my main force with his second wraith unit keeping them out of the real fight for 3 turns. A few notes, I am paying for heatlances on the rjb's, but I feel the blasters would server the way I run the unit better. I have run them with hl for 2 games so its too early to tell, but this is the most glaring thing.

AnywayN thoughts?
    Next game:
    2k vs space wolves. Crazy invasion mission from the battles mission book.

The Archon looked upon the Mon'Khei landing pad. Its crude and gothic architecture a key landmark. The first units had infiltrated into position and taken the sentries out during the night. Retaliation was going to be swift... the Archons plan was unfolding. As the dawn sun rose there was a deep humming that began to emanate from the old teleportation pad near the landing zone.
    "It is time" The archon signaled the remaining forces of the Kabal waiting in ambush. The wolves were about to arrive.

So! Welcome all. To the first game in the 20 games series. This time I faced off against my friend Shawn and his Space Wolves. We played a 2000pt battle, and rolled for a random mission from the Battles Mission book. (this is something that we have been doing very frequently, what better way to test your mettle and generalship skills?)
    The mission was the Invasion Mission. This mission is a deamon mission and the space wolves rolled to play the role of the deamons. As per the mission, this meant that he would split his army into two waves, the first wave would arrive T1 from any table edges and/or the portal in the middle of the table. I was allowed to place anything in reserve as well... we determined that my reserves would also arrive from any table edge. I deployed a few units on top of the landing pad. The idea was simple, get the wrack pain token onto my Incubi and then use them to kill grey hunters. Alas that is not what happened. This was my list:

Archon, PGL, Agon, SF, Drugs, HWG
    4 Incubi Venom Dual Cannon
    Min Sized Archon Court venom Dual Cannon

Heamy with Liquifier
    9 Wyches, Hex w/ agon, S&I, HWG
    Raider FF
    Heamy with Liquifier
    9 Wyches, Hex w/ agon, Gauntlets, HWG
    Raider FF
    10 Warriors, Syb, SC, Bl
    Raider FF
    10 Warriors with a DL and Bl
    3 Wracks in Venom dual cannon

6 RJB with 2x HL and champ

2 Ravagers, FF, NS 3 lances
    1 Razorwing, FF, dissies, SC

Total 2000pts

- This is basically my 1850 list. All I did was upgrade the 5 man warrior squad to a 10 man with DL & Bl and then added a court of the archon to take their venom. This then gave me 5 pts to give the archon HWG's. I like the versatility of this list and it works great in a variety of environments.

Now, my opponents list, please excuse the memory loss:

Wolf Lord, Frostblade, Storm Shield, Thunder Wolf
    5 Thuder wolves, one fist, 3 shields, 1 meltabomb (all wound allocated)

2 x 9 Grey Hunters, wolven, standard, meltagun in Rhino
    2 x 5 Grey Hunters, one with flamer one with MG, in Rzrback with TL lascannon

2 single land speeder typhoons.

Dreadnought with TL autocannon

Longfang Pack with 3 ML and 2 LC.
    Longfang Pack with 2 HB and 3 ML

4 Wolf Guards, 2 with PF and combimelta (in rhino squads), 2 naked (for long fangs as extra wounds)

- His list is a thundercav list. With a decent number of bodies on the table and a lot of shooting. With the versatility that the wolves grant on the table I was up for a tough game.

Here is a picture of deployment, I decided to deploy on the landing pad to prevent the Thunder wolves from charging (as cav they can't go up floors) on turn one and give me a good base of operations/serve as decoys. The rest of my army stayed in reserve.
    My opponent rolled for his waves, and did not get the preferred wave, therefore the moved up with a speeder, dread, one razorback squad and a longfang pack. This is what the table looked like:

In his first turn, he moved on, immobilized the venom that I had deployed, and eliminated the Incubi with a volley of frag rockets from the land speeder. I failed some saves and the lone survivor ran off the table... His long fangs moved into a position at the centre of the table supported by the dreadnought. It is important to note, that in this mission 6" all round from the centre of the table is impassable to me... and if I move through that area at any point, any unit that does just dies... as it is sucked away into the "vortex".

I shall post the conclusion to this wall of text soon. What do you think? What will happen? Was my tactical use of units flawed? The objectives in this mission are 4 of them on the mid lines dividing the table quarters. Capturing them means winning the game.

Veteran-Sergeant

Ok so, after that first turn volley and loss of the incubi I was at a great disadvantage... I also had a flamer getting to my position... so I had to think fast. I took the pain token from the wracks with the archon and made him join the 10 man darklance unit. This, I hoped, would keep them alive. The wracks then moved into the immobilized venom, from there they would be safe, for now. And would maybe later move out to take one of the two objectives near their position.

- I falied to take pics over the next few turns, so bear with me.

In his turn 2, the thunderwolves, other lngfang pack and razorback unit failed to arrive, the other land speeder and the second rhino GH unit did. He proceeded to pelt the 10 man unit that I had with about everything he had, frags, flamer, bolter... heavybolter. The FNP from the archon was a godsend and they survived with only 4 left. The lance and blaster were unscathed thankfully.

On my turn 2 I had one of the worst reserve rolls that I have ever had... well. I had one ravager show up, the reaver jetbikes, the razorwing and the archons court. I moved the bikes near the speeder, now, it is important to remember that I had rolled +1 str on my drugs, something that I had completely forgotten about! I could have charged the land speeder with the jetbikes once both heatlances had failed to hit but I moved them back instead. The archons court tried to stun the other one and also failed. The ravager moved on and shot at the dread, only stunning it, and the venoms shot into the long fangs after the razorwings volley had let loose, only one long fang remained. The archon moved away from the unit and charged the 5 man GH unit, he lost his shadow field in the process and only killed 1 model, I was lucky that there was no PF in the unit.

His turn 3 saw the entrance of the thunder wolves, they moved onto the back to keep the speeders alive, charging both the bikes and the archons court and wiping them out, my guys able to get only a few wounds through. The Reaver jetbikes then went ahead and rolled snake eyes for insane courage! (aww dang, this meant that I was not shooting at them next turn!). He moved the two rhinos to different objectives, the long fangs and the other unit in the razorback failed to show up once more. The archon continued to fight the HG unit on that side but only had one wound left.

On my turn 3 I had the other reserves arrive, the only one that had not was the warrior unit in the raider. I knew that I needed to focus on the mission so I decided to kill some troop. I moved up and engaged a rhino filled transport on the left most objective. I disembarked wyches and got them ready to assault the occupants. Sadly I was unable to open the transport with all that shooting! I was able to down a land speeder, In a desperate move I ran the wyches up and surrounded the rhino, I was lucky to wreck it with haywires and the unit failed morale and broke. (in the mission the SW units had to flee towards the center of the table, and if they made it to the middle they were removed) He was unable to rally in the next turn and the GH ran off the table. The archon finally dispatched of the remaining GH's and prepared to receive the charge from the Thunderwolves that had easily dispatched the remaining bikes.

This is what the game looked like at the 4rth turn mark:

He tried to wipe out the wyches with a bolter volley, but cover and FNP really helped them out. His razorback showed up and the other longfang pack was still not arriving. He killed my Archon in cc, and shot down my secondary wych raider. In my turn I was finally able to get a bead on the thunderwolves and every poison shot that I had was directed at them, leaving only the lord alive. I was able to secure the left and the bottom center objective, while contesting the north center one. He tapped out turn 6 having only 4 models left on the table.

So that was game.

Tactical notes:
    - Wyches with FNP are awesome keep them in cover and they can take a pounding.
    - In a game like this when reserves can come on from any place, keeping the incubi in reserve would have been a better idea, then they could have shown up and taken a unit by surprise hopefully.
    - Fun game.

Veteran-Sergeant

Game 2:
    Dark Eldar on Dark Eldar (also known as "How to advance ones self in the Dark City")

My list was my basic 1850 all commers list. His was:
    Baron + 10 hellions agon
    2x 10 wyches with agon and haywires in raiders
    10 warriors, DL, bl in raider
    4 blasterborn in venom with a heamy with liquifier
    6 RJB with 2 heat lances
    5 scourge with 2 haywire launchers
    3 ravagers, one with 3 dissies.

All tanks of his had Night Shields and flicker fields (this was a royal pain)

So, I completely did not take -any- pictures... but his army was not painted so I shall save you the eyesore.

Basic overview:
    Mission was one objective each, and spearhead. He deployed objective baron and hellions deep in his deployment zone. I placed warriors and raider behind building, 2 venoms, wracks with archon, incubi behind wall.
    He had deployed all his tanks and being out gunned I reserved everything else.

He boosted his bikes up to bait me into charge of his wyches... my archon took the challenge with the incubi, luckily I rolled poorly and the lone bike remained locking them in combat. In the following turn a full squad of wyches ran into them, and that combat remained until the top of the 5th turn, when 2 wyches walked out having finally killed the archon, his shadowfield held on for so many rounds of combat!

I was able to put a lot of pressure on him, but the highlight of the game was when I was able to get the jump on his ravagers with my ravagers.... six misses later... i had done nothing, in return, his ravagers blew mine up, this meant that he had shooting superiority. But eventually my crazy wyches were able to catch up to them with haywires and take them all down. My unit of jetbikes also boosted over the last scourge to take the token and then tied up a full 10 man wych squad until they actually won the combat! At the end of the game we were both battered... but I was able to win, turn 6 all he had left was one lone wych hex with an agon, and I was in control of both objectives.

What a fun game.

Tactical Analysis:
    The archon did well
    The jetbikes and wyches really shined this game, the pain tokens from the heamies are proving to be must takes... it makes the wyches become all the better at surviving.
    Fighting against Night shields is annoying.

Cheers!

Veteran-Sergeant

So. Game 3, against the Imperiums Grindhouse. Mech IG.
    Dawn of War, one objective each.
    His List:
    Senior officer- 4 MG in Chimera
    2 Vet Squads - 3 MG in Chimeras
    2 30 Man Blobs with PW's and Commissars, one group with lascannons one with autocannons.
    2 Vendettas each with a platoon command 4 Flamers
    Psyker Battle Squad (8 strong) in Chimera
    Manticore
    2 Hydras
    Total- 1850
    I was terrified of the hydra and the vendettas, but this is def one of the hardest matchups for the Dark Kin, so I was up for a good game!
    I took my regular 1850list.
    He took turn 1, and I reserved my entire army. So he had turn 1 and turn 2 to shoot at nothing while he got into position, and get into position he did (note: one of the objectives is in the cathedral the other bottom right next to crater surrounded by 30 men)

So, my turn 2. Only a ravager and the jetbikes arrived together with the raider with 10 warriors, they deployed and engaged the chimera in the ruins, the bikes stunned the PBS chimera and the ravager failed to do any damage to one of the valks (just shaking it). The razorwing on the other hand, had a bead on the 30 man lascannon blob out in the open from his vantage point, and blasted them until only 1 lascannon and a few infantry were left.

His turn 3 saw swift retaliation, with the bikes biting the dust, and the ravager dying.

On my turn 3 most of my reserved showed up, and they engaged the enemy full force, the wyches charged tanks and failed to kill them but made them block beads to them for firing. the Razorwing continued its rampage on the infantry after the first volley. The highlight of this turn was that every shot against the hydras bounced off... I was able to shake one. As well as immobilize the PBS chimera and take off some of its guns. The vendettas were untouched.

Veteran-Sergeant

His turn 4 sees my other ravager and the raiders taken out... as well as the warriors and wyches taking casualties.

In my turn 4 I retaliate by assaulting with my wyches into hydras, chimeras and the blob squad his one vet squad annihilated my Incubi and the archon goes on a rampage to take out valks (but misses with his grenades)

The turn 5, he has to try and contest the cathedral... valk flies in and drops the command squad ready to flame the warrior unit, killing 7 outa 10 the blaster lives and does not flee.

He also brings out the PBS to make my warriors unit flee. I had to bring the heamies up to the cathedral to flame the occupants... the wyches pull his squad off the objective while my wracks make it up towards his objective and assault the contesting hydras... still unable to touch them. I knock out the valk and contest the central objective.

Roll....

Turn 6!

He has to move the last vendetta to the objective as well... also shoots as much as he can on the razorwing and I make all saves...

So we continue the combat, wyches vs blob and nothing happens... the objectives are contested... and the game is a -Draw-

Tactical Notes:
    - Having even 3 wyches with FNP holding up a blob squad was awesome.
    - The razorwing volley is amazing if you can catch a unit like Guardsmen in the open.
    - I had to be very agressive once my shooting was innefective, keep a cool head and just rush. Smartly, but rush nonetheless.

Cheers!
    (still to come: vs SW, SW, Crons and Crons)

Veteran-Sergeant

Ok so a bit of a delay on the games so far.
    Here are some pics from a game vs SW that I lost, kill points. I decided to reserve everything and take him out that way... but I had no clue that each of his ranged shots would fire true and take out a tank, so I quickly fell behind. Although I began to claw my way back towards the end of the game, I was unable to table his 8 KP and I lost 8 KP to 7.
    Tactical notes:
    The Archons shadowfield held up all the thunderwolves! He made over 25 shadowfield saves; Sometimes you just can't fail that 2++

Veteran-Sergeant

And there you have it. A defeat. On another note, I did have a rematch against this same list right after this game. The mission favoured the DE a bit better, Dawn of War and multiple objectives. Tabled by turn 4.

Veteran-Sergeant

So, right after the last game (game 4 of the series) I decided to have at it once again. The kabal had almost succeeded given the bad mission and lack of cover and ff saves, almost clawed its way back to a victory... only to be taken away at the last moment.

We re-set the table and rolled for mission once more. This time, with multiple objectives and a dawn of war deployment I felt a lot more confident.

We rolled off, and my opponent smartly gave me first turn. I deployed a raider with wyches and a heamy up on my half way line. He deployed 2 units of Grey hunters and Nijal on the table... I don't know if he knew... but this meant that my wyches were getting a first turn charge on Nijal and his unit.
    Of course I brought my army in (except for the razorwing) on turn 1... and put the pressure on. My wyches bounced from the combat... but did put a wound on the caster and forced the unit to "pop" its banner.
    He then moved up and proceeded to wreck the wych raider and get into better positions with his units. The Heamonculus was unharmed!

The game went rather quickly. I focused on Nijal's squad to take them out as well as the one unit of longfangs towards the center. The Incubi and archon went after another GH squad and eliminated it to a man. The warrior unit got onto the landing pad, and safely from the second level (from the thunderwolves) began to whittle down the enemy forces.
    His turn saw his one remaining long fang pack do little damage, the Twolves charge into the incubi, once again my archon tied them up in combat...

This meant that I was unable to fire onto the unit. My reaver jetbikes bladevaned the other unit of longfangs to death (what a roll) and I focussed on the third and last GH squad with the other runepriest. My vehicles then formed a circle around the thunderwolves who promptly killed the archon.

He charged vehicles and failed to do any damage...
    In my return fire, I manage to take out all the Twolves... the lord is left alive... but with that, he ceded the game.

Fast, brutal... the best way to play DE.

Tactical Notes:
    Dawn of war and multiple objectives really helps the DE, we get to move fast onto the table, have night vision and can get last grabs onto objectives. His army was on foot and none of his units ever ventured further than 12" from his table edge.
    He did make a huge mistake by placing his main caster so close to my army... for a first turn charge, this could have been devastating... as I was on him turn 2 he did not really have enough time to react and I was able to pull ahead steadily.

Stay tuned for games 6,7 and 8!

Cheers

Veteran-Sergeant

Games 6,7 and 8 were all against necrons, so we shall call them 6.1 6.2 and 6.3. (As I want to get as many games in as possible with as many different opponents and these games have a great deal of overlap for a few reasons:
    - Same armies for both sides all three games.
    - Same opponent for all three games.
    - Same table for all three games (we changed the terrain up for the third game).

So, on to the necron list. Now it is interesting to note that he has zero tanks.
    Nemesor + Obyron (love this combo)
    Destroyer lord

5 Cryptecs with S8 ap2 assault 36" guns, one with the solar pulse, one with the gaze of flame.
    1 Lord with a PW, weave and resorb (in the liche guard)

6 Lyche Guard with shields and power weapons

5 Squads of 5 necron warriors.

6 Wraiths (couple of particle casters, couple of lashwips)
    8 Scarabs
    8 Scarabs

So, a lot of one off shots with some very decent cc in the list. (he has, since our last 3 games) tweaked this list to be even more focused on its general purpose. But I digress.

First mission was victory points with objectives as a secondary, and dawn of war. He went first, and decided to deploy nemesor with a squad of warriors in a building in the middle of the table. I reserved everything.
    He spent the first couple of turns moving into position:

He his third turn saw him prepare for the inevitable arrival of greater of my forces:

My third turn saw almost my entire army arrive, it was such an effective turn that I wiped out all the wraiths and lord, a whole unit of scarabs, and depleted some of the warrior units. I was also in a great position for the remainder of the game:

After the alfa strike... my opponent was so demoralized that the towel was thrown in. We reset the table and went for another game!
    Victory for the DE:
    Tactical Notes from game 6.1:
    - When the alfa strike works, it works very, very well.
    - This did not really showcase either of our armies... but did show that with a bit of luck a DE shooting phase can be brutal.

Next game 6.2 the rematch .
    Cheers!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast