BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chapter-Master

Default 1500 Point Space Marine Tournament List

aka Not another Dreadnought Drop Pod list!

Well, once again I'm entering my Drop-Dreds into another tournament. This time I'm not allowed my FW goodies, or even any special characters. Basicly everything has to be from the most basic version of the relevant Codex.

So here goes; 1500 Point Drop Dreds, v.27.6.58

HQ
    Master of the Forge; 105 Points
    • Artificer Armour
    • Servo-harness
    • Frag and Krak Grenades
    • Storm Bolter

Troops
    Tactical Squad; 210 Points
    • Space Marine Sergeant, Meltabombs, Bolt Pistol and CCW
    • 7 Space Marines, Boltguns and Bolt Pistols
    • Space Marine, Flamer and Bolt Pistol
    • Space Marine, Missile Launcher and Bolt Pistol
    • Rhino

Tactical Squad; 162 Points
    • Space Marine Sergeant, Meltabombs, Bolt Pistol and Combi-Flamer
    • 6 Space Marines, Boltguns and Bolt Pistols
    • Rhino

Elites
    Venerable Dreadnought; 200 points
    • Twin-Linked Heavy Flamer
    • DCCW with in-built Storm Bolter
    • Drop Pod with Storm Bolter

Venerable Dreadnought; 205 points
    • Twin-linked Lascannon
    • DCCW with in-built Heavy Flamer

Venerable Dreadnought; 175 Points
    • Assault Cannon

Heavy Support
    Venerable Dreadnought; 210 points
    • Multimelta
    • DCCW with in-built Heavy Flamer
    • Drop Pod with Storm Bolter

Dreadnought; 105 points
    • Multimelta

Dreadnought; 125 points
    • 2 Twin-linked Autocannon

Total points; 1497

For those of you who remember (or have looked back at my older threads) I've dropped the extra Tactical/Combat Squad and the Lucius Drop Pod I can't use this time round. My Chaplain Dreadnought has also had to become a normal Venerable Dreadnought and the Plasma Gun and Plasma Cannon weilding Marines in the second Tactical squad have been killed off.

Main battle plan will be to drop the Multi-Metla Ven. Dred in behind mechanised forces or the Flamer Ven. Dred near infantry that have to die, walking remaining Dreadnoughts across the board, accompanied by the Master of the Forge. Smaller Tactical Squad move forward in support and to take objectives.
    Always thinking 2 projects ahead of anything I've yet to finish
    http://instinctuimperator.blogspot.co.uk/

For all those points You've spent on Venerable I would take more troops. Is all about counters these days...

Banned

Consider rotating the small tactical squad out for some scouts. You could afford two sets of 5 and throw a missile launcher on one for camping home objectives. Scouts are no real replacement for tactical marines, but it would make you list much more flexible in objective games.

Also, I hate to see the venerable dreadnought's BS 5 being wasted on a twin-linked heavy flamer. Maybe Demote him to regular dreadnought and spend the saved points replacing his storm bolter with a 2nd heavy flamer?
    Last edited by Rapture; 03-06-2012 at 08:00 AM.

This is bad, but I expect you know this already.

I would lose all of the venerable dread upgrades and get more troops. A unit of scouts would really help you idf you are playing objective based scenarios. I'd also try to get the Motf actually to achieve something, so put him on a bike and/or give him a conversion beamer. This way he can both blow stuff up and/or get to dreads he needs to fix.

I wouldn't split up your force in the way you have as you have nothing fast to support the dreads in drop pods, so I'd be inclined to either (a) give them all drop pods, including your troops (expensive) or (b) give none of them drop pods apart from possibly an expendable dread with only a multi melta.

Since you're walking the remaining dreads across the board why not make the three of them Ironclads? Give them hunter killers and pop smoke, run afterwards until you're within heavy flamer/melta range. One of those will only cost you 165pts a piece and changing the Melta to another HF is only an extra 5pts.

Agreed with Vashtek, seriously consider Motf with a bike and conversion beamer, lots of fun to be had with that. The downgrade from venerable saves you 60pts each time as well, is it really worth the 1WS/BS to you?

Scout

I wonder if it wouldn't hurt to add a third drop pod to the list in addition to dropping the venerable status. With 3 pods, you would get 2 to drop first turn, applying more pressure to your opponent. If you're facing mech-heavy, two MM dreads could do some damage and focus fire off of the units moving forward. Foot sloggers could take a heavy flamer to the face. Or drop two empty pods to block moving/firing lanes and shunt the enemy into your concentrated fire.

I love the idea of 6 metal beasts slugging it out with the enemy. Let me know how you make out in the tourney!

Veteran-Sergeant

This looks like it would suck to play against.