BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Nope, and she doesn't look like me much on the first cover either, different nose. I do like ferocious Ulrika also, though less keen on her new more masculine hairstyle. Of course now that I like the character so much I'm really worried they will go killing her off (again technically) after a few books. I am overprotective of GW female protagonists as they are so few in number.
    I wouldn't worry about them killing her off as she is apparently very popular and also she reappears in the Gotrek & Felix novels later on. The entire Ulrika trilogy takes place between the end of Vampireslayer and the start of Manslayer in that 20ish year period where G&F are off around the world seeking something... anything... that is actually capable of killing the Slayer. During this period they apparently visit Araby, the Southlands, Lustria, Cathay, the Ogre Kingdoms and Ind too before returning to the Old World in Orcslayer. I believe some of the stories in the upcoming Anthology will be set during these travels.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

That is good to know.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Oh, and as an unrelated side note, in the vast majority of folklore, vampires are unaffected by sunlight. The whole vampires dying in the sun was codified by the 1926 film "Nosferatu". This, ironically, makes "Twilight" more accurate than many other vampire stories. Just a shame it promotes abusive boyfriends...
    Just thought I'd back this up... not the twilight thing... but in Bram Stoker's Dracula (OK I fess up, I've not read it, but have seen the Francis Ford Coppola film...) it's mentioned that Vampires can roam around during the day, but they're 'low powered'. So every time your single empire foot soldier manages to kill a vampire lord... yeah that was during the day.
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"

Funnily enough this point is addressed directly in the Vampire section of the bestiary in the new Army Book (having a GW staff member have a crush on you pays off, got an army book and Coven Throne yesterday):
    Glad to see you're using your powers for good there, Eldargal

I <3 Ulrika:
    Scary thing is, she looks just like me. Not that you can tell from my awful Avatar picture(edit: changed that hehe Edit: changed it back). Same nose, same shaped face, same bone structure, same mouth, same shade of lipstick, same figure more or less.
    Sounds like it's BOLS cosplay time!

Y'know, I read Dracula ages ago (about 15 years I think) and there is no real suggestion that sunlight kills or hurts vamps. They (normally) sleep during the day, certainly, but that's all that's stated for certain, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    Y'know, I read Dracula ages ago (about 15 years I think) and there is no real suggestion that sunlight kills or hurts vamps. They (normally) sleep during the day, certainly, but that's all that's stated for certain, iirc.
    Yeah I thought so. Thing is every piece of vampire fiction takes what it wants to, and obviously with films it'll depend on their budget. For example not having a reflection in a mirror, I've seen examples (although I can't for the life of my remember which) where the vampires have reflections but that's mainly because it's hard enough doing the trick photography so that the cameraman isn't in there, let along then CGing the vamps out.

So, as much as we all deride the Twilight glitter vampire thing, Stephanie Meyer just took the myth and put her own spin on it. Same as Stoker realised he would need Dracula wandering about in the day and added the 'low powered' tag on it, and Anne Rice ignoring pretty much every weakness of vampires except for blood drinking and sunlight.

On a side note, one of the best explanations for why Dracula has the weaknesses he does was in the film Dracula 2000. It has one of the best premises for a vampire backstory that I've seen to date, although in my opinion it wasn't executed so well. I would say it's worth watching just for the story twist, rather than reading spoilers about it. Plus it's got Gerard Butler and Nathan Fillion in it, which is win.
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"

Hey yall I had a questions that seemed relevant to this;

Are all the WHFB Vampires evil? In the 3ed book it talked about Blood Dragons like they were basically knights-errant; not really good, but not evil. In the 4ed book it talked about a Strigos Vampire who took care of his land and people...in one instance defeating an Orc raiding party to protect one of his towns.
    However, in the 5ed book all the Vampires it mentions are dicks. Evil dicks. Mannfred got his evilness turned up to eleven, and even Vlad and Isabella are painted as being pretty dickish.

My question being; Are there any not-evil Vampires left?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Heatray View Post
    Hey yall I had a questions that seemed relevant to this;

Are all the WHFB Vampires evil? In the 3ed book it talked about Blood Dragons like they were basically knights-errant; not really good, but not evil. In the 4ed book it talked about a Strigos Vampire who took care of his land and people...in one instance defeating an Orc raiding party to protect one of his towns.
    However, in the 5ed book all the Vampires it mentions are dicks. Evil dicks. Mannfred got his evilness turned up to eleven, and even Vlad and Isabella are painted as being pretty dickish.

As far as I know, Ulrika (sp) isn't terribly evil. But, eldargal can answer that better than I, since they're apparently twins.
    There is one direction: FORWARD!

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Heatray View Post

If you get a chance, read the WFB Vampire wars trilogy, there is this fellow. He tries to fight his vampiric nature and is a "good" vamp in my books.

Pulled from Wikipedia
    Jerek von Carstein Sired by Vlad in Inheritance, he is the last Vampire created by Vlad before his demise. Once Jerek Kruger, a noble and proud man who served as Grand Master of the Knights of the White Wolf, he once slew Vlad in combat, only for Vlad to rise again and claim vengeance a year later. Atop a temple spire in Middenheim, he and Vlad dueled again, resulting in Jerek Kruger becoming Jerek von Carstein, the youngest of Vlad's twisted mockery of family.
    While Vampirisim turned Konrad into a beast who kills for blood, Jerek maintained his once-honourable heart. When Pieter leads an assault upon Nuln, Jerek quickly resents his 'brother' labelling him a monster after witnessing his acts of wanton slaughter. Jerek gleaned useful information from one of Konrad's pet Necromancers however, learning the secret of Vlad's immortality: his signet ring. Jerek resolved to find and destroy it, travelling to Altdorf and even exhuming the bodies of Wilhelm and Vlad. He did not find the ring and despaired: the thief who took the ring was lost to him, and all he could do was hope that it would remain lost.
    Losing his will to fight, disgusted by his own brethren, Jerek considered himself as neither human nor Vampire but torn between the two. He claimed Konrad was beyond help and that his kingdom would be the same as Vlad's - carrion birds fighting for scraps. Jerek was not killed as Konrad believed, and returned at the Battle of Grim Moor, where he aided in the human victory. He continued to thwart the Von Carstein line, thwarting Mannfred's alliances and continually seeking the cursed Carstein ring. At Hel Fenn he tore off Mannfred's left hand, which bore the Carstein Ring, leaving him easy prey for Martin of Stirland. Jerek took the Von Carstein Ring with him, and was sealed up with it in an unknown location by Kallad, the ring's guardian for all eternity. As Kallad bricked Jerek Kruger up in the darkness, he acknowledged that the creature before him was a man and not an undead beast, remarking on Jerek's incredible humanity even after losing his soul. Presumably the Von Carstein Ring remains lost to this day.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mazelf View Post
    actually, GW vamps sparkle when they go out in the sun and they dont usually go out on campaign because they are too busy falling madly in love with teenage girls from Talabenheim

But will they blend?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sparkly.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	3542

Apparently so...

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

It's actually a complicated question. There are vampires that may be considered good in the sense that they try and minimise the harm they do. Ulrika and Genevieve or example, though Ulrika slips rather spectacularly in her third novel. The Lahmians in general feed from willing thralls and try not to kill simply because missing people and corpses with neck bites raises a lot of questions. But at the same time they view humans pretty much as cattle.

It is very much shades of grey (the good kind), many vampires are downright evil, others less so because it is in their self interest to be somewhat benevolent (the 'good' vampire aristocrat for example). One or two (like Genevieve) may be considered genuinely good.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123