BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Brother-Captain

Default But... They're Vampires

I have some questions about WFB vampires:

1) Presumably, most Warhammer battles happen during the day. What keeps the Vampire Counts from bursting into flame?
    2) If the VC's can only fight at night, how do they ever go on extended campaigns?
    3) Traditional vampires are virtually indestructible unless you attack one of their vulnerabilities (fire, sunlight, stake through the heart, decapitation). How does GW account for this? Is it assumed that the opponent's entire army is carrying anti-vampire weaponry?

I'm not making fun of the Vampire Counts; I actually think they're pretty cool. But I'm left scratching my head about these questions.
    Last edited by Rissan4ever; 01-10-2012 at 10:00 PM.

actually, GW vamps sparkle when they go out in the sun and they dont usually go out on campaign because they are too busy falling madly in love with teenage girls from Talabenheim

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by mazelf View Post
    actually, gw vamps sparkle when they go out in the sun and they dont usually go out on campaign because they are too busy falling madly in love with teenage girls from talabenheim
    rofl
    Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill, however nothing beats rolling all sixes.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mazelf View Post
    actually, GW vamps sparkle when they go out in the sun and they dont usually go out on campaign because they are too busy falling madly in love with teenage girls from Talabenheim
    LOL! That answers my questions nicely. Thanks.

1) Who says they don't fight at night? Empire men and whatnot might need sleep but vampries and undead don't, I bet they attack at night to maximise their advantage. Failing that, parasols, clouds of bats blocking hte sun, magic clouds etc.
    2) See above
    3) Vampires are hard to kill on the battlefield, I assume this reflects the difficult in decapitating a preternaturally vast barsud/ho trying to rib your genitals off. Even then permanent death is more difficult, they can be resurrected if their follows get their body/ashes/bits of. Vlad von Carstein died a hell of a lot in his campaign, for lulz, and came back the next day and the people that killed him turned up dead.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Librarian

Agreed with Eldargal, Plus you don't have an army of vampires like in Underworld, you have a zombie army led by vampires.

First-Captain

Firstly who says they follow traditional vampire lore??
    Secondly novels ive read show vampire either being at night, or creating darkness.
    Secondly their troops can attack in day anyway so yes they can go on extended campaigns while they are in their carts.
    And as i say since they may not follow traditional lore they may or may not have certain difficulties
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    1) Who says they don't fight at night? Empire men and whatnot might need sleep but vampries and undead don't, I bet they attack at night to maximise their advantage. Failing that, parasols, clouds of bats blocking hte sun, magic clouds etc.
    2) See above
    3) Vampires are hard to kill on the battlefield, I assume this reflects the difficult in decapitating a preternaturally vast barsud/ho trying to rib your genitals off. Even then permanent death is more difficult, they can be resurrected if their follows get their body/ashes/bits of. Vlad von Carstein died a hell of a lot in his campaign, for lulz, and came back the next day and the people that killed him turned up dead.
    The BL book Runefang mentions them creating darkness and Nagash does something similar with beetles in the first Nagash book. As I understand it, the standard killing methods of fire, decapitation and stakes are recommended by the church of Sigmar. As for Vald, he kept coming back because of a magic ring, rather than normal vampire abilities. He was finally killed off after the greatest thief in the old world was paid to sneak into his camp during the day and nick the ring whilst Vald rested in his coffin. Even then, it took the Grand Theogonist chucking himself and Vlad off the walls of Altdorf onto lots of spikes to finish him once and for all.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Battle-Brother

Sunblock SPF-nucleur block.Its all the rave around the covens.

Librarian

Allow me to present the 1st Law of Games Workshop gaming.

[url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool[/url]

And it's corollary, the 2nd Law of Games Workshop gaming.

[url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MST3KMantra[/url]

That is all.

Why don't they catch fire in the sun? No reason is necessary. They just don't. they're on the battlefield in the day because it's cool; here endeth the discussion.
    How do they ever go on extended campaigns? No reason is necessary. They just don't. they're on the battlefield in the day because it's cool; here endeth the discussion.

Why does anything happen in 40K/WHFB? Because it's awesome.

Now, what you've experienced is called Fridge Logic.

[url]http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeLogic[/url]

This has happened because 40K and WHFB and utterly motherfrakking bonkers. Seriously, they are nonsense of the highest order. Chainsaw swords? What about kickback? Massive things on top of helmets? Why would they willing wear a lever that an enemy could use to break their neck? Bio-titans and giants? What about the square-cube law? Steam-powered horses? How do the legs adjust for rough terrain without a central computer to handle all the gyroscopic information? And so on. If you want to nitpick over the stuff that makes no sense, then my friend, you'll be a while...

Oh, and as an unrelated side note, in the vast majority of folklore, vampires are unaffected by sunlight. The whole vampires dying in the sun was codified by the 1926 film "Nosferatu". This, ironically, makes "Twilight" more accurate than many other vampire stories. Just a shame it promotes abusive boyfriends...
    Last edited by MaltonNecromancer; 01-11-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast