BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Brother-Sergeant

The 7th ed VC codex covered the sunlight question fairly well. To quote, "One source of debate is how sensitive a Vampire is to sunlight. In truth, this varies with age and lineage. The sun weakens them, and may even kill lesser Vampires. The greatest Vampires can move abroad during daylight, though they do not favor it. To achieve its full power, such as in battle, a Vampire summons dark clouds to swathe the sky and swarms of bats to obsucre sunlight."

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by MaltonNecromancer View Post
    Oh, and as an unrelated side note, in the vast majority of folklore, vampires are unaffected by sunlight. The whole vampires dying in the sun was codified by the 1926 film "Nosferatu". This, ironically, makes "Twilight" more accurate than many other vampire stories. Just a shame it promotes abusive boyfriends...
    That made me laugh but end up with a bitter feeling in my stomach

Funnily enough this point is addressed directly in the Vampire section of the bestiary in the new Army Book (having a GW staff member have a crush on you pays off, got an army book and Coven Throne yesterday):
    Ever since Nagash cursed their kind centuries ago, Vampires have have loathed the sun for it weakens them. Thus, when they march to war the sky darkens as the Vampires summon great storm clouds and swarms of bats to blot out the hated daylight.
    The exact of effect of the sun varies, in the superb Ulrika the Vampire novel 'Bloodborn' I've just finished, slight exposure results in blisters and burning while full exposure kills them.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Thanks for clearing that up, Eldargal. I thought it would be something like that. IF I ever get into WFB (which is unlikely, given its distinct lack of both radios and lasers), the goth-boy teenager who still resides somewhere in the back of my mid-30's brain won't be able to resist the allure of the fanged masters of undeath.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Funnily enough this point is addressed directly in the Vampire section of the bestiary in the new Army Book (having a GW staff member have a crush on you pays off, got an army book and Coven Throne yesterday):

The exact of effect of the sun varies, in the superb Ulrika the Vampire novel 'Bloodborn' I've just finished, slight exposure results in blisters and burning while full exposure kills them.
    Is Ulrika a character in the VC book?!?!

www.queencityguard.com

I wish. Nope, she is just in Bloodsborn and Bloodforged (which I have not read yet). Oh and a third book, Bloodsworn is due out next June, yay!

I <3 Ulrika:

Scary thing is, she looks just like me. Not that you can tell from my awful Avatar picture(edit: changed that hehe Edit: changed it back). Same nose, same shaped face, same bone structure, same mouth, same shade of lipstick, same figure more or less.
    Last edited by eldargal; 01-15-2012 at 12:49 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Your going to get that outfit now aren't you eldargirl lol

Yes sir.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Scary thing is, she looks just like me. Not that you can tell from my awful Avatar picture(edit: changed that hehe Edit: changed it back). Same nose, same shaped face, same bone structure, same mouth, same shade of lipstick, same figure more or less.
    Does she look so much like you in this one :

Very much liking the ferocious Ulrika on the cover of the third book.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Nope, and she doesn't look like me much on the first cover either, different nose. I do like ferocious Ulrika also, though less keen on her new more masculine hairstyle. Of course now that I like the character so much I'm really worried they will go killing her off (again technically) after a few books. I am overprotective of GW female protagonists as they are so few in number.

Here is teh blurblet for Bloodsworn too:
    Returning to Nuln after her adventures in Praag, Ulrika finds the Lahmian vampires preparing for war. Across the Old World, their rivals, the sinister von Carsteins, attack their strongholds and lead the witch hunters to their hidden lairs. Spurned by her sisters, Ulrika forms an uneasy alliance with the von Carsteins in a plot to destabilise the Empire by striking at its very heart – they plan nothing less than the assassination of Emperor Karl Franz. With enemies on all sides and the Empire in flames, Ulrika must decide whether her future will see her living among the humans, or as their enemy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast