BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Just to be absolutely clear - I'm not confident in its legitimacy because I *want* them to be true - its because I got my information on its legitimacy from a source that I trust more than 100%

nonsensical formatting
    I thought the same thing initially. Set Acrobat pro to view 2-up and it all of a sudden looks like a professional document except for the minor typos which are more than excusable given the date of its "publication" and where the rules would be in the development cycle.

Brother-Captain

What about the timestamp on this document?
    It's May of last year.

I'd say it's pretty certain the document is legit, given that it mentions things by name such as the Catacomb Command Barge.

It also mentions weapons like the Zeal Bolt Pistol for (presumably) BT, which is one of the codices rumoured to be in the very near future.

Combined with everything else...the correct fonts, the formatting...I think this looks like the real deal.

If it were a hoax, I don't think people quite understand how vast an undertaking this would be...
    I've worked in the development of 8 or so games at a professional capacity and a design document/rule set like this isn't something that's easy to accomplish.
    Last edited by Kawauso; 01-19-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chapter-Master

It also signals "rail" out as a weapons profile, like "Lance". And in the current books, only Tau have Rail guns and its not listed in the same way.

Edit - Updated

Taken from [URL="http://natfka.blogspot.com/2012/01/6th-edition-leak-source-found.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&u tm_campaign=Feed%3A+Faeit212+%28Faeit+212%29"]Natfka at Faeit 212[/URL]

Apparently someone has claimed on 4chan that the leak is actually their gameclub's homebrew rules, which a member gave a 'GW' look to. Must have plenty of time on their hands!

There's even a report that the person who made it recently got in touch with GW Legal to see if there was any liability on their part. The guys from GW informed him that as it wasn't an official GW product he was fine!

If this is true I'd hate to be those people who, thinking it was the new 6th Ed., had started buying units for armies to use with these rules.
    So someones come out of the woodwork claiming its theres. Was only a matter of time.

And it really proves nothing. Anyone posting on 4chan is probably a troll....
    Last edited by DrLove42; 01-19-2012 at 10:37 AM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Veteran-Sergeant

Someone on another board with contacts at GW (he's been quite reliable in the past) said he's seen 6th edition and this isn't it but the "fingerprints" are there, which has me leaning towards this was a test copy and not the final product. I'm personally waiting till I have the rules in a hardback form before I start learning a new system.

Brother-Captain

Well of course it wouldn't be the final form if the timestamp is anything to go by.

And I'm not sure I believe the random 4chan claim...because, again, of the timestamp and the explicit mention of the Catacomb Command Barge.

But I too am going to hold off learning a new rule system until an actual 6th edition book is out.
    Armies Played (in order of acquisition)
    Crons, SW, SM, Tau, 1k Sons, IG, Nids, BA, DE

Chapter-Master

Here's a thought that just ocured to me. Assuming this is genuine, why would GW not admit it? Think about it. When 6th ed rolls up, we'll all know one way or the other. If this turns out to be legit, GW look pretty damn stupid for not admitting it. If they have a rogue employee they can't control, they should go into full damage control now to reasure shareholders. If it has been deliberately leaked, people will be saying - 'we know you leaked that, why didn't you say so at the time, you just shamelessly (and rather cack handedly) used it to generate hype'. Either way, GW comes out of it looking like a company that doesn't know what it is doing, which I just can't see given how much they have done to shape up over the last couple of years.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

One, because GW has explicitly denied things like this in the past when they were true, and two, because of the whole Hobbit thing. If they really are supposed to be keeping a tight lid on the Hobbit stuff, a major leak right now would do some serious damage. Their natural recourse is to deny it. Presuming this isn't the final document, there could be enough differences from the final 6th ed that their denial is plausible even if this is legitimate. So why would they admit it? They don't care much about looking stupid, just look around and see what most people already think of GW's business decisions.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Another reason GW will not admit to this, If true, is that someone new coming into the hobby, they don't want them to wait to buy the 6th edtion, they want them to buy NOW, so basically GW wants you to buy something that will be obosolete in a few months.

Hell I even saw GW try to sell something to someone when the sales person knew the codex was going to be obosolete soon but had to follow GW policy.

Heaven forbid treating your customers with respect. Just goes to show you that GW doesn't really care about vetrans just wants "fresh blood" in and out.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Since the release of these rumors i have to admit that my interests have risen. I, like a lot of you out there, have the entire rule-set printed and have started reading it over. I've watched the you-tube videos. I have jumped over all the web sites and combed over dozens of pages for opinions. Having seen this i would like to include my 2 cents, to a hobby i have recently been drifting away from. For starters i am a casual Warhammer 40K'er, i've got a few armies all in various sizes, a tonne of novels and a bookshelf full of codex's. So that is where i stand.

Opinions:

ON GW: i like all have you, have probably in the last week spent way too much time thinking about this leak. Let us be honest we ALL LOVE OUR HOBBY. GW is doing the only thing it can by denying this rumor. This is their only option. I know a lot of you think that if the rumor is real (i am one of them it's an early draft just like the 5th ed rumor was), that GW should admit it and come out into the light but they just can't.

1. GW has a timeline for them of what is coming out. Whether they care to include us in this process is another thing. Your talking to a guy that had his wife get him a 2 year subscription to White Dwarf last august and didn't receive my first issue til November. That is another story though.

For GW this "leak" must just be watched, just like they watched the 5th edition leak. That is all they can do. To admit to anything other than an all out denial would force GW to move ahead their timeline and i'm sure with the real 6th edition under 6 months out that's probably impossible to shift. Your talking about a codex, a sweet starter pack deal, a tonne of helpful accessories, and a new shiny collectors edition (drools). All of these things are somewhere between final check, quality control, or the printers. You also factor in to this that if they say it's real, then 5th IS DEAD AS A DOORNAIL, and they have nothing to fill the stores for for a day, a week, a month or months. If they were to admit that it was real, every minute they don't have 6th on shelves they are losing money.

2. The Hobbit has nothing to do with this denial. Absolutely nothing! GW isn't scared about the integrity of their licensing rights because:
    a: if it's a real GW leak, the people at the HOBBIT knew about the leak before it became a leak.
    b: this is some professional fake by the .0001% bracket and GW really is telling the truth that it is fake.
    c: Warhammer 40K is property of Games Workshop and they can do what they want with it. I seen nothing in the 'leaked' 6th edition that had anything to do with hobbits or Gandolf.
    d: If this was an unauthorized company leak than the person that did it has already been fired, if not buried in a deep hole. DO NOT think for 1 minute that if this came from the hallowed houses of GW that all those errors and spelling mistakes link this to an exact copy that one person has. Come on people GW might sound and look stupid sometimes but they aren't that dumb if this copy came from GW i'd bet all the gold in fort knox that they know exactly who's copy it was.

ON THE TOURNAMENT GROUP: I'd hate to be one of these guys, or maybe i'd love to be one of these guys i don't quite know where i stand. I say this with absolutely no insight, this is just a speculation. I would guess a lot of this group know's 5th edition forwards, backwards, and side ways. Having said that with tournament season around the corner. I would bet my golden land raider that almost each and every one of this crowd has a printed out copy and is studying it like a final if not having already began playing it. This "leaked" copy is like a cheat sheet for a final. You never know if it's the real thing but you know what it doesn't hurt to learn this copy inside out, forwards and backwards. If this 'leak' is the real thing or a close proximity than your gonna be ahead of the curve, and in a competition environment you definitely can't be behind.

To all the rest of us: IT IS FREAKING AWESOME. PERIOD. END OF STORY. I don't know about the rest of you but this "leak" has got me painting models, building armies, and reading. Thank you whoever released this because i'm falling back into this pit of a game that i love and i like feeling dirty about it. LOL.

Question about the rule set. There is no place anywhere in it that lists the tiers of Eternal Warrior Special Characters and their ranks is there? The following is a small list of what i could find through all the books that i have. As it stand's in the 6th FAQ i can find nothing on any of these characters being anything other than Eternal Warrior 1. I would like to know if any of you think that they should be anything besides that. I hope to hear some opinions on this area.
    Marneus Calgar (i think 2)
    Lysander
    Draigo (i think 2)
    Yarrick
    Dazhar
    Logan Grimnar
    The Sanguinor
    Pheonix Lords (i think 3)

I hope to hear back from all of you and i hope you enjoy my insight on the 6th edition leak as i have enjoyed reading your comments.

TTFN
    Last edited by Aervyper; 01-20-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Well the big formatting problem I have is special rules. Instead of turning to a specific page to see what a fast skimmer or a tank does under the current layout I have to flick through 100 odd pages looking for nine special rules, some of which have tiers), which I then have to remember. That is no way to lay-out a rulebook for ease of use and it isn't something GW does in its rulebooks, or not for many years anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Just to be absolutely clear - I'm not confident in its legitimacy because I *want* them to be true - its because I got my information on its legitimacy from a source that I trust more than 100%

I thought the same thing initially. Set Acrobat pro to view 2-up and it all of a sudden looks like a professional document except for the minor typos which are more than excusable given the date of its "publication" and where the rules would be in the development cycle.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast