BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Well the big formatting problem I have is special rules. Instead of turning to a specific page to see what a fast skimmer or a tank does under the current layout I have to flick through 100 odd pages looking for nine special rules, some of which have tiers), which I then have to remember. That is no way to lay-out a rulebook for ease of use and it isn't something GW does in its rulebooks, or not for many years anyway.
    That's something they'll almsot certainly sort out for release.

@Aervyper: I concur; this is GW's only possible response. We shouldn't read much into it.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    Another reason GW will not admit to this, If true, is that someone new coming into the hobby, they don't want them to wait to buy the 6th edtion, they want them to buy NOW, so basically GW wants you to buy something that will be obosolete in a few months.

Hell I even saw GW try to sell something to someone when the sales person knew the codex was going to be obosolete soon but had to follow GW policy.

Heaven forbid treating your customers with respect. Just goes to show you that GW doesn't really care about vetrans just wants "fresh blood" in and out.
    When I started playing I started around the end of 3rd and do you know wat the GW staff sed when I tried to buy certain things? he told me straight up that he reckons I should w8 since the next edition is coming in a few months. I said thanks but since I wanted to play during those months I still needed to buy that stuff now.

Also since when does this show they dnt care about vets?
    So VETS night held by every GW store shows they dnt care about VETS?
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

Well the big formatting problem I have is special rules. Instead of turning to a specific page to see what a fast skimmer or a tank does under the current layout I have to flick through 100 odd pages looking for nine special rules, some of which have tiers), which I then have to remember. That is no way to lay-out a rulebook for ease of use and it isn't something GW does in its rulebooks, or not for many years anyway.
    So?

Instead of fast skimmer being its own special rule that needs its own explanation, its a collection of existing special rules that are clearly, explicitly defined. Once you learn what these rules are - its really simple.

As it stands now everything you need to know about fast skimmers is spread over pages 70-71 in the BRB, I don't see how anyone can possibly think forcing people to check nine rules on eight pages sspread accross one hundred more is an improvement. People whine constantly about 40k being convoluted and needing to check things in books enough as it is, this would only make it worse. It is also amateurish and inefficient. If you must give units seperate USRs, put all the USRs together in one section. Otherwise give all the information a unit needs on one or two pages close together.

Things like this can really damage rulesets, Dystopian Wars hasn't taken off in the way it should because hte ruleset isn't that well set out and rules are spread out or not in the obvious section. For the industry flagship game to suffer from such poor set-up would be inexcusable.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Quote Originally Posted by Aervyper View Post

Question about the rule set. There is no place anywhere in it that lists the tiers of Eternal Warrior Special Characters and their ranks is there? The following is a small list of what i could find through all the books that i have. As it stand's in the 6th FAQ i can find nothing on any of these characters being anything other than Eternal Warrior 1. I would like to know if any of you think that they should be anything besides that. I hope to hear some opinions on this area.
    Marneus Calgar (i think 2)
    Lysander
    Draigo (i think 2)
    Yarrick
    Dazhar
    Logan Grimnar
    The Sanguinor
    Pheonix Lords (i think 3)
    Unless it's explicitly stated otherwise in their codex update it's Eternal Warrior 1.

Chapter-Master

As it stands now everything you need to know about fast skimmers is spread over pages 70-71 in the BRB, I don't see how anyone can possibly think forcing people to check nine rules on eight pages sspread accross one hundred more is an improvement. People whine constantly about 40k being convoluted and needing to check things in books enough as it is, this would only make it worse. It is also amateurish and inefficient. If you must give units seperate USRs, put all the USRs together in one section. Otherwise give all the information a unit needs on one or two pages close together.

Things like this can really damage rulesets, Dystopian Wars hasn't taken off in the way it should because hte ruleset isn't that well set out and rules are spread out or not in the obvious section. For the industry flagship game to suffer from such poor set-up would be inexcusable.
    All the rules for fast skimmers aren't in one place because the same rules elements for fast skimmers are used for other unit types too and reprinting them in different places is a faux-pas in document creation. It creates the possibility of having differences of wording within the same document (something that we've seen already from GW). Putting all the rules for fast skimmers under fast skimmers wouldn't make sense since those rules are shared by other units as well, such as jump infantry, aerial units, etc.

Plus, this isn't by any means "finished". The fact that some re-organization was done after this version is more than possible - its likely.

Saying that its "fake" because its not a finalized, ready for publication document is stupid since all indications are that this was an early early version of the book.

It seems that you're making up reasons to think that its false.

Unless it's explicitly stated otherwise in their codex update it's Eternal Warrior1.
    Fair enough point and you are correct. Why then have a tier system for Eternal Warrior? Your saying that in the future there's going to be even more powerful Special Characters, I highly doubt that. If you can't justify at least one of those special characters, especially phoenix warriors, to be above Eternal Warrior 1 then it seems stupid to include this rule if it is a fandex. This is one of the main reason that i think this is an early draft of the REAL 6th edition rule set. If this would be a fandex then they would have addressed at least one of these characters having something above Eternal Warrior 1. If your not making anything above the base than it's pointless to include it in the ruleset. It's not like your going to be publishing future fancodexs. I think that when this was printed it was before they tested it out. It's a small thing that would probably take a day to go through and examine and test. Do a quality control on it and add to the Ruleset. It's a small inclusion to the FAQ and probably would take a day or two of testing and maybe a 1/2 hour typing. So they wrote a 150 page rule set, a FAQ and then didn't include this minute detail. Seems fishy to me.

To the people out there that believe that this rule set is a total Fandex i hope that you are wrong. If this leak isn't close to or an early copy of the real 6th edition then GW is in a lot of trouble. GW would have to make 100% sure their 6th edition is better because you could have people leaving in droves. At the minimal worst i would think that if true then 6th edition will be pushed back months maybe until 2013. For all of us out there let's hope that the leak is a true rough draft of GW's 6th and enjoy testing it out before it becomes real. If it's a hoax then GW better stick more than their finger into the Dam to plug the water pouring out.

TTFN
    Last edited by Aervyper; 01-20-2012 at 10:51 AM.

As it stands now everything you need to know about fast skimmers is spread over pages 70-71 in the BRB, I don't see how anyone can possibly think forcing people to check nine rules on eight pages sspread accross one hundred more is an improvement.
    Actually, you need to reference to movement rules section to find the specifics regarding vehicle movement and terrain interactions, then you need the shooting rules RE: vehicles, etc. I went through and put together sheets for each unit in my Tau army that goes phase by phase with what the unit can do once special rules and interactions between special rules are taken into account. A bunch of the rules for fast skimmers are there, but a lot of rules get left by the wayside because they are a small aside in another section.

Quote Originally Posted by gcsmith View Post
    When I started playing I started around the end of 3rd and do you know wat the GW staff sed when I tried to buy certain things? he told me straight up that he reckons I should w8 since the next edition is coming in a few months. I said thanks but since I wanted to play during those months I still needed to buy that stuff now.

Also since when does this show they dnt care about vets?
    So VETS night held by every GW store shows they dnt care about VETS?
    3rd/4th edition was a different time period, where GW had a different philosphy how to sell games. It has changed in 4th/5th edition. I have read this alot on peoples comments on the interent, but it was backed up when going into GW stores, when I had them.

I even spoke to the workers and manager about this and they said, if people knew a new editon was coming (5th back then) they can't sell the stock they have now so they don't say it.

Another time, I was talking to a worker and as soon as some "fresh meat" came in they abrublty and went to them. Talk about being rude. I have seen it time and again, and I thought us Canadians were suppose to be polite. I guess that is what GW does to you LOL :P.

You can see in in WD magazines, and the web site. It's no longer for vetrans or even for people who are in the hobby for 6 months or more. No more articles about do things, or make things and no Official Forums. The WD magazine is basically one big advertising. No more Chapter Approved, no more tutorials on the Hobby.

So the WD and Web Site is just to buy buy buy. Rumour is, it's suppose to change, but after SoB have been released from what I herd (since I haven't bought a WD in about 5 years) that WD has gotten back to it's same old same old, just a big advertisement.

So maybe with 6th edtion about to kick off we will see if it is "vetran" friendly or not.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

You know ladies and gentleman I have read a lot of people saying how great these leaked rules are. I hate them. 5th edition is a pretty good edition. It needs some work but over all not bad. It is pretty simply to teach new players how to play and it runs pretty smooth and fast. I have played since 1988. I stopped playing in 2nd edition because of a horrible rule set (in my opinion). Got back into in 3rd and have played and run tournaments every since. I will probably stop playing if this leaked rules are the way the game is going to be played. It is one thing to change certain rules but another thing to change core mechanic of the game(Turn sequence). If GW adds to 5th edition and makes it better they are not going to be in trouble like I have read on some posts. Most gamers that I know love the game as is.

When Warmachine's rules are easier and runs smoother than 40k's (leaked rules) then GW has a problem. Just my two cents worth.
    Last edited by dawnofthedead; 01-20-2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: typo

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast