BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by dawnofthedead View Post
    You know ladies and gentleman I have read a lot of people saying how great these leaked rules are. I hate them. 5th edition is a pretty good edition. It needs some work but over all not bad. It is pretty simply to teach new players how to play and it runs pretty smooth and fast. I have played since 1988. I stopped playing in 2nd edition because of a horrible rule set (in my opinion). Got back into in 3rd and have played and run tournaments every since. I will probably stop playing if this leaked rules are the way the game is going to be played. It is one thing to change certain rules but another thing to change core mechanic of the game(Turn sequence). If GW adds to 5th edition and makes it better they are not going to be in trouble like I have read on some posts. Most gamers that I know love the game as is.

When Warmachine's rules are easier and runs smoother than 40k's (leaked rules) then GW has a problem. Just my two cents worth.
    Just a quick question,

Did you actually play using these "unsmooth" rules before you made seemingly unsubstantiated claims about how much trouble GW is in?

Go check out the poll on the Lounge thread. People there pretty much all love the new rules.

I call dibs on your stuff if you ragequit.

Chapter-Master

Right, if you actually look at how the rules work they're significantly smoother than current 40k, while reducing randomness and increasing tactical options. The only complaint, as Eldargal pointed out, is that the document itself is a little sloppily organized (though I'd argue that's par for the course for GW).

Think about this. Currently, if you want to move, run and assault say, an ork horde, you have to move all 180 models 3 times, and one of those moves requires a dice roll. More dice rolls are required if difficult terrain comes into play. No wonder horde armies like orks and nidz are notorious for slow play.

Under the 6th ed rules, however, you move once. No dice rolls, no waiting 'till the shooting or assault phases to complete the next part of your movement, no need to figure out what order you want to move everything in order to get your units into position without blocking each other three times per turn. You only move once, and aside from dangerous terrain there are absolutely no dice involved. You just move. Even difficult terrain is simplified now, as all it does is prevent you from Running through it.

That in and of itself is a significant step forward in making games go faster without sacrificing anything. That system is quantifiable and unarguably better than current 5th ed movement rules. Incidentally, it's very similar to Warmachine's movement system.

Now, I do think the document takes too many words to describe some of the rules, and with better organization the rules could be presented much more clearly and concisely. But if this is legit I'm sure it's just a draft, so we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 01-20-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

You guys can have your own opinions. A large group were I come from doesn't like the leaked rules. We don't think it is smooth. In my opinion they suck. Just because the majority of the people on this forum likes them doesn't mean that most people like them who play 40k. But maybe they do. I don't know that and nobody else on this forum knows that either. Not by a long shot is every 40k player weighing in on this.

The trouble statement came from early statements that if GW doesn't go to the leaked rules they are going to have trouble. I am not making an unsubstantiated claim. If you like these rules good on you. We don't.

And just for the record we did try these "unsmooth" rules.
    Last edited by dawnofthedead; 01-21-2012 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typo

I'm not saying it is fake because it isn't finalised, I'm saying it is another inconsistency (why have early formatting but placeholder images when final formatting will necessitate the movement of the placeholders?). The inconsistencies make me suspect it is a hoax, I do not claim to be certain of it.

But I can turn that back on you and say you're making up excuses for inconsistencies so you can convince yourself it is real. The fact is we simply don't have enough information to make a judgement one way or the other and all I'm saying is don't go getting your hopes up.

Want to explain why a development team with no German speakers would use German words in a an early draft of the 40k ruleset?
    Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Plus, this isn't by any means "finished". The fact that some re-organization was done after this version is more than possible - its likely.

Saying that its "fake" because its not a finalized, ready for publication document is stupid since all indications are that this was an early early version of the book.

It seems that you're making up reasons to think that its false.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

lol, I have this crazy desire to outflank a 5 man Chosen squad all with flamers. XD

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by dawnofthedead View Post
    You guys can have your own opinions. A large group were I come from doesn't like the leaked rules. We don't think it is smooth. In my opinion they suck.
    Justification? I can't see how taking something like separate move, run and assault moves that require you to roll dice and then streamlining it into a single move that does not require any dice rolling while still retaining all the tactical options (in fact, it actually opens up more options) could be considered unsmooth. And while that's only one specific case, the rest of the rules are similar. Assault moves? No more twelve step "move the first closest model in a perfectly straight line into contact, then the next, then the next, and if anyone goes through terrain you take the difficult terrain you have to roll and if it turns out that makes you fail the charge you have to go back and un-move all those models you already moved, sucks to be you". Mech spam a problem? Not anymore, you can't score while embarked. Spending too much time playing wound allocation games? Not any more, it's more or less back to the 4th ed rule that was so much easier. Deepstriking, reserves and outflanking are all awesome now, and are unquestionably better than the 5th ed reserve system.

I can think of examples of stuff that got significantly easier under the new rules. I can think of dozens of interesting new tactical options that the new rules allow that 5th ed didn't. I can't, however, think of anything that got more complicated.

You can stick to your opinion if you want, but I cannot see any rational justification to actually back up your opinion.

Edit: Oh, I guess the bidding for first turn thing is more complicated than a simple dice roll, though it is more tactical and requires more thought. That's about the only aspect of the rules themselves that I think needs a lot of work. The rest of it is just formatting and improving the organization of the document itself.
    Last edited by DarkLink; 01-21-2012 at 03:54 AM.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Look, I could go point by point on why I don't like the leaked rules but I am not going too. If you think the rules are great wonderful. I don't. I am not try to convince you that the rules suck. I am just saying that there are people out there that don't like them. That doesn't make our opinion wrong. You don't have to see a rational justification for my opinion. Points that you think are valid I may not. And no offense but it seems like I am getting attacked because I don't agree with the general opinion that these rules are good. This is why I don't post.
    Last edited by dawnofthedead; 01-21-2012 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo

Chapter-Master

I'm not disagreeing because I want to attack you, I'm genuinely wondering what about the rules could be flawed or if I missed something. I mean sure, the layout of the document is a little sloppy but it's a draft so you kinda have to ignore that. And the vast majority of the rules themselves are either pretty much the same as they currently are, or patently obvious improvements over the current rules. There are some rough spots that need to be ironed out of course, but again this is likely a draft. So, am I missing something?

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I'm not saying it is fake because it isn't finalised, I'm saying it is another inconsistency (why have early formatting but placeholder images when final formatting will necessitate the movement of the placeholders?).
    IIRC, the completely legitimate 5th Edition leak also had this, and the leaked GK book even featured a lot of completed art, despite changes being made in the final release. I suspect that layout and playtesting are actually done concurrently, and that there's an assumption that not many large blocks of text will be added or subtracted from the document at this stage. Or it's a mixed process, and all gets sorted in a final pass. Either way, we know that there's not a strict "finish rules, start layout" process within GW.
    Last edited by Lexington; 01-21-2012 at 04:44 PM.

all I know is if you can fire heavy weapons from out of a vehicle like it says I'll start playing again.
    "But I tell you, we were gods once, and we shall be gods again". - In defense of the future: a Logical Discourse.

Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast