BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chapter-Master

Not quite. The corsairs list is definently independant, and doesn't move anything round from its other slots (although Eldar fast attack and DE kabalites are elites choices)

But yes all the FW Eldar kit is covered.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

So how does the sworn blade retinue stack up as a cc unit? What would you see being a solid Build for them with a Prince?

Also, I was wondering about the exact wording for the alternate missile launcher for the Phoenix. A formation in IA:A2 gives them the option for a Nightfire Launcher, but uses the ambiguous wording "replace their usual missile payload with volatile nightfire warheards, which use the following profile", Which to me sounds like you're exchanging both Phoenix Missile Launchers for one Nightfire Launcher. Does it specifically say in IA11 that you get two launchers, each with 3 small blast shots? Cause if so that sounds amazing.

And one last thing, looking at the FAQ it looks as though Rangers are not a Troops choice, but rather fall under the Craftworld Outcasts like Craftworld Elite and Fast Attack choices. It also says in the FAQ you may only select a single Elite/FA/Rangers unit as an Elite choice in a Corsairs army.
    Last edited by Archon Charybdis; 01-16-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Chapter-Master

Retinue as a CC choice. Maybe. Maybe. The prince can obviously be tooled up for CC with the choice of a Harlie's Kiss, Power Weapon or Void Sabre as his swappable options, but the Retinue aren't quite so good.

There only CC weapon option for the Retinue is a power weapon. Although they are no slouch (WS4, I5, A2 + 1 for 2CCW) they aren't anything amazing. Think they work best as fire support. (although in "6th ed rules" those fusion pistols will be nice in combat. And doubling them up with a shuriken pistol (is an option) they could be getting a boat load of good attacks. Then things might change. But as it stand their main weakness is only being Strength 3. They could be comparable to Banshees I guess. Power weapons, 4 attacks on the charge, unit of 5. So 20 attacks on the charge, hitting on 4's (probably), wounding on 4's and 5's...you still won't score a lot. And with a leadership of 8, and a save of 4+ they won't last too long either.

And that would be expensive as well. Power Weapon and a Pistol would be 24 points a head. Add in a prince with a power weapon and a shimmershield to give them all a 5++ in combat and a full unit that'd be 235. Then you'd need to give them a way to get around. Thats either going to be a Falcon (130pt minimum) which isn't assault ramped so blunts assault prowess, or jump packs, at 20points for the prince and 20points for the retinue.

So i don't see them being great. Useful maybe, but they are expensive. And suffer the usual eldar frailties. Frankly giving them all fusion pistols and zipping round in a Venom melta-ing crap seems more effective

As for the Phoenix. Its going to be a rules lawyer thing until another FAQ i suspect. In my mind you get 2.

The wording is in the wargear section "Two Pheonix Missile Launchers".
    The options say "may replace both its phoenix missile launchers with Nightfire Missile Launchers"
    Then then wargears stats section lists "Phoenix Missile Launcher and Nightfire Missile Launcher".

In my reading thats 2 seperate things. The singularity when describing the weapon, but not the upgrade. If it was swapping both out for one it would say "replace both its phoenix missile launchers with a Nightfire Missile Launcher"

And thanks for the Rangers thing, i missed that
    Last edited by DrLove42; 01-17-2012 at 12:30 PM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the response. I'm not in a position to order IA11 right now, but I'm really interested in trying out a Corsair army so I'm attempting to piece together rules and points costs as best I can.

Yeah, I was thinking of the Blade Sworn as a possible Corsair replacement for Banshees. I play in a Marine heavy environment (GK especially) and like to have a unit of power weapons around, but it might just make sense to take an actual Banshee unit as the Craftworld Outcasts choice. The I10 is half of why I take them anyway, to go before halberds.

As far as the Phoenix, from what you described, it sounds like its two Nightfire Launchers to me as well. I think the IA:A2 data sheet was just poorly worded.

Take the Banshees, then put a corsair prince with shimmershield with them. 5++ for the ladies.

Drlove, can the prince give *any* unit the deep strike rule, like infantry? Im thinking fire dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenith View Post
    Take the Banshees, then put a corsair prince with shimmershield with them. 5++ for the ladies
    That's exactly what I've done the last couple games, though the Prince has gone splat each time with only having a 5++, and then I'm down a Prince and the Banshees are just as vulnerable as usual, so I may stick to the Shadowfield for him.

Speaking of Princes though, can anyone share exactly which stats of theirs are different/lower than an Archon? I just kind of winged it in the few test games I played. Also, what kind of basic wargear do they start with?

Nice review. That's the eldar codex people have been wanting since the DE book came out. It's ridiculous that Eldar tanks are BS3 and everything in the DE book is BS4. Why is there no tank driving aspect?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12