BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Quick read-through

So I had a (very) brief scan of the leaked rules and decided to create a thread about the things that struck you as interesting and maybe game-changing. The things that struck me the most was:
    -Pistols don't combine with ccws to provide an extra attack, as they are coarse weapons in close combat. Now this is interesting as it means that assault marines don't get an extra attack over tactical marines. Unless I've read it wrong and you can attack with the pistol separately it means units like flayed ones may see some use due to their attacks all being included.
    -Tanks get a -1 modifier on the damage table. This means that tanks are pretty surviveable as a 5 will only immobilise the tank, not wreck it. Although the hull breaching rules kinda make up for this it does mean that dealing with tanks might favour the MSU builds, which would be a huge shame I think for 40k.
    -The bid for the first turn is also a really good idea I think, but really punishable if you've not deployed your army very well to not go first as this will likely mean your opponent will get a load of stratagem points that May lose you the match from turn 1.

What are your thoughts about some of the new rules?

Please note I didn't make the thread for people to debate whether or not it is a hoax or not, just to see some opinions voiced over the rules.

You have misread the pistol section.

Before opening discussion on the new rule set, I would take a more thorough read through to inform yourself better of the interactions between new rules and classification systems.

In close combat, pistols can be used as primary weapons or secondary weapons. You use the strength of, and any special rules associated with the primary weapon, such as coarse.

For example, an assault marine: Bolt pistol and chainsword. In combat, you can choose either as the primary weapon.

If you choose the chainsword as primary, you use the models profile strength, you can use the pistol as secondary and gain the +1 attack. There are no other special rules.

If you choose the pistol as primary, you attack with the pistols strength (4) and AP, and special rules (coarse), meaning you can never claim the bonus attack for the chainsword. For an assault marine, it would never make sense to use a bolt pistol as primary.

A assault marine with infernus pistol, however, has to choose between chainsword as primary, getting +1A for two weapons, attacking at S4 AP6, or the infernus as primary, getting base attacks, but at S8, AP5, rending.

Chapter-Master

As usual this post comes with a heaping pile of IF THESE ARE REAL!

Parking lots are dead. The shorter range out of firepoints, the fact you have to hold objectives everyturn and can't hold while inside transports kills them

Orks are hurting. Their strongest unit (that is Nob Bikers) suffers due to new wound alloc and "patch up". Boyz no longer get saves in combat due to most CC weapons being AP6 or better

Eldar are better off , even without a new Dex. Whereas most tanks in the game got easier to hit, eldar didn't. Physkers are better, as are banshees (5++ in combat). Pathfinders are great now, much better than most other snipers

Dark Eldar do even better, with open topped vehicles being harder to kill now.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

I love the turn of play changing in a few mission types. The "you move a unit, I move a unit" idea is awesome.

Tanks got better and worse at the same time. Dedicated fire platforms are now BEAST while transports took a much needed hit. Plus, troops can generally move faster than the transport. Which makes sense.

Pistols in CC! Awesome! Sisters are gonna LOVE that rule!

Powerswords grant a parry save. A reason to take them!

flamers being able to fire a few inches off the base of the model, keeping them in line with short range weapons, but not "I'm two inches away". It never made sense to me that you would draw the line of fire starting at your feet with a flamethrower. Even rudimentary super-soaker flame throwers have an effective range of 15-20 feet.
    Borderline alcoholic and happy about it.
    Don't get your religion mixed with my Constitution. The mixture curdles.

Chapter-Master

Why does this require another thread beyond the ones that are already established?

Your ideas are not that profound such that it requires a brand new thread.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Defenestratus View Post
    Why does this require another thread beyond the ones that are already established?

Your ideas are not that profound such that it requires a brand new thread.
    Agreed.

I am merging both threads...

See? If I could do it, I would!
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Pathfinders are great now, much better than most other snipers
    "Utterly terrifying" would be closer to my description of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    "Utterly terrifying" would be closer to my description of them.
    No kidding. I played a game against a friend, and my 8 Pathfinders (before they got shot off their perch) took out half a unit of immortals in one shooting phase and a Doomscythe in another. Had I taken a couple more units of them, I could have killed an amazing amount of stuff.

As a bit of a corollary, with the changes to Pathfinders and (holy crap!) Storm Guardians, Dire Avengers now struggle to find a place. They will definitely need a boost in the new codex.