BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Just starting

WOC out this year, really?

That is the news everyone is spouting. Not sure where it originated from as GW is to tight-lipped these days.

I would definitely agree that it seems to be a pattern of bringing all the armies with weird magic in line. And it looks like they were doing magic offense before magic defense.

TK -- Probably what was the most unique magic system in the game and before the new book could easily have 15+ PD magic phases.

OnG -- With their own lores and miscast tables, these guys were also pretty out there. Part of the whole design of 8th magic seemed to be ensuring a specific balance between the power of IF with the results suffered so the special miscast tables hd to go.

Ogres - Also a unique magic system. They had a weird setup that just didn't quite function well with the new magic (plus, they were kind of due for an update anyways).

VC - maybe not entirely unique but they were still doing spell-spamming and could do things with magic that no other army could.

Now it sounds like empire is next with dwarves after them. Neither have particularly interesting offensive magic (except the anvil kind of) but they both have absurd magic defense which just doesn't mesh with the rest of 8th. Dwarves are also one of the last armies left who can still charge in any phase other than the movement phase. GW seems to be taking that ability away pretty quickly since all of TK, VC, and OnG could do it, so that could be another thing they are trying to bring in line.

So I think that for now at least, that seems to be the clearest explanation for what armies they have been updating.

Battle-Brother

MMMM new Warriors of Chaos for Christmas !

Of course it's still a rumor... but a man can dream doesn't he !?

Veteran-Sergeant

If you read Jervis WD FAQ you get an insight into how they choose. Basically an emotional choice. All his answers points to the design studio being ran like a group of enthusiasts rather than a company, which is ironic considering the flak they get.

So the choice seems to be down to what one or more designer feel like working on. This plays into the "do it right" mentality we often hear about and would explain why Brets and WE are left behind. I am 100% sure both could be turned into big sellers if the right effort was put in. WHFB's biggest appeal after all is the lack of Space Marines, ie the armies are more unique.

What I wish they do was to have an actual full schedule for each edition and operate like a big company (how many of you get to do what you feel like at work?) as I think that would be better for the hobby and GWs income. There is a lot of people who rather not play their armies because they get no love than to build a whole new army.

I think I'd rather they continue to run the development team as enthusiasts, there are enough problems with marketing influencing the design studio in some ways without opening the development studio up to the same thing. Which usually happens is you start corporatising the way thsoe sorts of units are run.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by HaleysRedComet View Post
    While it looks like there may be a pattern to the release of the 8th ed books, I would argue that they will most likely be pretty random over the long run. If they went with magic, Drarves would be done by now. If it was hordes, Skaven. I doubt that there is much forethought going into GW's release schedule here...but I could be wrong.
    Skaven was the first army to have a radically different take on magic that used the new rule set. Even though a 7th ed book, it is geared towards 8th ed magic rules. THat makes it highly unlikely to be redone anytime in the next 2-3 years.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I think I'd rather they continue to run the development team as enthusiasts, there are enough problems with marketing influencing the design studio in some ways without opening the development studio up to the same thing. Which usually happens is you start corporatising the way thsoe sorts of units are run.
    Agreed, development seems to be the last bastion left in GW that is not run like a large corporation. Sure it means I have to wait longer for my army of choice to get love but I am willing to wait!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I agree entirely. Computer games developers have to work to a tight release schedule where things are advanced months in advance and the amount of broken, bugged, half finished and frankly terrible games that are released as result is shocking. Knights of the Old Republic 2 is the classic example. What should have been an impressive follow up to one of the best games of all time was utter pap and simply stopped part way through rather than finishing, all because Mr Lucas said it had to be on the shelves for Christmas. And the model GW currently have is working well as eveything they release has very impressive models and sells well, Dark Eldar being the perfect example. Sure, it took ten years to do, but my they were worth the wait and sold far better than GW had expected.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Woohoo!!!! Possible Dwarfs and Warriors of chaos this year!!!! It's like Christmas come early... or something!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast