BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chaplain

Default I feel like a wasteful jerk

So today I was cleaning my hobby room up and reorganizing it.

For some reason, when I started playing 40K I kept all the boxes and sprues I bought...

But now, after checking all the boxes and sprues for unclipped pieces, I realize just how much plastic I'm going to throw out...

I mean, seriously, I have over 50 sprues here in total...

I'm keeping a few boxes worth, so that I can use the sprues for rubble, but I wish there were a way to recycle all this plastic.

Anyone else feel this way?
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Chapter-Master

Hang on... Checking green eco-conscience - ... wait ... something's soming through...

Don't tanks use depleted uranium sabot rounds and 2 miles to the gallon? Aren't they the bestest bestness ever since the non-stick wok?

Yeah sorry not bothered about a few wasted sprues.

Ask me again after the next ice age...
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

I keep all of my extra bitz and sprue. The bitz go into boxes, and the sprue gets cut up for use in terrain. At one point I had 1 gallon of sprue rubble. I'm now down to a mere 1/2 gallon, so it is time to start cutting sprue whilst watching television. I wouldn't want to run out.

Yes, it would be nice to be able o recycle the plastic, but it wouldn't be cost effective and shipping the sprue would lead to additional burning of fossil fuels. I think that reusing for terrain is the best option, but tossing it in the bin isn't the worst thing in the world.

Veteran-Sergeant

Mike X, I feel the same way. When I moved two years ago I realized I had piles of plastic sprue that I'd saved "in case I needed it."

I wish Games Workshop would just take the minor step of putting a little recycling triangle or two on their sprues. Here in California, at least, you can get some pretty decent per-pound prices for recycling polystyrene. Enough that a few months of sprue could net you a command squad or transport...
    Exitus Acta Probat
    http://thegrimcheapness.blogspot.com/

I agree. I'd totally be down for a way to recycle my extra sprues. It blows my mind when ever I leave the north east at how few recycling programs there are here in the states.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    Hang on... Checking green eco-conscience - ... wait ... something's soming through...

Don't tanks use depleted uranium sabot rounds and 2 miles to the gallon? Aren't they the bestest bestness ever since the non-stick wok?

Yeah sorry not bothered about a few wasted sprues.

Ask me again after the next ice age...
    It's not 'a few'...

I have 50+ sprues from building a 2,500pts list. Now imagine 50 multiplied by however many tabletop hobbyists there are, and I'm sure there are many players who've gone through way more than 50 sprues.

I'm no tree-hugger, but I know that plastic (and rubber) are one of our worst pollutants. In fact, 25% of our landfills are composed of plastic materials [[url=http://www.enviroliteracy.org/article.php/1188.html]source[/url]].

I just wish there were a way to recycle these... even send them back to GW to be melted and re-used for new sprues or something, you know?
    "What scares us is I think we needed violence."
    http://reddragons40k.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

Har Har all you funny yanks. I just throw it in my municipally provided blue recycling bin and every wednesday the city comes by in our municiapally funded recycling trucks and picks it up.. FOR FREE!

God I love taxes sometimes!

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Skragger View Post
    Har Har all you funny yanks. I just throw it in my municipally provided blue recycling bin and every wednesday the city comes by in our municiapally funded recycling trucks and picks it up.. FOR FREE!

God I love taxes sometimes!
    yup, Canada's great , if you can stand the robotic politicians- Harper *cough* *cough*
    I reject your reality and replace it with my own.

Chapter-Master

I've heard that if you take your used sprues to an official GW store, you turn them in and GW will take care of getting them recycled. I've never done it, and I only heard about it because someone mentioned on a forum, but it's worth asking about.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by entendre_entendre View Post
    yup, Canada's great , if you can stand the robotic politicians- Harper *cough* *cough*
    Amen.

Personally, I have a very large box in my closet filled with four years' worth of sprue. Someday, I'll figure out what to do with it all.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast