BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    First-Captain

Gotrex and Felix would be a great SOM unit
    For the Greater good.

I've almost finished Skavenslayer in the First Omnibus, I've really enjoyed it so far. The characterisation of the Skaven is particularly good, they almost make me interested in them as an army. Only almost though.

I enjoyed Trollslayer, too, especially the female champion of Khorne and I actually liked the one where Gotrek was bumped on the head except the bit about him being bumped on the head. Having Felix going off on his own to fix things was nifty, the reason why he had too not so much.

I'm up to the bit where Felix gets an invitation to Elector Countess Emannuelles' palace. I'm hoping we get to meet her at some point.
    Last edited by eldargal; 02-16-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Brother-Captain

The female champion of Khorne is definately one of the cooler villains they've faced, and her daughter Katrina reappears in the series much later on (in Shamanslayer in fact, which when it is compiled, will be the middle book of Omnibus 4!).

And yeah the Skaven are very fun to read (Thanquol in particular), as their scheming and paranoia is so funny at times. They are their own worst enemies.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

I finished Skavenslayer before bed last night, enjoyed it a great deal. Looking forward to Daemonslayer, though I'm going to miss Nuln. It really is well written, there was a line in the Clan Pestilens chapter about the plaguie monks rolling around in their own pus and excrement accompanied by the sounds of coughing and 'fruity farts' which was just to revolting it was humorous.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Default Love the Bill King books

I love the Bill King books, the other guy just wasn't the same. The series has gotten stale after Vampire Slayer, which itself was a little bit of a let-down. I really enjoy the portrayal of Dwarfish culture and the changes that Felix undergoes along the way.

Battle-Brother

I have just read the first Omnibus. I really liked it

Gotrek and Felix were my first Fantasy miniatures, iIrc....

I have long felt that William King pretty much wrote the same series twice - once for G&F and once for Ragnar and the SW. To me, Ragnar is far too human and maudlin, and his thoughts don't match how I feel Astartes 'should' operate - Abnett's Loken would be my 'most human' version of an Astartes, typically.

But for a human being, such thoughts and progression are A+
    So I like the G&F books much more. And SW are quite Dwarfen too....

Anway, all good stuff.

How do others pronounce Gotrek?

Go•trek
    But not Go like 'go and get some milk' but the Go part of got. Without the t, obviously :P
    A short o.

So I just finished the First Omnibus, really enjoyed it. Moving onto the second now. Took a lot longer to get the last 60 pages of Daemonslayer read on account of Mass Effect 3 and whatnot.

The last battle was very well written I thought, suitably nasty and brutish but with excellent pacing, no gratuitous lingering on details.

Seeing Ulrika introduced earlier was nice, a little cliched though. 'I'll sleep with you, soldier I only just met, because you're going to go on a suicide mission and you bested me in single combat, take off your trousers now'.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Seeing Ulrika introduced earlier was nice, a little cliched though. 'I'll sleep with you, soldier I only just met, because you're going to go on a suicide mission and you bested me in single combat, take off your trousers now'.
    Well he did best her in single combat, to the victor go the spoils and all that!

Also gotta bear in mind that the Black Library was in its infancy back then and their standards have come a long way since.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Oh I know, it isn't as if it was a huge issue or anything, it didn't even bother me I just thought 'that's been done'.

I gotta say that after nine books I got a little tired of the series. After facing down daemon lord and a massive invasion and surviving relatively unscathed it loses the sense of mortality and becomes a bit dull and repetitive. (Oh, another inescapable doom, *yawn*)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast