BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Chaplain

Well wait then, does this mean that IG psyker battle squads can or cannot use their ability in a chimera?

The rules seem to contadict themselves.

Librarian

Not at all, you can use fire points for Shooting attacks and psychic powers, you may not use it for wargear and special rules.
    Some examples Necron's: Nemesor Zahndrekh-Counter Tactics; Anrakyr the Traveller- Mind in the Machine
    Tau: Aun'va- Supremely Inspiring Presence & Ultimate Price of Failure

Chaplain

"Open-topped vehicles do not have specific fire points. Instead, all passengers in an open-topped vehicle may fire, measuring range and line of sight from the hull of the vehicle. Open-topped vehicles do not have specific access points..."

Specific is an important word, but more importantly, the word Instead. Open-topped vehicles do not have fire points. The word instead basically replaces the previous sentence.

This would also make more sense fluff-wise, someone standing on an open-topped vehicles will have a near 360 degree range of vision and would be much easier to see things on the battlefield, than a small fixed hole in the side of a tank. BUT, I don't want this to be a fluff discussion, but I know people are thinking it so I wanted to say it first.

Librarian

The problem is if you treat an open topped vehicle as if it has no fire points then the rules for it are self contained.
    That means you can fire and are allowed to measure and check LOS for shooting.
    You have no permission to use psychic powers that need LOS while embarked because you can't measure or check LOS.
    You still can't use wargear or special rules that need LOS again because there are no rules allowing you to do so.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleDV8 View Post
    The problem is if you treat an open topped vehicle as if it has no fire points then the rules for it are self contained.
    That means you can fire and are allowed to measure and check LOS for shooting.
    You have no permission to use psychic powers that need LOS while embarked because you can't measure or check LOS.
    You still can't use wargear or special rules that need LOS again because there are no rules allowing you to do so.
    I don't see how you can draw this conclusion at all.

Open Topped vehicles are not bound by the FAQ, have their own rules which specifically allow the use of "things" form inside the vehicle, and on top of that, do not have fire points anyway.

I don't see anywhere saying that open top vehicles disallow you form using wargear and other crap from inside it.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Librarian

Show me in the rule where you are allowed to use them.
    Permissive rule set, unless you have the rule to let you do it , you can't.
    Open topped allows you to measure range and LOS for shooting attacks, thats all.
    The FAQ does not come into it, except by drawing attention to this.
    The only different is if 'open topped' is a Fire Point, then you may use psychic powers that need LOS.
    If it is not a fire point then all you can do is shoot.
    Last edited by SeattleDV8; 01-18-2012 at 11:15 PM.

Chaplain

The problem I have with this part of the FAQ is this is the first time (that i know of) where this comes into play. There is no section in the rule book for special rules or wargear specifically. I am pretty sure they meant the rule to apply to those vehicles with specific fire points as it is hard to look out a small window all the time. But open topped has a near 360 degree view (yes I said this before).

The other problem is they don't fully define all the vehicles and the nuances of them. Frankly, I still don't think they have fire-points and no one thought about open-topped vehicles when coming up with this FAQ. I believe they were thinking of the abusive cheap ICs that sit in rhinos and the like, completely safe and still messing with the game. i.e. Coteaz

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12