BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default shot a vehicle, assault the passengers?

I seem to recall, that if a unit wrecked/exploded a transport in shooting, they could assault the dumped passengers in the next phase - but I can't find it. Am I making up rules again?

Chaplain

Pg, 67
    "...However, if a transport is destroyed (either result) by a ranged attack, the unit that shot it may assault the now disembarked passengers, if it is allowed to assault according to the assault rules."

there it is, I skimmed right over it. Thanks.

Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Nachodragon View Post
    Pg, 67
    "...However, if a transport is destroyed (either result) by a ranged attack, the unit that shot it may assault the now disembarked passengers, if it is allowed to assault according to the assault rules."
    totally spaced about this my self

Its the twilight years of 5th ed and with my Blood Angels its imperative I be able to assault the unit inside after I blow up their tranport with my double melta however in the last 2 months I've been asked to look up this rule no less than 4 times. Blow up the transports and get the juicy insides.

I've encountered several players recently who also question this rule, and have had to pull it up. It always surprises me... not that people forget the rule, we all forgot rules from time to time. But this one only makes sense! It drives me nuts when people assume or attempt to argue that a unit in the 41st millennium isn't capable of shooting AND assaulting. I'll take it a step further; I would be happy if in 6th ed they allowed you to shoot at a unit then assault a *different* unit (assuming you have range of course).

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by joesavestheday View Post
    I would be happy if in 6th ed they allowed you to shoot at a unit then assault a *different* unit (assuming you have range of course).
    I mis-read the existing rule as such during a tournament, once... unfortunately, on closer reading, my Tactical Marine Sergeant didn't get the chance to take down two Landspeeders in one turn.
    We Will Strike With The Arms Of Gods
    And Leave Nothing In Our Wake

The thing that really sucked is the last time it was brought up was in a tournament and my opponent was fine with it but some bystander was insistent that I could not do it and had to be told by the TO that it was indeed allowed.