BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melta Spam

Chapter-Master

Default Melta Spam

Every one accepts melta spam as a fact now.

Get over it

This isn't about is it bad or good. This is a bit of a hypothetical question.

Melta is a 2 bladed weapon. It adds to the damage table (AP1). And gives enhanced penetration (2D6).

Do you think they would be as prevalent with only one of these rules? Say Strength 9, plus one on the table but no pen bonus. Or a weapon that still pentrates as easily, but doesn't affect the roll?

Something I was just curious about....random musings and all that.
    Last edited by DrLove42; 01-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Probably, as there aren't many single bladed weapons to compete with it (i.e. AP1 no melta or Melta with AP2 or worse) and where these are available they often don't have options for mass melta. Exceptions would probably be something like IG or craftworld eldar if they had more reasonably priced lances.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    And gives enhanced penetration (2D6).
    Heh.

www.queencityguard.com

If instead of 2d6 the melta rule just conferred a flat +1 or +2 to penetration rolls, like Tank Hunters, I think people would probably still take them. Though, then you might finally see plasma guns show up a bit more.
    Last edited by Archon Charybdis; 01-17-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post
    Heh.

That's Quagmire!

hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Archon Charybdis View Post
    If instead of 2d6 the melta rule just conferred a flat +1 or +2 to penetration rolls, like Tank Hunters, I think people would probably still take them. Though, then you might finally see plasma guns show up a bit more.
    You would see a hell of a lot more ordinance and lascannons too. What makes melta so great is about 75% the ease of penetrating even heavy armor and therefore doing something and 25% the added chance of doing major damage. I mostly like how effective melta is, despite the fact that one of my armies doesn't have access to it and the other has very limited access ('nids and GK) just because it works as one of the few deterrents to taking vehicles. There are enough parking lots as it is, we don't need vehicles to get tougher.

Chapter-Master

Meltas are good not because meltas are good, but because vehicles are too good in 5th edition.

I have no issues with melta weaponry at all. My issue is 35 point rhinos and 55 point chimeras with the 5th edition vehicle damage chart and rules.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Occuli Imperator

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonTurkey View Post
    You would see a hell of a lot more ordinance and lascannons too.
    When going tank huntin I always take Lascannons above ordinance. Lascannon's do not scatter (yes they miss) but unless the ordiance hole is over the hull the strength is halved down to a maximum of 5 making it ineffective against anything with AV 12 or more

Banned

There are 3 more factors for the Melta spam.

1) Meltaguns are Assault 1. Being able to move, shoot, AND Assault the target is a huge advantage. If you notice, Multimeltas are rare on Infantry because they are Heavy.

2) They cause ID to everything but Monnstrous Creatures and the tougest infantry.

3) They are cheap. Additional penetration, AP, Assault, and ID are all awesome, but when you can fit all that in to a package the costs less than Plasma? It's not a question of 'Why?', but 'Why not?'

Rate of fire and range are the only reasons not to take meltaguns in all but a few isolated cases (which are shrinking with every new codex). Vehicle spam just adds to the reasons for meltaspam.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    Every one accepts melta spam as a fact now.

Get over it

This isn't about is it bad or good. This is a bit of a hypothetical question.

Melta is a 2 bladed weapon. It adds to the damage table (AP1). And gives enhanced penetration (2D6).

Do you think they would be as prevalent with only one of these rules? Say Strength 9, plus one on the table but no pen bonus. Or a weapon that still pentrates as easily, but doesn't affect the roll?

Something I was just curious about....random musings and all that.
    If they only had AP1, I wouldn't take them. I'd stock up on Missile Launchers and Autocannons instead.

If they only had 2d6 penetration, I'd still take them. It's one of the few ways you can be reasonably sure you're going to take down an AV14 target. That advantage, IMO, is way more important than +1 on the damage chart. If you don't penetrate in the first place, +1 damage doesn't do any good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast