BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    FW had some good reasons for not accepting paypal last time I saw them talk about it on the Facebook page. I don't remember what they were, though.
    I would imagine Paypal charges companies for using its services.

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    But GW had a 40% profit increase!!! Surely they could afford to help with shipping now, right? Especially with Finecrap being so cheap to make and all, according to GW themselves...
    Games Workshop did, but FW is seperate an entirely seperate company (albeit one wholly owned by GW). As such, FW is responsible for running itself which means no subsidies from GW and that they have to turn a profit themselves. FW will be responsible for all it's own production costs, meaning it is paying for the books, not GW. And you don't maintain 40% profit increases by propping up loss making companies.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I would imagine Paypal charges companies for using its services.
    They do. I forget the exact percentage, but its enough when I get my bill each month I say *ouch*.

Its a little surprising FW are so bothered by the postage cost of a book tbh - seems their profit margins are thinner than I would have guessed. I'd love to see their annual reports

It was more than just Paypal charges, though. Something about the way their billing and production departments interact and something about warehouses? Its irritatingly on the edge of my memory.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

I find it very hard to believe that FW cant afford to use paypal, when much smaller companies can. I know its about profit and not just size but just about everyone accepts it now even GW. When you look at all the much smaller model companies that do take Paypal (I mean retail in general) it just smacks of talking bollocks really. On the other side of the coin Amazon don't take it either.

Yay Wayland games really as they supply FW products and take Paypal although delivery time is a little longer.

Correct me if I am wrong but I am sure a good couple years ago you could order and pay for FW products though your local GW store. I know I did a couple of times when the Manager in my local would bend over backwards to help his customers out. Hell They sold the FW books off the shelf.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 01-22-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Like I said, I'm sure it was more than the fees.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Games Workshop did, but FW is seperate an entirely seperate company (albeit one wholly owned by GW). As such, FW is responsible for running itself which means no subsidies from GW and that they have to turn a profit themselves. FW will be responsible for all it's own production costs, meaning it is paying for the books, not GW. And you don't maintain 40% profit increases by propping up loss making companies.
    Well, then FW is doing worse than anyone ever thought then.
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Brother-Sergeant

Well there seems to be one small silver lining, mentioned here on there "[URL="http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/wnt/blog.jsp?pid=900084-gws"]What's New Today[/URL]" an article about Imperial Armour 11: Doom of Mymeara

Quote Originally Posted by What's New Today, by Mark Newton
    Imperial Armour Volume 11: The Doom of Mymeara, is available again in Hobby Centres or from the Forge World website.
    Available in Hobby Centres is the key sentence I like. Still I liked the option of ordering it or even the possibility of shipping a copy to your local store. I suppose you can call a store in advance see if they have a copy of your book or just roll the dice on the off chance they have it when you make a random visit.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post
    Well, then FW is doing worse than anyone ever thought then.
    I don't think they are doing badly, quite the opposite in fact, but where is the sense in them letting GW do free shipping of their stuff and having to foot the bill themsleves, if they are charging for shipping from their own website? Also, it forces people to go the Forgeworld website to get that book, and while you're there, you might as well pick up some of those really cool new models they just released....
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

I don't think they are doing badly, quite the opposite in fact, but where is the sense in them letting GW do free shipping of their stuff and having to foot the bill themsleves, if they are charging for shipping from their own website? Also, it forces people to go the Forgeworld website to get that book, and while you're there, you might as well pick up some of those really cool new models they just released....
    Oh... I see... So now GW is making me pay for their advertisement? Sounds about right..
    40k Dark Eldar HORDES - Legion of Everblight / INFINITY - Yu Jing, HaqqIslam

Let's put this in perspective. Before you could buy one small fraction of the FW range, the books, from GW at a cost greater than FW charges everywhere but in the UK, made marginally more palatable by free shipping. Now you just have to buy everything from FW. Oh noes!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast