BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Someones going to be sticking a large needle in me

Well that about says it all really.

To sum it up, I'm on the Bone Marrow Donor list. And my match is up, so sometime in the next 3 months i'm probably going to pop down to Merry old London and have someone stick a large needle in me pelvis and suck it dry. (Maybe - there are other options for collection)

I've been on the list for years and definently don't want to back out of what is a great cause. However know i've got the letter confirming i'm a positive match, and i've informed work of the fact i might need time off and the disruption it'll cause I'm starting to feel a lot more nervous about it.

I'm also going to do my bit and push the Charity and encourage anyone in the UK (i'm sure there are similar schemes in the US and abroad, but this trust is UK only) to sign up to the register.

Its free, and although you are unlikely to be called up, if you do you're saving a life. (I've been on the register 4 years and have been called up twice - only once reaching this stage. On the other hand my dads been on the list for nearly 30 and has never been called on)

So go sign up and do some more good in the world

[url]http://www.anthonynolan.org/What-you-can-do/save-a-life/Online-application.aspx[/url]
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Brother-Captain

Good for you! I've been meaning to put my name on the bone marrow donor registry for some time now. In the US, I know my particular genetic makeup is in demand with the donor banks, being as I have significant Spanish / Native American ancestry. You've inspired me to request a donor analysis kit.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Chapter-Master

Good for you, its a noble cause.

I got my shipping orders. London for a day for a medical in February.

Then into Hospital (in London) on the 6/7th march. And the title of this thread is now wrong. It should read "they're going to stick lots of needles into me. Repeatedly." The patient best matches stem cells from the blood, so its 4 injections a day, for 4 days before hand, then to hospital for an extended blood donation...

Adeptus Custodes

Sounds awful, good luck.
    More Necromunda please.

Librarian

Wow, that is no small thing your doing. It is one thing to give money towards a cause, its a whole other thing to give a part of yourself up to help another human being. That is amazing of you, I would love to do stuff like giving blood or plasma, or even marrow if i could. Sadly here in the US, being trans and a lesbian, they immediately assume im all full of STI's and they don't want my stuff, its really frustrating.

Wonderful cause though, that is very wonderful of you to help someone like that, that is true charity.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

I'm not allowed to donate marrow because I had hepatitis eight or nine years ago. Still no idea how I managed to get it. I'm allowed to give blood though.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

I've never understood the "gay people can't donate" ruling. I get that samples have to be "clean" and in the 70's most STD were in the gay male community, but this day and age they are just as equally spread. They constantly harp on about needing more donors and yet consistantly turn away a large number of people for stereotyping them

I agree, at least you could do some blood tests before turning them away. I had to have tests done 'cos of the hepatitis thing, but it was fine. Do they not allow homosexuals etc to donate blood in the UK? I was never asked about sexuality.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I agree, at least you could do some blood tests before turning them away. I had to have tests done 'cos of the hepatitis thing, but it was fine. Do they not allow homosexuals etc to donate blood in the UK? I was never asked about sexuality.
    I don't know about Lesbians but men get asked if they have ever participated in gay sex. There was a big campaign a few years back to open it up to all people, but don't think anything came of it

Hm well they only asked me about recent sexual activity, I assumed it was all encompassing and a standard question for everyone. It is stilly, though personally I'm looking forward to scientists being able to create artificial blood in sufficient quantities to render blood donation unnecessary.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast